[center]Aliens and dragons clash--but was it all a terrible mistake?[/center]
Over eight centuries have passed since the discovery of AIVAS and the end of Threadfall. Dragonriders have spent the turns feeling out new roles in society and while the Weyrs still exist, they are smaller and more spread out. The trouble started twenty-five turns ago: Dragons and riders out flying alone began to go missing, only to return hours, days, or even weeks later, claiming to have no memory of what had happened to them during that time.
The mystery became even stranger when a pregnant queen was "abducted," to return a week later with her rider--neither of them had any idea what had happened. During her first clutch, it was a surprise when she hatched red and black dragons as well as the other colors, even a medium-sized purple, and her descendants spread them to other Weyrs. Both female colors turned out to be fertile as well, though with a higher number of dud eggs than golds; this led to another problem; people began to fear that if the new dragons continued to breed, they would face an increase in dragon population they had not had to deal with since the time of Thread and tithing.
One turn ago, disaster struck all of Pern with the arrival of the alien Yaroii. A strange, foreboding object was detected in the sky by dragonriders from the Starsmith Craft, and with the dragons sensing an almost inexplicable danger from it, they attempted to push it away from Pern telekinetically. The object was an alien spaceship, though, and fired back at them with advanced weaponry. The ship crash-landed on Pern's surface, near the island of Ista, and the strange beings inside soon attacked the nearest settlements, slaying many of the humans and dragons with their weaponry and forcing the rest into hiding, before spreading to the rest of the island. Ista Weyr and the islands' holds are no more; now it's the territory of the alien Yaroii, but for now they seem to be confined to the island. No one expects that to last, however, and all of Pern is bracing itself for another assault. It is now the end of Turn 873 of Pern's Final Interval, and everybody is in trouble.
Quindell Weyr offers:
- Three new colors, including two female clutchers
- Positions available at every rank and of every color except gold, though the Senior Queen will be rising a bit early.
- The chance to explore how Pern has changed in eight centuries and the new roles dragonriders have taken
- A Pern threatened by too many dragons, rather than too few
- And there's the threat/dilemma of the Yaroii, a lizard-like alien race who came to what they thought was an uninhabited planet and got a rude welcome. Neither side is entirely faultless, but can they learn to communicate or will they exterminate one another first?