SPECIAL EVENT: MOONFISH RUN
SO. This will get started shortly, and will probably last one to two OOC weeks. For those of us oldies that recall the original Moonfish threads and how they were organized, this should be a review. For those of you newer players, some back-story is in order.
SETTING AND INFORMATIONMoonfish,
a species of fish similar to salmon and created in the Zoo by the retired SuperMod Vattna swim upstream from the oceans into various rivers on Pern every turn or two to spawn. One such river is our very own Akalam River, located in the Tribe's Weyrbowl. They range in size from three to four feet in length, some larger, some smaller, and weigh anywhere from 30 lbs to 50lbs, again, some larger, some smaller. Also, they are really very tasty.
Given that the Tribe has had about two turns to work out their food shortage from the Northern Invasion plot, they should have all the food stores they need back up and restocked... but that isn't what you lot are having for dinner the evening of the Run. ;P
When Moonfish Runs are expected, the moment the first fishes are seen, the kitchens close up for the day. Yes, for the day
. Meaning you won't have an already prepared dinner to go to (unless you are bedridden in the Infirmary and are physically incapable of actually getting your own food). Instead, they start setting up lots of torches and glows for light, smokers, drying racks, pots for boiling, ceramic jars for pickling/canning/preserving, tables for cleaning/gutting/scaling, pits for grilling and serving food/drink while everyone fishes, stations for on-the-spot net-mending, and lots of empty woven baskets to line up along the riverbank in the Weyr Bowl. Took them the rest of the day and well into the evening to set all that stuff up, so you all missed out on the last meal of the day. Gigantic Weyr-wide barbecue, anyone?
So, much like how the original event was separated into three threads, so too will this one. :3 One mostly for candidates/wherlings/weyrlings, one mostly for weyrfolk/those using nets, and one for the thread in which our scary surprise and nom critters, the Water-whers
, big amphibians that love Moonfish just as much as the rest of us, will come in on that is open to anyone. These three threads will all be within shouting distance of one another, and you can move freely between them without any issue. Keep in mind, you are all HUNGRY and it is early in/in the middle of the NIGHT. All characters will have been told of this event ahead of time off-camera, because seriously, no one had dinner except those in the infirmary. C'mon. Not hard to notice there's no food. xD
As an extra and obvious note: You don't have to attend this if you don't want to.
I mean really. This is just supposed to be something fun for people to play in. ;P If you don't want to play, then you do not have to post at all. Or you can have your characters sitting on the sand with my Seerie and Razielth, one who will be grilling like a grump, and the other playing a lifeguard, since she can see pretty well at night for a dragon. ;P
RULESCandidates, Weyrlings, and Wherlings
- You will be catching these fish with your bare hands! ... Or teeth, in the case of dragonets and wherlets. Dragonets and Wherlets can eat their catches right there on the sand - they don't have to be cooked, for obvious reasons. Riders, Wher Handlers, Dragons, Dragonets who are EATING, and anyone NOT giving fish to Candidates/Weyrlings/Wherlings
- You will have to fill up a grand total of five baskets with five fish in each basket before the dinner thread will be made for your characters to take a break and eat. 'Cause, ya know, you're all hungry, and everyone needs some dinner. ;P After the dinner thread is completed, any additional fish caught will earn you marks. (And I do mean real ones, not just IC ones.)
- The tally is two marks per one fish brought to Seerie, who will be playing the grilling watchrider of doom. ;P THUS. Your fish will be NPC'd... and will totally equal lulz. Ask Minstrel. She knows.
SO. Moving on.
- The baskets to be filled aren't that far up on the shoreline, maybe 15 feet max, so there's not too much walking to haul your catch in.
- Also, if you work as teams, the fish counts for ALL members of the team. Teamwork and ingenuity are encouraged! Mingle, people, mingle! Candidates, get to know each other, weyrlings, get to know each other, candidates and weyrlings get to know each other. V'rge hasn't been around to give his "why you suck" speech, so everyone should be in good spirits. Also. Pairing up with someone who has a fish-catching machine is a Good Idea. Keep in mind all the fishing things candidates, weyrlings, and wherlings will have on them are things they had in their chests of stuff, on their person, or within easy reach. (Belt knives, for example.)
... But please no crossbows or bows! High-velocity projectile weapons are Not A Good Thing in a crowded area.
... And someone please make sure Tony doesn't have any explosives too close to the general populace and doesn't send too many fish guts everywhere. They have to be in enough pieces to be grilled, you know, and if he blows them all up, people will be bringing in 1/3 a fish, or 1/2 a fish... not to mention possible blown up human limbs. Which isn't all that tasty. XD ((Werecat's Note: Ouch! True, but ouch nonetheless. ))
- You lot catch your fish automatically. Duh. That way fishies will only need to be NPC'd for candidates/weyrlings/wherlings.
- And speaking of eating... Seerie will offer anyone bringing her a fish a little slice of fresh sashimi to help tide them over before dinner.
- You don't have to wait for responses if you don't want to, it's perfectly fine to just say "Character drops off the fish in the basket and dives back into the water after a SUPER-HUGE FISH!" It's all good, 'cause even though Rhu has no life and is on here all the time, she does sometimes get distracted. xD
won the last one with N'mir while he was a candidate (6 fish total, god!), so she's the one to beat! ;P <3
Savie's Addition: And it sucks I have no Weyrlings or Candidates to try holding onto my title
Y'all are sure lucky about that one!
RUNNING FISH CAUGHT TALLYKey:
Current Catch Total: 33
of 25 Strikes
mean the fish was caught, but a bonded creature ate it instead of it going into the basket for the 25 fish count, thus it doesn't count for anything other than story glory.Italics
mean that the fish in question was extra large, between 50 and 55 lbs or larger.Underlined
fishies are those that were extra small, between 25 and 30 lbs or smaller.Weyrling Tony and Mevenirth
- (By blowing stuff up association) One flopping fish
, Exploded Moonfish, Exploded Moonfish 2, Exploded Moonfish 3
, KO'ed Moonfish, Blown Up MoonfishMikhail
- KO'ed Moonfish, Blown Up MoonfishWeyrling Messa and Lyriath
- MyGSD Moonfish
(Team Effort), Exploded Moonfish 3
(Team Effort), Hardly Leonine MoonfishWeyrling Navidya and Havarith
, Mini Moonfish
, MyGSD Moonfish
(Team Effort), Exploded Moonfish 3
(Team Effort)Weyrling D'kon and Chemaloth
- Flying Moonfish, Wicked Moonfish, Exploded Moonfish 2Kalaht
- HYPER SPAZZ FISHTiaholt
- Hey Thar Sugar FishChaler
- Buckaroo FishWeyrling Catera and Versath
- Medium Moonfish,
, XXX Moonfish, What-were-you-thinking?! Moonfish, SKREEM Fish, Wot FishWeyrling Da'en and Suvarith
- Teeny Moonfish
, Wiggle Moonfish (Team Effort),
, Mid-Moonfish (Team Effort), Exploded Moonfish
, Meedle Feesh (Team Effort), Teeneh Feesh
(Team Effort), Twofer Fish 1 (Team Effort), Twofer Fish 2 (Team Effort)Weyrling Liryk and Valyrith
- Wiggle Moonfish (Team Effort), Mid-Moonfish (Team Effort), MyGSD Moonfish
(Team Effort), Meedle Feesh (Team Effort), Teeneh Feesh
(Team Effort), Twofer Fish 1 (Team Effort), Twofer Fish 2 (Team Effort)Weyrling Aerowen and Morshanth
- Small Moonfish
, Decent MoonfishWeyrling At'ves and Brunhilth
- Duuuuurr Fish, Bitchgerroffme FishVaras
- Twitchy MoonfishWeyrling R'eil and Povorieth
- Passerby Moonfish, Herpy MoonfishWherling Souser and Sousk
- ERMEHGERD WURR Fish