InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to NeoPound.com Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Nanowrimo 2010
Catty
Posted: Oct 25 2010, 11:46 PM

my boobs went that way

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,913

hey you guys I kind of wonder

Who has their novel all mapped out? Who's going into this with nothing at all?
Or to what extent do you have your contents planned?

I know I what I'm going to write about and I guess I could technically just plunge into it without thinking, but I know that's not enough to keep me writing and I'm freaking out over essential details and points I want to cover, which I know I will not have done by november but I'll try anyway derp.

--------------------
Sun
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 12:00 AM

give me the strength to be a fragile coward
Group Icon

Group: Board Moderators
Member No.: 238

I have concepts in my head of what the characters will be like and what the basic idea behind the story will be, but I'm not sure yet where it will end up going. I also have some ideas for themes I want to explore relating to the characters, one of which will probably offend someone if anyone reads my stuff. Oops.

--------------------
Kei_
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 12:04 AM

crack the shutters open wide

Member No.: 5,746

I have concepts and a few scenes mapped out, but as to where they go and exact details (and most of the story!), I'm just going to be going along with it as the month goes. c:

guys guys guys
seven days

--------------------
da | tumblr | mindspace wiki | etsy
GT: what does your time machine look like? a phone booth? phone booths are a popular thing for some reason.
Suiqu
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 12:16 AM

YOUTH CULTURE FOREVEERRRRRR!

Member No.: 7,622

I actually have most of it laid out. A while ago, before even considering nano, I wrote down an outline for my whole novel, from the beginning to the ending chapter and small summaries for each to give me an idea what I would be writing about. Of course, that's only a rough draft so some of it may change as I actually do the writing.

--------------------
EB: it is so sweet, i look like link, if zelda was a quest about an elf scientist.
EB: i am the wind waker. it's me.
Ericka
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 12:50 AM

the internet is NOT A BIG TRUCK

Member No.: 8,967

i am planning to write an intentionally awful thing
hence i am not planning it at all

if i get ten thousand words i will be surprised

also though if i end up actually trying, i may just write a series of vignettes that are going to be awful anyway

--------------------
GC: D3RRRRP, N1C3 JOB 4C3 G4M3R

user posted image

cephaloPodcast [CP] began trolling everyone

CP: science
CP: we just did science

cephaloPodcast [CP]
ceased trolling everyone
shalnya
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 01:09 AM

Memento Mori

Member No.: 7,321

QUOTE (Catty @ Oct 25 2010, 11:46 PM)

I have my beginning planned pretty clearly, with a list of scenes and whatnot (hurray index cards!), and I'm currently working on my middle/ending. I know what my main plot points are already, but I am so not a pantser that I need a complete outline, otherwise I know I'll just go '... so now what?' somewhere in the middle and just give up. The outline provides me with a peace of mind I couldn't have otherwise, even if I do stray from it. I like to think of it as a safety net.
/ends rambling

Anyway. I'm not finished planning yet, but I can't wait for November 1st already >_<; /rolls around

--------------------
user posted image
DictatorEuro
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 05:17 PM

Theres a party up at Schindlers & Im on his A-list

Member No.: 5,299

FAAV pt 2 is pretty much all mapped out XD i mean all I got to get to 1921
8U

--------------------

user posted image

Hans, Have You taken a look at our Uniforms?
They've got Skulls on them

Main: DogFighting
SnapCat456.Deviantart.com
Refs: 1 -x- 2

MissDrew
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 05:57 PM

ATTENTION ENTIRE WORLD
Group Icon

Group: Site Admins
Member No.: 12,090

QUOTE (Catty @ Oct 25 2010, 11:46 PM)

I know I what I'm going to write about and I guess I could technically just plunge into it without thinking, but I know that's not enough to keep me writing and I'm freaking out over essential details and points I want to cover, which I know I will not have done by november but I'll try anyway derp.

Now I've got my story plot, I know the start, most of the end, but I'm working on the middle (: I'm also thinking up chapter titles, and I find that helps?

--------------------
Aspen
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 08:55 PM

HAVE A SUPERTIME!!!

Member No.: 8,474

I'm just taking a very very old character of mine that never got developed, and I'm using it as a way to actually flesh out their story |D
but I honestly have no idea where to go with it

--------------------
tehtwi
Posted: Oct 27 2010, 07:18 AM

A wild Twi appeared!

Member No.: 3,907

I didn't really write a linear plot outline... more like just 15 scenes that I know I want to eventually get down on paper for the group of characters I'm using. They range from things as vague as "Rainy Saturday Morning" and "Lunch at Work," to really specific. So if I get stuck writing regularly I'll go to the list and not let myself stop writing for the day until the scene is done. Although, to be honest I'm cheating and trying to fill in the blanks of last years 25k instead of starting a brand new story tongue.gif

--------------------

user posted image user posted image
Nix
Posted: Oct 28 2010, 06:56 PM

THE NIXINATOR.

Member No.: 10,551

Oh! Thanks for reminding me of this - I was seriously thinking of actually participating this year and didn't realize that the first is only a few days away. Yay! :'D

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/528504

Feel free to add me. :3

--------------------

Neo | DA
user posted image user posted image
Danke Kned for the awesome sprites. <3
HBRQueen
Posted: Oct 29 2010, 08:03 PM

is hawt by deFAULT.

Member No.: 524

I know what's vaguely going to happen and who's gonna die, but other than that... not rly. I just let it come out.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
Catty
Posted: Nov 1 2010, 05:18 AM

my boobs went that way

pfff we begin tomorrow
G' luck, y' all.

--------------------
MissDrew
Posted: Nov 1 2010, 08:39 AM

ATTENTION ENTIRE WORLD
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,090

It's started ^__^!
Good luck to everyone!
What kind of things are people writing about? Mine's basically this girl (my character Nim) being accused of releasing the Greek monsters from Tartarus, and learning how to hunt them down to return their souls to Tartarus. It's a prequel to her current story, and yeah...it's strange xD

--------------------
Suiqu
Posted: Nov 1 2010, 09:21 PM

YOUTH CULTURE FOREVEERRRRRR!

Member No.: 7,622

I was pretty much busy all day at school today so I didn't have too much time to sneak some writing...but I did get a paragraph or so written! After I finish everything I have to finish for today, I am writing this story. >:U And I have candy and food so that should keep me going...or not.

--------------------
EB: it is so sweet, i look like link, if zelda was a quest about an elf scientist.
EB: i am the wind waker. it's me.
Ericka
Posted: Nov 1 2010, 10:45 PM

the internet is NOT A BIG TRUCK

Member No.: 8,967

yeah i'm probably going to end up not doing this
wayyyyyyyy too much stuff
fart

--------------------
GC: D3RRRRP, N1C3 JOB 4C3 G4M3R

user posted image

cephaloPodcast [CP] began trolling everyone

CP: science
CP: we just did science

cephaloPodcast [CP]
ceased trolling everyone
songbird
Posted: Nov 2 2010, 01:09 AM

Elite Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,133

got about a page written at school today.
working on homework now. and then i need to finish my art exchange pic.
dunno when i'll be able to actually start writing... >>
Catty
Posted: Nov 2 2010, 06:54 AM

my boobs went that way

So what's your word count plan/schedule? Did you meet it today?

I'm trying to stick with the old 1666 words a day, though I may cut back on a couple hundred words some days to accommodate for larger workloads and just write more on the weekends. I met my goal today - just got to learn to write faster and keep this up orz

--------------------
Brolivia
Posted: Nov 2 2010, 08:18 AM

Funking REVOLUTION.

Member No.: 2,071

I wanted to do it this year, but pfffft it's just not reasonable with my current workload. However I've had this open in a tab in my browser for a while, forgetting that someone told me to read it, and I did just now, and I thought I would post it here for you in case it helps.

--------------------
Hey.
Diane
Posted: Nov 2 2010, 11:57 PM

Caw caw!

Member No.: 1,381

For some reason I'm actually really in the mood to write, lately. So I might go ahead and do this after all. But I'm definitely not doing anything serious with an actual plot or anything. Nor do I guarantee I'll finish what i start. I figure I'll just use this as an excuse to get a better feel for a few of my characters, instead of actually trying to write a coherent story...

...so I'm sending a bunch of my characters on a road trip to a gender conference in Raine's truck and Karl/Lily/Demi's bus.

--------------------
songbird
Posted: Nov 3 2010, 01:58 AM

Elite Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,133

....well i am already 11 pages behind.
Kei_
Posted: Nov 3 2010, 02:10 AM

going for 25k this year. I am about 500 words behind. Time to write.

--------------------
GT: what does your time machine look like? a phone booth? phone booths are a popular thing for some reason.
Sybil
Posted: Nov 6 2010, 05:27 PM

this forum is community and i am abed

Member No.: 11,887

bleh, I barely have breathing space, but I am going to try and stick with my 1.3k words a day now that I have a workable computer.

so far I have one story in a McCarthy/Hemingwayesque style and another in a Faulkner/Fitzgerald style.

aisus.

i am going to take William Forrester's advice here and write first with my heart then edit with my brain.
this pretty much equates to vomiting everywhere then mopping it up

--------------------
Miss Person says:
wait you were harrassing me
i thought that was you
socializing
Catty
Posted: Nov 7 2010, 12:33 AM

my boobs went that way

^ that's what I'm trying to do (writing vomit)
But most of the time it's me lingering over terrible writing and having long periods of the cessation of writing to battle with internal editor
As a result, I'm successfully not editing but am about 2333 words behind, not including today's goal. : D

--------------------
HBRQueen
Posted: Nov 7 2010, 05:39 PM

is hawt by deFAULT.

Member No.: 524

Dude. Write or Die, Kamikaze mode. I wrote 814 words in 18 minutes.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
Kei_
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 02:42 AM

this is a pretty good pep talk.

Dear NaNoWriMo Author,

Way down deep in the dark archives of my hard drive, I have a folder called Follies, which contains an impressive collection of abandoned stories: There's the zombie apocalypse novel about corn genetics, the sequel, the one about the Kuwaiti American bowling prodigy, the desert island novel, and many more. These stories have only one thing in common: They're all about 25,000 words.

Why do I quit halfway in? I get tired. It's not fun anymore. The story kind of sucks, and it's hard to sit down every day and spend several hours eating from a giant bowl of suck. And most of all, like the kid who spends hours preparing plastic armies for war, I enjoy setting things up more than I enjoy the battle itself. To finish something is to be disappointed. By definition, abandoned novels are more promising than completed ones.

You have likely reached the moment in this insane endeavor when you need a rock-solid answer to the question of why, precisely, you are trying to write a novel in a month. You have likely realized that your novel is not very good, at least not yet, and that finishing it will be a hell of a lot less fun than starting it was.

So quit. Quit now, or if you're among the many of us who've already quit, stay quit. Look, we are all going to die. The whole species will cease to exist at some point, and there will be no one left to remember that any of us ever did anything: Our creations, all of them, will crumble, and the entire experiment of human consciousness will be filed away, unread, in the Follies folder of the great interstellar hard drive. So why write another word?

Sorry. I reached the halfway point of this pep talk and tumbled, as one does, into inconsolable despair.

Here's my answer to the very real existential crisis that grips me midway through everything I've ever tried to do: I think stories help us fight the nihilistic urges that constantly threaten to consume us.

At this point, you've probably realized that it's nearly impossible to write a good book in a month. I've been at this a while and have yet to write a book in less than three years. All of us harbor secret hopes that a magnificent novel will tumble out of the sky and appear on our screens, but almost universally, writing is hard, slow, and totally unglamorous. So why finish what you've started? Because in two weeks, when you are done, you will be grateful for the experience. Also, you will have learned a lot about writing and humanness and the inestimable value of tilting at windmills.

Something else about my Follies folder: It contains the final drafts of my novels Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns. They are follies, too—finished ones. Whether you're reading or writing, there is nothing magical about how you get from the middle of a book to the end of one. As Robert Frost put it, “The only way out is through.”

So here's the pep part of my pep talk: Go spit in the face of our inevitable obsolescence and finish your @#$&ng novel.

Best wishes,
John Green

--------------------
Kei_
Posted: Nov 23 2010, 02:26 AM

WHOOPS DOUBLE POST
but this is too good. The NaNo team dares you.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/NaNoWriMo/videos/43/

. . in Bangladesh.

--------------------
DictatorEuro
Posted: Dec 1 2010, 12:54 AM

Theres a party up at Schindlers & Im on his A-list

Member No.: 5,299

user posted image

How are you guys doing?

--------------------

user posted image

Hans, Have You taken a look at our Uniforms?
They've got Skulls on them

Main: DogFighting
SnapCat456.Deviantart.com
Refs: 1 -x- 2

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1761 seconds | Archive

Neopets Characters © 2000-2011 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Used With Permission
All other content © NeoPound.com

Banner and forum skin coded by Dorothy. Buttons by Ophelia.