zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to UCPSB :: the Collective Pen Spinning Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ringaround Normal 23-12 Thread, Twisted RingAround?
Eburt
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:54 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 263

Firstly, let me preface this by saying that credits for the trick go to Bajamba.

Also, note that the name we came up with is not definately final, but we liked it. And lastly, I think this trick is new, I looked all over for something like it and found nothing (with the possible exception of a variation on a rev basketball spin, but its not very much like that.)

This trick is basically initiated by holding the pen in 23 (could be done in other fingers) at the very tips of the fingers. This may make it slightly hard to link, but with practice its not bad at all. Then 2 is brought behind 3, and crosses to the other side, where the very tip is brought down. This exercise should be mastered before trying the trick with a pen (see second video) though you might be able to hurt yourself streching that far, so please be careful.

Once you can do that you do it quickly with a pen causing the pen to do one complete rotation arround 3 (which is now in front of 2) and catching the pen by moving 1 to stop it as if it were a pass. The name Twisted RingArround is derived from the fact that it is basically an RA that is initiated and caught in a very odd manner. Also note that a reverse basketball spin can be initiated in this fashion. If you still don't understand the trick, take a look at this vid, performed by Bajamba (sorry about the lighting, it was the best we could do):

http://media.putfile.com/Twisted-RingArround

And to make it a bit easier to understand/see I attempted to make a bit of a tutorial, showing how the pen and fingers move:

http://media.putfile.com/Twisted-RingArround-Tut

My version also shows the tricks we named Demon's Twisted RA and Devil's Twisted RA. The Demon's, is basically not catching it with 1, but letting it rotate another .5 arround the twisted 23 and it is caught with 4. Devil's is similar, but has more of a shadowy look, because you would get the pen to spin on top of 23 for at least .5 rotations, before falling into 4, though it could also still be caught with 1. I have yet to toy with the idea of uncrossing the fingers and catching it in 23, but I think that would also be possible. Other variations could include reverses and doing it with other fingers. I believe it could be done with 34 (though not the Demon's), 23, 12, and t1 (though not the normal, only Demon's/Devil's) and of course, similar fashion for revs.

On a final note we need a bit of help naming. Of course if someone comes up with a better name it would be appreciated. Also, mainly a puzzel for the naming comittee, is the trick shown in the vids and described above the normal version? It spins CCw, rather than CW (right handed), but since it is a variation of an RA, and the normals for Arrounds do spin CCW I think it should be the normal. Also it might be confusing if the rev went up the hand.

Questions? Comments? I'm an idiot?

----
Since there is nothing Twisted about it, Twisted Ringaround doesn't make sense. The pen goes around the Ring finger and ends in the 12 slot. It looks like the trick is then a Ringaround 23-12. Title changed.
sketching
xz64
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:00 AM

pencil spinner

Group: Members
Member No.: 115

Replace Arround with Around.
Leviathan
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:07 AM

Pen Spinning FREAK

Group: Researchers
Member No.: 68

You're an idiot.

jk, it looks cool. It would be better if we had a nice clear video so we could see how the pen moves without the other hand moving it. As for naming, generally, the first trick discovered is the normal, then the others are reverses, etc. I think twisted sounds alright, but it would need to be discussed by the naming committee.

I'm gonna try experimenting with these tricks, they're pretty cool.
Zombo
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:21 AM

Moderator of DOOM!

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 5

omg i cant twist my fingers like that without using my other hand!!!
Eburt
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:27 AM

Firstly, yes it should be "Around" but I am way to lazy to go through and edit it, so deal with it :P which is evidently why I am and idiot. And yes, the bending fingers is very difficult, but it can be achieved with a bit of practice, just don't overdo it.

I'm gonna work on that clearer vid, but honestly, I can't do the trick very well yet, so it might come in a few hours or a few days, whenever I can do it more reliably.
killsburydohboy
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 01:43 AM

Lost Addict

Member No.: 41

Looks like an ok trick, but I don't know if its very practical, if your fingers are like that won't it screw up your hand for the next trick in the combo?
rookee
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 02:24 AM

Member No.: 110

I wanna see that in a combo.
ChucKo
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 02:51 AM

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (rookee @ Aug 22 2006, 02:24 AM)
I wanna see that in a combo.

I second that
-Ko
Eburt
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 03:50 AM

Ok, heres a more clear vid of the trick:

http://media.putfile.com/Twisted-RA

And so you can download and view frame-by-frame:

http://rapidshare.de/files/30292907/Twisted_RA.wmv.html

I'm working on putting it in a combo, but its still hard for me to do and my fingers are aching as this can get rather painful... it's not that hard to link though, I've done it from passes and sonics a few times, but I'm sure others are possible.

Edit: Ok, I got a combo... its not the smoothest in the world, but thats mainly being poor at the trick, and I still think it looks cool...

http://media.putfile.com/TwistedRACombo

TA -> Rev Halftap -> Bak -> Pass 12-23 -> Twisted RA -> Neobak 12-34 (going over still twisted fingers, to show that you can do some interesting things like this) -> Sonic 34-23 -> Twisted Sonic 23-12 -> TA

This post has been edited by Eburt on Aug 22 2006, 06:38 AM
grsbmd
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:26 PM

Pen Abuser

Group: Naming Committee
Member No.: 283

I like it. This was the kind of motion that I was saying would be necessary for a warped devil's sonic or a warped devil's spin.
sicxer_
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 12:42 PM

Member No.: 66

Thats cool. But looks like it would require alot of practice to get it smooth, like a fingerpass. Anyway you can also do a twisted around rise, though the twisted pinkyaround would be extremely difficult. The pinky is just too short.
Skatox
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 06:00 PM

Happy looser !! ** Rey.AS Spinner

Member No.: 14

I consider this trick as a "6th fingerAround"...Only few people can do it, because of special abilities of their hand...yeah, of course, with training, maybe we could all do this, but still, I don't see the interest to put it in a combo, except if you want to make your combo look as twisted as the midfinger in the video...

Apart from that, amazing new trick :lol:
Eburt
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Skatox @ Aug 22 2006, 01:00 PM)
I consider this trick as a "6th fingerAround"...Only few people can do it, because of special abilities of their hand...yeah, of course, with training, maybe we could all do this, but still, I don't see the interest to put it in a combo, except if you want to make your combo look as twisted as the midfinger in the video...

Apart from that, amazing new trick  :lol:

I originally thought the same thing... that A. this would be very hard to do in general, and B. that it would be hard to link, but what I've done above was after learning the trick within the past 24 hours... maybe 1-2 hours of streching and practice total... its not near as hard as you seem to think, afterall, if you don't understand a charge, and your fingers aren't used to it, it looks fairly impossible...
Bajamba
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 07:56 PM

Group: New Members
Member No.: 463

Alright, so I've been gettin' a little better with this trick and here are two videos...
The first is a Twisted Around Rise, and the second is a Demon's Twisted RingAround.

http://media.putfile.com/Twisted-Around-Rise
http://media.putfile.com/Demons-Twisted-RingAround

Still not the smoothest... but I'm workin' on it.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Advanced tricks | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1574 seconds | Archive