InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Triterium Guild. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Retirement, likely for good
Shaiith
Posted: Dec 14 2009, 08:15 PM

Group: Toril
Member No.: 84

I've been searching for a game to play in my spare time. For a while I was giving Toril another shot, but then I stopped playing, and I don't really miss it. I miss the people, but not the game. I'm pretty sure this is it for good this time.

PM me or mmail me if you want contact information and don't already have it. You can also ask anyone in Trit as the info is posted internally and they have my permission to divulge my email or ICQ. I will be logging into Toril from time to time, but primarily to chat.
===========================

I've listed out the facets of Toril that make me think it's not right for me. Read as flaws in Toril or flaws in me as you wish. I've used WoW as the counterexample, not because I think it's a better game (some ways yes, other ways no, it's different), but because it's how I can best make the points.

Solo/Duo play is too important

If I want to play games where I can trade time for advancement on my own, Toril isn't my choice of games. Life, Angband, and some others come to mind. There's nothing wrong with solo-ing FK Trees, dragons, or small grouping musp invasion for fun and profit, I'd just rather play other games if I'm playing in a small group. I play toril to smite in a large group.

Coupled with the next item, even if I had the inclination, my ptime is a bit too casual to win the race to the boot pop.

Lack of Instancing/Rares being controlled by finding (time), not challenge (skill)

Instancing is nice as it allows players to achieve things in their own timeframe. Want fight X on toril that can be done fairly easily, better get there first. Want a similar result in other games, you can get their on your own time, but to prevent loot accumulation, there's either a time cap of some sort on how frequently you can go there based on how powerful the loot is (daily, weekly, etc).

Hunting Rimi is not exactly challenging, gathering the items and the final fight are the difficulties in the quest. It makes no sense that there's a one player per boot limit. Once per player per boot could be more interesting, bury him somewhere fixed and zone deep if alt questing is an issue, or just let him repop and be quested multiple times per boot. The difficulty should be tied to something like acquiring the quest items in the first place (skill based, not race to a spot based, which is ptime)

This is newbie and casual unfriendly, and I likely fall into the latter case these days.

Toril is too much a game of (private) knowledge, and not enough a game of player skill

This is directed at quests mostly. Game mechanics factor in somewhat, but there's enough correct common knowledge at this point on that topic. I'd rather play games where strategies and tactics are generally public knowledge and execution is the challenge.

Reactive Gaming/Lack of choices/Fight Strategies

Toril suffers from it's medium in this case. Positioning and monitorable health bars are big gameplay improvements that are hard to achieve over telnet. Also the tactics each class employs are fairly simplistic.

Imagine trip/bash with a cooldown long enough on use that sometimes usage had to be managed as the players had to 1) wait until a mob was casting a dangerous spell, 2) rotate who used the skill, and 3) apply them within a one or two second window without scripts to help (scripts can identify 1 [unless you're bleeding edge] and 2 [with some custom work], but the user has to keypress in that critical window)

Also, having to choose who to heal and seeing their health as it goes up/down. Being able to abort a needed, but not emergency cast for an emergency heal is a good feature of visual games. (removing group heal and bard song of healing and reducing area damage accordingly would make Toril a better game imo, likely need a group remove blind or adjust pris to have a save ala silence with a big modifier)

Skill usage rotations to maximize dps/healing/threat are pretty straightforward in Toril. Not many classes have that many interesting choices in the heat of the moment. Some spellup classes have interesting choices in how much proactive buffing they do versus offensive casting, do you prescale priests/mages or mix in some blacklights/pris to disrupt the enemies. Every dps class in WoW has a "rotation" of sorts and choices have to be made on the fly with respect to what to do when positioning comes into play.

Playerbase

I like to play at a high level, but the playerbase on toril makes it hard to even gather 15 at times. Lilithelle and other leaders do amazing work.

Note: I don't mind helping people improve, I did that for a year or so as a guild leader in WoW, this is more about the playerbase size than skill.

Projected Shev time, future game direction

In the 90 days or so that I was back, Shev's time was very high in occasional time frames, and very low in others. Asking around this had been the pattern for the past couple years. A lot of the same gameplay flaws that were in the game when I left were still there when I came back.

Tiamat took a long time to go in, 2.0 is taking a long time. I'm not optimistic that fixing the eventual gameplay bugs in 2.0 will be fixed quickly. I'm not sure that trading known gameplay bugs for new ones in 2.0 is worth it.

It's not a bad thing that Shev has moved on, it is that he hasn't admitted it and delegated things and managed his remaining time in such a way that the mud moves on. Maybe there's no one to delegate to, and that's a shame as Toril seems to have stagnated.
Dartan
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 11:49 AM

Member No.: 21

Yea, I feel the same way. Also, there's no new content that hits me as awesome.

I've been playing DDO (mostly been on vacation in Asia for the past 3 weeks). Tell me if you're interested in playing.
Nerox
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 06:22 PM

Who's Your Daddy

Group: Triterium Admin
Member No.: 1

I've tried most of the MMOs that are currently on the market, Aion is like WoW but perm. pvp which i despise. DDO just didn't keep my interest enough. CoH (boo hate comic type mmos) only one that peaks my interest still is the everquest line due to the fact that its similar to toril, but no time for a new game. The new content that was released for WoW is utterly disappointing too easy, nothing like the BC rush that you got when you finally get that new boss. In all seriousness, for my offtime from gaming, let me know if there is something out there that is good. Can only have so many 80's on wow before you just go blah boo and move on.
Dartan
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 10:54 AM

Member No.: 21

DDO gave me a similar to Toril aspect. Some of it is a grind b/c you have to get rares, but I enjoy that there are so many ways to customize a character that there is no cookie cutter spec for how to play each class. You can multiclass to your heart's desire etc.
Shaiith
Posted: Jan 7 2010, 06:24 PM

Member No.: 84

It's the people that make the difference long term. It's why I came back to Toril recently, the core of good people. They'd be just as good a crowd in any game.

Sadly, I don't see myself coming back, 2D or 3D world interaction is better than 1D telnet. It just is. At the end of the day, the fact that you can't (legally) script MMOs like you can script Toril tank rescue is a good thing too. As long as it doesn't become Clickville...

Right now, I'm spinning up in WoW again with some friends from before my personal issues got in the way of my ptime there.
Gyrx
Posted: Jan 12 2010, 11:09 AM

Member No.: 61

I had been wondering where you were at smile.gif Keep in touch, email is probably best!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.4429 seconds | Archive