InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to The Sports Summit. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Bluffton University crash kills six
BrownsFan9
Posted: Mar 2 2007, 10:06 AM

MVP

Group: Members
Member No.: 340

ATLANTA -- A charter bus carrying a college baseball team from Ohio plunged off an interstate ramp early Friday and slammed into the highway below, killing six people, injuring 29 and scattering sports equipment across the road, authorities said.

At least three people were listed in critical condition.

The bus, carrying the team from Bluffton University, a Mennonite-affiliated school south of Toledo, toppled off the Northside Drive bridge on Interstate 75 in clear, pre-dawn weather, police spokesman Joe Cobb said.

It crashed onto a pickup truck.

"When I saw the thing coming, I think I closed my eyes and stepped on the gas," said Danny Lloyd, who was driving the truck and escaped uninjured. "It looked to me like a big slab of concrete falling down."

The impact broke his windshield, pushed his truck into the concrete and wrecked the front bumper, said, Lloyd, 57, of Frostburg, Md.

Firefighters pulled people through the roof of the bus, which was on its side. Sports equipment was scattered along the interstate. Some of the luggage scattered on the road was labeled Bluffton University Baseball, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

At Bluffton University's campus, clergy organized a campus gathering to give students a venue to express their feelings about the crash, said Pastor Steve Yoder with the First Mennonite Church. Students and residents of the community wiped tears from their eyes as they came in, and the gym was quiet with people talking muffled voices.

Nineteen male students were being treated at Grady Memorial Hospital, said Dr. Leon Haley. Three were in critical condition, and all but two students were awake and talking, he said. Doctors were checking them for broken bones, he said.

"All things considered they are pretty calm," Haley said. "They are very aware of what's going on.

He said the driver was not taken to Grady. Three injured people were taken to Piedmont Hospital and seven to Atlanta Medical Center, Haley said.

Piedmont hospital spokeswoman Diana Lewis said the team's coach, James Grandey, 29, was in serious condition and expected to improve.

Officials at the three hospitals said 28 of the 29 people being treated were of college age. The age of one injured person, at Piedmont, could not immediately be determined, they said.
VTHokie
Posted: Mar 2 2007, 10:31 AM

STICK IT IN!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That's eerie because Eastern Mennonite (the school that was to be the opponent of this team) is about a mile from the campus of JMU where I used to attend. Definitely a sad story and my heart goes out to the families of those killed in this tragedy.
DawgPound47
Posted: Mar 2 2007, 10:40 AM

'06 TSS Rookie of Year

Member No.: 339

The fatality count is up to 8 as far as they know with "several others" suffering serious injuries & taken to hospital.

Very sad.
Sigma Pi
Posted: Mar 3 2007, 12:37 PM

Bench Warmer

Member No.: 625

What a tragedy. Young talented kids with a whole life ahead of them. Loses like that are very hard to take.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2595 seconds | Archive

Active User Color Legend
Administrators | Global Moderators | Moderators | Members

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com