The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Which legion?, Help me choose...
Anodyr
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 10:45 AM

Tech Priest Assassin

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 158

Hi all, I'm hoping you guys can help me make up my mind about which Legion to represent in my Expedition fleet as I'm having trouble reaching a decision.

Factors to consider:

1) There will be a beastman regiment in the same fleet, so the legion shouldnt have an issue with fighting alongside abhumans.

2) I'd like to do one of the would-be traitor legions rather than a loyalist legion (although if there is a particularly convincing arguement for fielding a particular loyalist legion then I'm open to being convinced).

3) It'd be nice to do one of the less-loved legions - i.e. one of the legions that you see less of on pre-heresy forums. This isnt an essential considration in choosing, just a "would be nice if...".

Those points aside, my current preferences are:

Word Bearers - I can see them indoctrinating beastmen into the Imperial Faith, plus they fulfill points 2 & 3. Some nice opportunities for zealous conversions. But grey may get a bit boring after a while (though this could be just as true for any legion colour scheme).

Sons of Horus - Again they fulfill points 2 and 3, although not so sure about point 1. Also I'm not keen on painting any terminators black.

Thousand Sons - I think they might be fairly likely to fight alongside beastmen, given that they arent too fussed about mutation, although Im not sure how keen I am on the red scheme...

So any thoughts/guidance you all care to share would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Anodyr
Iacton
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:04 AM

Captain

Group: Team Pre-Heresy
Member No.: 107

For the reasons that you mentioned I would suggest 1st the Alphas - I know they are stirring a bit of interest at the moment, but they aren't likely to get much coverage again soon. They are certainly a use anything to get the job done order.
2nd maybe the Death Guard, again because they just get on with the job and the home planet (Barbarus was it?) is supposed to be poison ridden and mutation causing if I remember rightly.
Weiss
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:06 AM

Iron Father

Member No.: 9

Hmm, in my opinion, go with the Thousand Sons or the Alpha Legion.
Anodyr
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:22 AM

Tech Priest Assassin

Thanks guys,

Alpha Legion - I'm just not sure about these guys - however I still have Legion to read so Im sure I'll have a better grasp of how these guys sit with me once Ive read that.

Death Guard - I do like the DG's, no doubt about it, and may well paint up a squad just for the sake of it. Perhaps a guest appearance in the Expedition force rather than a starring role simply because they are a popular PH choice and I'd still like to do something vaguely "new".

Thousand Sons - I've just read through the Index Astates article on these guys and I'm actually finding myself more drawn to them than I was initially. They've gone from "Meh..." to "quite tempting if I can get over my irrational red-paint-scheme-phobia...".

I think I'm torn between Thousand Sons and Word Bearers at the moment.
Weiss
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:31 AM

Iron Father

Member No.: 9

I would doubt the Word Bearers would bear (pardon the pun) working with abhumans unless they had already turned. They were the most fervent of the Emperor's worshippers and were far more akin to the SM chapters of 40k in terms of beliefs. That's my opinion anyway. (Funny how everyone turned to the original traitor's faith after the Heresy...)
Iacton
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:33 AM

Captain

Word Bearers just wouldn't have mutants - if they are actually Pre-Heresy wink.gif But then we don't know enough on their timeline yet (unless it's in the IA) to say where and when they started to turn.
TS sounds cool though - just stock up on red paints and magenta ink is useful too wink.gif
ShroudFilm
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:34 AM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I like the idea of WB actually... seeing lots of fervent pro-human abhumans being led by the most self-interested bastards the universe has ever seen, under the pretence of a Crusade expedition... that sounds cool to me! biggrin.gif
Anodyr
  Posted: Apr 14 2008, 11:53 AM

Tech Priest Assassin

I can see the arguments for and against WBs - my theory of including the beastmen was based on the old fluff which had them as fighting because they'd pretty much been convinced by the Imps that their condition was a punishment from the God-Emperor, hence the connection to the Word Bearers. Throw in plenty of Imperial Army Priests and you have a force that has a nice religious crusade theme running through it.

As for the TS's, Im still finding myself drawn towards them. A quick google threw up a blog from Warseer that showed a single TS plus a couple of the CCG cards with TS artwork, and they looked pretty good - I even liked the red which had a more orange rather than magenta tone to it. I think they'd also be well suited to using the CSM plastics too rather than standard SM's which would make for a nice change after painting my Rainbow Warriors.

I think the decisions pretty much made chaps... dry.gif

Thanks all for your input and helping me turn this over in my head. Any thoughts on TS's in particular that I should bear in mind? Im thinking that I dont want to go OTT with the Egyptian touches, just clean and subtle (gonna need some Tomb Kings bits I think...), plus squad sergeants will need some thought given that they are generally all psykers - perhaps make them stand out with a semi-stafflike CCW?
Iacton
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 12:07 PM

Captain

Rainbows you say?
Please post - in the vox-net of course wink.gif
Keep thinking of doing one for my collection, they were one of the 1st painting attempts that i made on the release of RT, back, back, back....
Anodyr
Posted: Apr 14 2008, 12:50 PM

Tech Priest Assassin

QUOTE (Iacton @ Apr 14 2008, 12:07 PM)
Rainbows you say?
Please post - in the vox-net of course wink.gif
Keep thinking of doing one for my collection, they were one of the 1st painting attempts that i made on the release of RT, back, back, back....

As you asked so nicely - done! smile.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0265 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring