The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Armour guide, uncommon names for armour pieces
Gagoc TheAncient
Posted: Apr 10 2008, 11:39 PM

Acclaimed Wordsmith

Group: Remembrancers
Member No.: 13

I've noticed, especially in the Horus Heresy books, that the old medieval names for armour pieces are being applied to Astartes armour.
For example, in Fulgrim (P143) the Phoenician is described as wearing a shishak helmet with a lamellar aventail ( huh.gif ).
This is actually a type of helmet worn by medieval Saracens that was onion dome shaped, had a visor with two eye-holes, a mail of squarish plates (lamellar) that hung from the helmet like a protective cowl (aventail).

So I decided to knock up some pics of SM armour with the parts labelled with the names for the bits. There is a chance of some errors in the labelling as I had to go off What descriptions and names I could find.

user posted image

user posted image

As you can see, some pieces have more than one name, so I underlined the name whose description seemed to best fit that particular piece of armour.
recceboy
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 12:43 AM

Battle-Brother

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 174

Thanks for that as it can be confusing sometimes
Weiss
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 07:08 AM

Iron Father

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 9

Nice work man! Great for reference.
Fulgrim
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 11:08 AM

Morlock Captain

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 57

Very nice, nice work Gagoc!
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0280 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring