The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A few Ultramarines, so I read this book...
Dullmohawk
Posted: Jun 19 2012, 07:18 AM

Scout

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 841

Hey,
first time poster in here, though I've been a member for years. I read a lot of the black library stuff, and though I've not read all the Heresy novels (I've steered clear of a few titles since reading "Battle for the Abyss"), I still follow the universe closely. To me, these books are a bit like narcotics, and I've stopped counting the number of projects I've started based on BL books, evolving the stories and depicting them in miniatures.
Like many others, I've just finished "Know No Fear" and immediately picked up some leftover from the bitsbox and set to work. This time though, I'm not doing an army - just a few marines to make the itch go away.

Here are some WiPs:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I don't think I have to tell you who inspired me on the heraldry. I've been reading and re-reading that log for years now...

Anyways, I hope to finish them sometime today or tomorrow and get some pictures up of the final result.
setanta41
Posted: Jun 19 2012, 01:52 PM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 1,524

They look good! Nice colors. CH legs? Proof they fit in when mixed with other parts. Looking forward to a finished shot.
bklynpnk
Posted: Jun 20 2012, 02:25 AM

Scout

Member No.: 1,438

always had a soft spot for Ultras. Your blue is nice on them. And I love the yellow! Gold for trim just doesn't pop like a good yellow for ultras. It would be cool to see you do a full list of these. Hopefully the itch won't leave you too soon, lol
Pacific
Posted: Jun 20 2012, 07:54 AM

Captain

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 260

They look really, really good! Nothing like enough Ultramarines out there in my opinion!

And, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in wanting to see some kind of mini-tutorial or parts list for how you have made these guys? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pacific on Jun 20 2012, 07:54 AM
Dullmohawk
Posted: Jun 20 2012, 02:32 PM

Scout

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!
The marines are mainly made from CH bits I got in a trade some time ago, and didn't know what to do with. First off I wasn't really that into the True Scale thing, but after reading some logs here and there, and then finally going overboard and having a go myself I must say that it's growing on me!
I'm almost done painting these guys now, I just need to do a few touch-ups on the bases and the metals plus the inevitable battledamage to the armour.
It's also my first time using the new citadel paints, and even though I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they screwed up my paint-terminology, the new paints and washes I've tried so far works pretty well. I use a wet-pallet for colour-mixing, and the two blues are much more smooth than my old regal and ultramarines blue...then again, both of those pots are 5+ years old...

Even though this started out as a one-off, I've decided to congratulate myself on my finished exams this friday by ordering a contemptor dread and some etched brass to go with these guys. If nothing else, I've wanted a contemptor since the model came out!
Dullmohawk
Posted: Jun 21 2012, 04:54 PM

Scout

You have a stand until you take a new one....The True Scale Train is rolling *sigh*

user posted image

user posted image

I convinced a very talented friend of mine to help me get two plastic card Rhinos off the ground, and he's done a superb job so far. In the end they'll hopefully look like the FW MkI's, and once they get plastered with etched brass symbols I think they'll do the trick.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new edition of 40k. So far I'm very stoked about the prospect of including allies, as I can then boost my Marines with some Imperial Army units or vice versa. But that's still waaaay out in the grim dark future of the this millennium.
Pacific
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 10:17 AM

Captain

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 260

That TS rhino looks very promising! Have you thought about how you are going to do the tracks and side for it yet?

I know what you mean about the new allies rule, definitely think it has a lot of possibilities for Pre-Heresy. Although, you could say that the IA books (Vraks and the Badab War books) have allowed you to do that for some years now.
Dullmohawk
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 03:55 PM

Scout

I think there's a plan for the sides and the tracks... first off though, there's the deal with the front.

I've considered the IA9 rules, but I just don't think it would be very characterful for the sons of Guilliman to use the Army auxiliaries as living shields... The Word Bearers on the other hand...
Dullmohawk
Posted: Jul 2 2012, 04:22 PM

Scout

A bit more work has been put into the rhinos, and I thought I'd post them before I'm off to enjoy my summer holidays in southern europe.

user posted image

user posted image

A lot more texture has been added to the model, and you can actually see what's front and back of it now.
Lunasteve
Posted: Jul 4 2012, 05:26 PM

Warmaster's Equerry

Group: Champions
Member No.: 885

looking good mate, very apologist looking ultras which isnt a bad thing! good luck on the rhinos, looking promising so far!

steve
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0836 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring