The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Pettsy's Imperial Fists, Siege of Terra themed Imperial Fists
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 05:24 PM

Scout

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 1,472

Hey,

Gonna use this thread to chronicle the construction of my Imperial Fists army. At the moment I'm building this army for an upcoming doubles tournament with my friend Richard, who will be using his new Ultramarines army.

user posted image
Sergeant with powerfist

user posted image
Shoulderguard, lascannon carrier

user posted image
Battle-Brothers

user posted image
Combat Squad

More coming soon,
~Pettsy~
BigWill
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 05:51 PM

The Sigillite

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 17

Looking great so far
Wolf Lord Mjolnir
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 07:23 PM

Oak of Fenris

Member No.: 129

Love that yellow. Nearly makes me want to do fists myself.

Well done.
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 11:17 PM

Scout

Thanks guys.

Done a little bit more work on the first 5 marines today.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Sergeant now with powerfist and bolter.

user posted image
user posted image
Lascannon bearer. Now with supporting arm and shoulderplate.

user posted image
Battle-Brothers. Now boltgun'd and washed.

user posted image
Discovered today that the backpacks need a slight touch up with the spraycan, however the weather tomorrow is meant to be quite poor. I could just touch them up with some Iyanden Yellow to finish them quicker but that might leave the backpacks with darker top halves. Not sure if I want to risk the finish just to get them done quicker.

By tomorrow I'm hoping to have everything (minus backpacks) finished on these 5 marines.
~Pettsy~
ShroudFilm
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 10:09 AM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Very nice! What's your recipe for the yellow?
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 09:26 PM

Scout

To be fair I'm cheating. This way doesn't take 10 layers of yellow paint built up from browns. Infact it only takes 3 steps.

1. Spray model with Army Painter Daemonic Yellow.
2. Lightly wash whole model Ogryn Flesh (removing any pooling of OF).
3. Apply a thin layer of Golden Yellow to armour plates.

Simple, quick and looks alright I think.
~Pettsy~
The Anathame
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 09:52 PM

Raw Recruit

Member No.: 1,475

Looks more than alright! Very vivid yellow and the shading is great.
More please! biggrin.gif
ShroudFilm
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 10:22 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It looks fantastic! I'm still trying out Army Painter but it looks like people are getting some great results with the brighter colours.
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 06:14 PM

Scout

@Anathame Thanks. More coming up over the next few days, weeks and months. Loving this project so I highly doubt I'll move onto something else, unlike 99% of my other armies biggrin.gif Can't wait to see more of your own project.

@Shroud A friend of mine is painting a Dark Eldar army using Alien Purple as the basecoat and the results are absolutely gorgeous. I'd recommend these sprays to anyone.

Got my first Legionnaire finished. I present to you . . .

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Sergeant next.
~Pettsy~
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 16 2011, 02:47 PM

Scout

As promised Sergeant is done.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

Hoping to finish the other 3 marines either today or tomorrow. Until then,
~Pettsy~
Jim
Posted: Dec 16 2011, 08:47 PM

World Eaters Berserker

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 81

Really nice job so far - I think your receipe for yellow is probably the simplest and most effective I've seen.

One thing though is I'm not sure having the studs the same colour looks quite right?... Maybe picking them out in metal/white/some other colour would look better - just one small piece of feedback...

Jim
Pettsy
Posted: Dec 30 2011, 01:01 AM

Scout

One thing though is I'm not sure having the studs the same colour looks quite right?... Maybe picking them out in metal/white/some other colour would look better - just one small piece of feedback...

At first I was a little bit unsure about painting the studs, as I didn't want to mess up the yellow. However, the more I look at the models the more the yellow studs don't look right. I will try painting some studs tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Finished the first 5 marines (minus studs).

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
I've had these finished for about a week and haven't got around to posting them.

user posted image
user posted image
I've sort of messed up with these guys already. I accidentally forgot to attach the brass Fist icons to the shoulderplates before spraying them. This could make them harder to paint, we'll see.

Until next time,
~Pettsy~
the damned artificer
Posted: Dec 30 2011, 10:39 AM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 1,481

I actually really like when the studs match the rest of the armour, don't know why but I always figured they'd be painted over like the rest of the armour. Technically they're just big rivets helping to keep the ceramite plates in place, and the rivets on vehicles are usually painted.

But maybe that's just me tongue.gif I love the yellow you've done btw biggrin.gif
Pettsy
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 03:02 PM

Scout

Me again, with a small update. First Tactical Squad is fully completed, even the bases are painted.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Newest members

user posted image
Squad ready for deployment

user posted image
user posted image
Start of next Tactical Squad

Currently working on the next Tactical Squad and a Contemptor. Hoping it won't take me as long to get the next squad finished.

~Pettsy~
darius99
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 03:58 PM

Scout

Member No.: 1,495

Cant wait to see them
Pacific
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 04:55 PM

Captain

Member No.: 260

First of all, great avatar, but I do wonder how you managed to get the leaked pic of one of the missing Primarchs? blink.gif

They look great though, certainly a great prospect these days to do an IF force without having to be a sado-masochist. Did you try the dips at all?

Also, where abouts did you get the brass Fist icons from?
Pettsy
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 06:10 PM

Scout

Cheers Pacific, the Army Painter spray has made this army possible. I wouldn't have been able to do them any other way.

Each layer is painted/washed on, which dips are you refering to? Always looking to try new techniques.

The Fists symbols are from the Forgeworld Etched Brass frame. Those are a big hand as I don't have the ability to paint the Fist freehanded. The only problem with them is they are rather difficult to fit on the shoulderplates properly.

All hail Primarch Pinkie! cool.gif

~Pettsy~
BigWill
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 09:48 PM

The Sigillite

Member No.: 17

Heat the brass etch over a flame on soften them.
They will fit better.
Pacific
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 01:04 AM

Captain

Member No.: 260

QUOTE (Pettsy @ Feb 11 2012, 06:10 PM)
Cheers Pacific, the Army Painter spray has made this army possible. I wouldn't have been able to do them any other way.

Each layer is painted/washed on, which dips are you refering to? Always looking to try new techniques.

There are a couple of dips that Army Painter do, one 'soft' and one 'hard'. Not sure how it will look on a marine (the surfaces might be a bit too flat), but I've seen some zombies and dwarves painted in just foundation paints, then dipped, and it looks OK for tabletop standard. Essentially, it means that you can paint hordes of infantry in much less time.

For the icon, have you thought about downloading the legion markings from Bell of Lost Souls, and printing them onto transfer paper? It's fairly cheap and painless.
Morden279
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 08:26 AM

Scout

Member No.: 1,476

I really like the copper coils on the lascannon barrel (adds an extra colour into the mix).

Have you considered doing a bit more with the eyes? They look a bit flat at the moment; even just a wash of Gryphonne Sepia would shade the recesses at the edges and add depth. They'd look even better if this was done after a lighter red highlight was applied - judging from the IF shoulder badge you have the freehand skill to attempt this. Pinkie Promise you'll do so?
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1109 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring