The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

WE Librarians/Scyrak the Slaughterer, Where is this from?
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 09:13 AM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Can anyone point me in the direction of the original lore relating to Scyrak the Slaughterer killing the last World Eaters Librarian?
Tatters
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 09:29 AM

Sergeant

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 855

The only scyrak info i ever heard was when he was initially created on the back of citidel journal, not sure which one however. He was the broken nose guy because he got knocked off a shelf and faceplanted a desk. Beyond that i didnt think there was much to him.

Chris
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 09:35 AM

The Second Heretic

Aha - Citadel Journal #20! Good recall!

Does anyone have a copy of that?
Tatters
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 09:45 AM

Sergeant

Member No.: 855

Not any more, weapons wise he had 2 double bladed axes, one regular one chain, and was a rather angry fellow, beyond that I'm stumped, lol.

Chris
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 11:15 AM

The Second Heretic

I've sourced a copy - many thanks!
Pacific
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 12:28 PM

Captain

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 260

Care to say what you need it for Shroud, or would you have to kill us afterwards? smile.gif
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 12:44 PM

The Second Heretic

I'm just satisfying my own curiosity - a query came up based on something I noticed in 'Tales of Heresy'. Not to worry! biggrin.gif
Ancient Rylanor
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 07:44 PM

Scout

Member No.: 1,017

When did the World Eaters kill their last Liberian? If it happened during the heresy then did the WE also ignore the Edict of Nikaea?
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 09:32 PM

The Second Heretic

My query exactly...
cobra6
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 11:33 PM

Gladiator Captain

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 1,041

I've got this somewhere (that's how I knew how to spell "Scyrak" in the short fiction I wrote about this very event.) Give me a few hours. In the interim, a few specific things I can remember:

Scyrak, a World Eaters "hero", killed the WE's chief librarian, which marked the tipping point in the Legion's mass adherence to Khorne worship.

The other Librarians were "murdered" by their battle brothers; this specific statement also mentioned Khorne worship in some respect if I remember correctly.

I would presume that this occurred sometime shortly after Istvaan III, but that's conjecture on my part. I base this on the fact that the World Eaters were not "Khorne Berzerkers" yet when they fought each other there. It certainly happened before they got to Terra.

EDIT: I found this on pg. 31 of Codex-CSM: "During the Heresy, Librarians in the other Legions dedicated themselves to Chaos and recieved new psychic powers. The only exception were the Librarians of the World Eaters, who were hunted down and slain by their brethren as a bloody sacrafice to Khorne, for the Chaos God of anger hates all practitioners of sorcery." More to follow when I find the refence to Scyrak.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 11:52 PM

The Second Heretic

If you could get me a photo of the guy, and the 'facts' from the text then I shall love you forever, even with your scary-ass avatar picture... biggrin.gif
cobra6
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 01:11 AM

Gladiator Captain

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 1,041

Yeah, the source document is Citadel Journal 20, 1997, pg. 91-96. I don't have the original document, just a secondary citation, so no pictures unfortunately. (I'd love to see the pic myself!)

The relevant quote seems to be: "As part of a bloody sacrifice to their new master, the Librarians of the World Eaters were hunted down and killed by their brother Marines, as Khorne despised all practitioners of the sorcerous arts. The killing came to a head when World Eater hero Scyrak the Slaughterer slew the Legion's Chief Librarian, thus removing the last obstacle to the Legion's bloody fall."

Add to that the canon quote from Codex CSM pg 31: "During the Heresy, Librarians in the other Legions dedicated themselves to Chaos and recieved new psychic powers. The only exception were the Librarians of the World Eaters, who were hunted down and slain by their brethren as a bloody sacrafice to Khorne, for the Chaos God of anger hates all practitioners of sorcery" ..and there you have it.

I hope this answers the mail on what you were looking for, Shroud! (Puts me in the mood to go re-read "The Last Librarian." wink.gif )
Ancient Rylanor
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 12:09 AM

Scout

Member No.: 1,017

QUOTE (cobra6 @ Oct 16 2011, 01:11 AM)
Yeah, the source document is Citadel Journal 20, 1997, pg. 91-96.  I don't have the original document, just a secondary citation, so no pictures unfortunately. (I'd love to see the pic myself!)

The relevant quote seems to be: "As part of a bloody sacrifice to their new master, the Librarians of the World Eaters were hunted down and killed by their brother Marines, as Khorne despised all practitioners of the sorcerous arts. The killing came to a head when World Eater hero Scyrak the Slaughterer slew the Legion's Chief Librarian, thus removing the last obstacle to the Legion's bloody fall."

Add to that the canon quote from Codex CSM pg 31: "During the Heresy, Librarians in the other Legions dedicated themselves to Chaos and recieved new psychic powers. The only exception were the Librarians of the World Eaters, who were hunted down and slain by their brethren as a bloody sacrafice to Khorne, for the Chaos God of anger hates all practitioners of sorcery" ..and there you have it.

I hope this answers the mail on what you were looking for, Shroud! (Puts me in the mood to go re-read "The Last Librarian."  wink.gif  )

i wonder what other Legions had Librarians. My guess is Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, Emperors Children, Night Lords, Word Bearers. The Thousand Sons clearly did. I am not sure about he Son's of Horus. Mortarion hated psykers so that must rule out the Death Guard. Most of these i think may have done something to suppress the powers as per the Edict of Nikaea. Maybe they undid their work after the start of the Heresy.

Now i think this makes it more likely that Varren, may have been one of the World Eaters Psykers.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 10:51 AM

The Second Heretic

Varren isn't a psyker - that is stated in 'Legion of One'.

I can however tell you the following, which is all taken from currently-available HH products and 40k background:

=====
Dark Angels
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea. It seems that the Lion discontinued the use of Librarians, but that Luther did not.

Emperor’s Children
Unknown.

Iron Warriors
Unknown.

White Scars
Known to operate a formal Libarius before Nikaea, and helped to train the other Legions.

Space Wolves
Did not operate a formal Librarius, and were vocally against ‘sorcery’. Made cultural use of psykers, as Rune Priests – the embodiment of hypocrisy!

Imperial Fists
Unknown.

Night Lords
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea.

Blood Angels
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea, and helped to train the other Legions.

Iron Hands
Unknown.

World Eaters
Known to have once operated a formal Librarius. At some point during the Heresy, the Legion turned upon its own Librarians and wiped them out.

Ultramarines
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea. Librarians were assimilated back into the line infantry and forbidden from using their powers.

Death Guard
No Librarians, and psykers and sorcery were not tolerated within the Legion
Notably, they had difficulty fighting the magi of Kajor, who summoned daemons in battle.

Thousand Sons
Known to operate a formal Libarius before Nikaea, and helped to train the other Legions. Almost every legionary practiced some form of psi-ability or attunement, even outside the Librarius. Disregarded the Edict of Nikaea, and continued to use their powers openly.

Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus
Unknown.

Word Bearers
Unclear.

Salamanders
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea.

Raven Guard
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea. Librarians were assimilated back into the line infantry and forbidden from using their powers.

Alpha Legion
Known to operate a formal Librarius before Nikaea, and continued in secret afterwards.
=====
Noserenda
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 04:36 PM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 775

Did the Alpha Legion actually operate a Librarius? I always assumed they used Sanctionites (Operatives?) to insulate themselves a bit. They certainly seemed to in Legion.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 04:42 PM

The Second Heretic

I don't post dubious facts. The word 'Librarian' has been used with regard to the Alpha Legion, in the HH novel series... biggrin.gif

I was actually very surprised to see that the Night Lords had a Librarius, but one of the vocal opponents at Nikaea was a Night Lord.
Noserenda
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 04:47 PM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 775

Coolio, I dont suppose you have the reference? Ive been holding off on doing an Alpha Librarian because I wasnt sure! (Any excuse to use a certain model...)
lord_caldera
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 05:58 PM

Brother-Chaplain

Group: Champions
Member No.: 422

I'm pretty sure the Word Bearers were confirmed to have a librarius in "Battle for the Abyss". It definitely mentions that the Chapter of the Void was tasked with exploring psychic resources.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 06:07 PM

The Second Heretic

NR - I'll find a salient reference tomorrow for you. smile.gif

LC - you are a legend. I will check that tomorrow.
Gagoc TheAncient
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 06:31 PM

Acclaimed Wordsmith

Group: Remembrancers
Member No.: 13

Shroud. Check page 312 of Battle For The Abyss for details on Word Bearer Librarians.
I just checked my notes and that's what I can come up with at the moment.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1081 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring