The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Fledgling Swooping Hawks
Whitehorn
Posted: Feb 27 2011, 08:07 PM

Webseer

Group: Team Pre-Heresy
Member No.: 36

I've sorted out my Eldar and am trying to put down a solid army list before comitting the excess to ebay.

It's not the strongest army to field, but I love the idea of maximising on certain units, particularly the swooping hawk aspect.

The Hawk is a symbol of vengeance and retribution in the Eldar mythos and the Swooping Hawks deliver that with gusto.

Baharroth (optional)
Autoch : power weapon : fusion gun : hawk wings : mandiblaster (required)
3 x 10 swooping hawks with exarch : full upgrades, sun rifles
2/3 War Walkers, ML
Wraithlord (optional, would be modelled with static wings, perhaps a fallen Exarch of the hawks)
1 squad of Fire dragons in Serpent
2 squads of storm guardians in Serpents
1+ Wasp walkers, pimped out with static wings

The whole army would be styled like Swooping hawks, with the guardians being a sort of Shrine defence force. I'd probably paint the fire dragons as guardians, rather than diluting the single aspect theme.

What I'd also like to achieve is a more 'vengeance' styled composition of hawks - models flying in imposing ways, a little like this:

user posted image
Azkaellon
Posted: Feb 27 2011, 09:02 PM

The Sanguinor

Group: Champions
Member No.: 926

Sounds good, is that flight of the valkyries i hear?

In Eldar Prophecy by C S Goto, the craftworld in the book has many Houses that each have their own Guardian armies and they also have strong ties to a particular Aspect temple. Therefore a temple would be as strong as the family house, politics and inter house rivalry effected the rise and fall in the number of aspect warriors.

In that way you could tie the force together.
Whitehorn
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 09:32 AM

Webseer

I had a good read through my 2ED Eldar Codex for some more ideas.

Regarding colours, they take on varying aspects of the sky. This is implied as blue through dark grey, but that makes a massive assumption that planets are all blue skies. I wonder if I can justify alien skies?

user posted image

I have 30 hawks, 3 serpents, 3 walkers, the dragons and some normal guardians, so I'm going to have a crack at using Dark Eldar arms on the regular guardians to make the 'family house' guardians, with a hawk flavour. The only model I'm really lacking is an Autarch, so I'm going to have a crack building the above.

Mabrothrax
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 10:15 AM

Plague Elemental

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (Whitehorn @ Feb 28 2011, 09:32 AM)
I had a good read through my 2ED Eldar Codex for some more ideas.

Regarding colours, they take on varying aspects of the sky. This is implied as blue through dark grey, but that makes a massive assumption that planets are all blue skies. I wonder if I can justify alien skies?

user posted image

I have 30 hawks, 3 serpents, 3 walkers, the dragons and some normal guardians, so I'm going to have a crack at using Dark Eldar arms on the regular guardians to make the 'family house' guardians, with a hawk flavour. The only model I'm really lacking is an Autarch, so I'm going to have a crack building the above.

If you paint it with skill and conviction, you can justify any palette of colours.

Red sky at night - Baharroth's Delight?

If your blending is up to it, you could have so many hues of red, pink, purple, orange and grey simulating a sunrise/sunset.

As for an Alien planet, well, there's all the justification you need.
Whitehorn
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 10:27 AM

Webseer

Is it enough justification?

The real question is:

Does swooping hawk armour automatically take on the colours of the sky, or is it pre-painted?

I guess they could have multiple suits as humans do camouflage per terrain.

user posted image

Magos Explorator
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 11:38 AM

Mechanicum Envoy

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 33

I'd imagine the Eldar are advanced enough for a 'chameleon' effect; i.e. it can adjust to the sky in question.
Whitehorn
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 11:45 AM

Webseer

It amuses me that they try to mimic the sky colour, but then have contrastic, glittering wings to look pretty.
Azkaellon
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 07:08 PM

The Sanguinor

Member No.: 926

in the BL novels some of the Aspects warrior armour is described as polymorphic and changes size to fit the new wearer, i wonder if the chameleon effect would be tied in to that?
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0981 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring