The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

FEBRUARY 2010 - The Praetors of Calth, Apologist's Ultramarines rise to the top
Vredesbyrd
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 11:34 PM

Number Six

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 24

Hi guys, Vredesbyrd here.

This month in the Display Case we present the Praetors of Calth, Apologist's fantastic Ultramarines army. Many of us have watched this army grow from the first tantalising pictures that appeared here on The Great Crusade, and I'm sure I'm not the only one a little awestruck by this army.

Without further ado I shall hand you over to the man himself, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Apologist.

+++++
'A time of hidden conflict and secret warfare; when battle-lines were drawn and re-drawn between brother and brother. This is a record of those times, set forth by autolocutor Apologist.

The ancient and crumbling Apocrypha of Davio, a relic of the Second Founding, lists eight successor Chapters to the Thirteenth Legion.

The later Apocrypha of Skaros states there were twenty-three successors to the Ultramarines, but does not list them all...

Herein lies the tale of the brethren of the Praetors of Calth...'

So began my painting log all the way back in May 2006, and work on what's my favourite army still continues apace. As of this point, I'm planning on adding a couple of new squads, and there're a couple of oddments here and there that I'd like to put my own spin on. With 3500pts in the bag, I'm going back and tweaking the bits I'm not happy with, and occasionally adding new bits.

First off, I'd like to answer a question I get a lot: why Ultramarines, of all things?

There's definitely something about the Ultramarines that inspires a lot of heated feelings amongst players some love 'em, some hate them. At the very least, they've heard of them, and almost everyone's got an opinion on the boys in blue. They're the Chapter that's had the most information given on them in 40k, and that's offers a great opportunity to really stick closely to the canon or in my case, riff off it. I really enjoy the background of the game it's a rich and developed universe that nevertheless offers endless creative avenues.

The Ultramarines seem to have gained a reputation for being hidebound, dogmatic and traditional; and that's not how I see them at all. They're not a closed-off, parochial Chapter in the 41st Millennium they're a dynamic, self-assured and faithful force that represents everything a Space Marine should be. That's what I wanted to represent in my Pre-Heresy army: a Legion that's mindful of the means as well as the results; above but not beyond the mass of humanity.

My initial inspiration came from the Horus Heresy artbooks. The Heresy's had a hold on my imagination since the old Adeptus Titanicus game, and I flicked through the books with a big grin on my face at all the cool oddments and weird variants. Techmarine Arius was a fun exercise in copying an artwork see if you can find him!

user posted image

I'd had a bit of experience at sculpting when I made my Adeptus Mechanicus force, and so I was ready to tackle something more challenging. What better challenge than building a small force of 'true-scale' marines, using a variation of Doghouse and Synapse's approaches? I added my own spin on the technique, by adding the huge rims that characterise my army, and with the variant helms that I dubbed 'Macragge-pattern', but kudos ought to go to those (very nice) fellas who pioneered the technique, rather than the butter-fingered followers like me!

A scale shot:

user posted image

From left: Dreadnought, Primarch, Astartes, unenhanced human

I was keen to record how I made the army. I think that a generous approach to the hobby is something to be encouraged, so I tried to record how and why I'd built certain things, and made a note when I ran into problems and difficulties. Having a record of the techniques, paint mixtures and so forth was a real resource for me, and I got so much useful critique and feedback that the army is really a bit of a community project! I hope that my log provided some help and inspiration for other people, much as I've been inspired and helped by other people's logs and pictures. As the army grew beyond its initial plan of a tiny elite force, my enthusiasm was buoyed up by the announcement that the Tempus Fugitives were running a series of pre-Heresy campaign weekends, and this really kick-started me into growing the force.

Of course, it'd all be a bit dry if it were just descriptions of what I did, so I had a great time making up background for each of the models, fitting them into named units, like heroes of old.

Squad I Locrians:

user posted image
user posted image

Squad II Apaesians:

user posted image
user posted image

Squad III Ciconians:

user posted image
user posted image

Plundering freely from Classical and historical documents, as well as obscure 40k texts, I really enjoyed bashing Greek, Scottish, Roman and a myriad other sources together to create something I hope is unique. Those toy soldiers really take on a character as you build and paint them, and I loved the idea of an army of heroes. Some of my favourite models really came together at the painting stage: Sergeant Santiagon, for example, was a fun chance to really stretch my freehand skills, and his receding hairline and bald spot give him a lot of character. He's probably the best example of a traditional Ultramarine: courageous, honourable and so forth.

user posted image

Kaeso and Telacos, on the other hand, really pick up how scary Astartes should be, and I think they've got some great dynamism to their poses.

user posted image

It's no coincidence that my favourite models are the bare-headed ones. Skin is my favourite part of painting, as it gives such opportunity to create character. I don't pretend to be anything than a journeyman painter, but I think that solid techniques combined with imagination can lift anyone's work just find something that inspires you, and enjoy the process!

I was very flattered and honoured to be asked to appear in the Hall of Honour, so I'll hand over to the mods to show the rest of the pictures hopefully they've got their own favourite miniatures amongst my army.

The Praetors of Calth

user posted image

The Primarch, Robute Guilliman

user posted image

Standard Bearer, with the Standard of Calth.

user posted image

Close up of the banner.

user posted image

Captain Orar and the Zelians.

user posted image

Hypon, Dreadnought.

user posted image

In closing, I'd like to reiterate that I hope my work provides some inspiration for other hobbyists, and would just like to take this opportunity to thank my friends in the PCRC, who provided endless ideas, support and cups of tea during the army-making process; to Elusive71, Synapse, Doghouse and others for direct inspiration; and to thank everyone at the Great Crusade, other forums and the Tempus Fugitives, who've made building and playing with my toy soldiers a lot of fun!
Iron Corsair
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 01:46 AM

Veteran Sergeant

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 438

Congratulations, Apologist on this well deserved award! Hope the best for you and your Boys in Blue!
fritzagelmann
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 02:06 AM

Sergeant

Member No.: 848

Grats! Amazing Army
Magos Explorator
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 08:10 AM

Mechanicum Envoy

Member No.: 33

Still a awesome and inspirational force. Great work.
Dargor
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 09:36 AM

Lord of the Angelic Host

Member No.: 261

A fitting addition to the display case.Congratulations Apologist ,an honour well deserved! smile.gif
Sotirios
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 03:40 PM

Scout

Member No.: 118

Truly inspiring! Keep up the good work!
Wolf Lord Mjolnir
Posted: Mar 7 2010, 09:26 PM

Oak of Fenris

Member No.: 129

Absolutely beautiful army - my fave has to be Hypon.
Feytor
Posted: Mar 7 2010, 09:28 PM

Veteran Sergeant

Member No.: 672

So manly!
Angels_Blade
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 10:05 AM

Real-life Lazarus

Group: Champions
Member No.: 59

This truely is everything a space marine should be. I'm so fired up to carry on with my own Dark Angels now. I owe you a pint sir!

Ab

(Angels_Blade PLC and its subsiduaries are not responsible financially, ethicly or moraly for any suggestions of the provision of alcohol for consumption)
Lunasteve
Posted: Mar 14 2010, 04:37 PM

Warmaster's Equerry

Member No.: 885

these are awesome!! they look so much more realistic, stunning work.

steve
Calgar 2.0
Posted: Mar 18 2010, 12:10 AM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 787

Apologist, congratulations! You deserve to have this captivating army in the Display Case. You've really inspired me to strive for modelling excellence, so on that note, you've done a job well done.
Apologist
Posted: Mar 18 2010, 02:18 PM

Archmagos Veneratus

Member No.: 137

Thanks very much for all the kind words I'm looking forward to expanding the army and seeing you guys at future events! smile.gif

It was a real pleasure to be asked to contribute to the display case. smile.gif
Maratheus
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 08:19 AM

Captain

Member No.: 56

Stuff of legends mate. smile.gif
I really enjoy how cohesive they all look despite personalisation to the last bit of detail. You have also managed to give 'Space Marine' it's true meaning. Massive, menacing and awe-striking. Fantastic work.
Thousand Son
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:46 PM

Scout

Member No.: 900

The painting style is very interesting to look at. It's not classically neat and perfect like all the GW showcase stuff. It's more interesting because of this. A bit more arty. More personal. 10/10 mate.
IngoPech
Posted: Apr 21 2010, 08:24 PM

Scout

Member No.: 567

I've watched this project grow from its early phases with slack jawed awe!! blink.gif

Apologist has really captured the look and feel of Crusade era Astartes in a way quite unlike any other project I have seen (not to say the others weren't great too, there's no shortage of inspiration here!!). From their imposing statures and dynamic posing to the small human touches about each marine that make them truly believable as individual model characters. I really feel that this army is the definitive visual representation of the XIII legion and of the Astartes as a whole.

And the primarch is just awesome-sauce!

Very well done Apologist. My hat is off to you mate!! biggrin.gif
The 14th Expedition
Posted: Jun 6 2011, 07:35 AM

Scout

Member No.: 1,300

Big fan of these guys! Had a go at making a few based on the tutorials for making them.
No idea how he can make so many.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1202 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring