The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Light Vehicles, bikes, tarantulas and Dreads etc...
renlegunvrs
Posted: Jan 30 2008, 05:28 PM

Night Lords Apothecary

Group: Team Pre-Heresy
Member No.: 93

The Termite

The Termite is a small assault tunneller, used to transport troops without exposing them to enemy fire. It can also be used for mounting surprise attacks, appearing behind enemy lines and causing maximum disruption. In this latter role, the vehicle played a decisive part in the capture of Abfall B, when the whole of the first company of the Imperial Fists Space Marines were transported underground into the heart of the Traitor stronghold by more than fifty Termites.

user posted image

Land Speeder

The Land Speeder is a heavy Skimmer, with a two-man crew and heavier armament than a Jet Bike. It is used for a wide range of scouting and fast ground-attack functions. Land Speeders are usually armed with a forward-firing melta-gun and a turret-mounted multi-melta, and have a crew of two Marines.

user posted image

Dreadnoughts

Dreadnoughts have a one-man crew, and combine the form and movement of a suit of powered armour with the protection and firepower of an armoured vehicle.

Imperial Dreadnought pilots are attached to their machines by a spinal link which splices into their own motor nervous system to control the machine; often, they will develop a psychological dependance on their Dreadnoughts, and they are often regarded as a race apart by their Space Marine comrads.

Each Space Marine Chapter has its own force of Dreadnoughts, and hundreds of thousands of Dreadnoughts have seen action on both sides during the wars of the Horus Heresy.

There are many classes and variants of Imperial Dreadnought, but of them all, only three main types have been used in any numbers.

These were Contemptor, a double twin-bolter anti-personnel variant, the Furibundus, armed with las-cannon and twin-linked bolter, and the Deredeo, armed with a bolter and a missle launcher.

Combat
Since the Dreadnought has only one crewman, it may only select one terget at a time; it may not fire on more than one target in a turn.
(please note that some typos were corected by typer)

user posted image

renlegunvrs
Posted: Jan 31 2008, 02:16 AM

Night Lords Apothecary

Motorbike

Motorbikes are widely used by the Space Marines to provide fast and mobile troop detachments. The bikes are fitted with a forward-firing bolter, and are also used in a two-man sidecar combination with an additional swivel-mounted support weapon - commonly a multimelta.

user posted image

Jet Bike

The jetbike is a popular vehicle for advance and scouting purposes, and is used by all Space Marine Chapters. It mounts a single forward-fireing bolter, but mobility and speed are its main weapons. many rapid deployment close assaults have been won due to the presence of Marine Jet Bike Detachments.

user posted image

Rapier

The rapier is a tracked mobile weapon mount, widely used in a heavy anti-personnel role. The typical armament is a multi-laser, making the Rapier very effective against infantry and light vehicles. The Rapier requires a crew of two.

user posted image

Tarantula

The Tarantula is another mobile weapon mount, with a gravatic base which allows it to traverserough ground easily. It mounts a pair of support weapons; las-cannon are the most common armament. The Tarantula requires a crew of one.

user posted image

Mole Mortar

The Mole Mortar, as its name suggests, consists of an angled tube which fires a drill-equiped shell down into the ground. The shell burrows its way to the terget, exploding under the ground or slightly above it. The Mole Mortar requires a crew of two.

user posted image

Thudd Gun

The Thudd Gun is a quad-mounted mobile weapon firing high-explosive shells similar to those used in an auto-cannon. Thudd Guns saw wide service during the Heresy, even being used inside the Imperial Palace on Terra to defend stratigic corridors against the defending traitors. The Thudd Gun requires a crew of two.
(note this is as seen in Codex Titanicus, I believe they mean attacking Traitors.)

user posted image

renlegunvrs
Posted: Jan 31 2008, 02:17 AM

Night Lords Apothecary

Imperial Robots

Imperial battle robots are maintained by the Legio Cybernetica, which is a fighting arm of the Adeptus Mechanicus in the same way as the Collegia Titanica. They are assigned to Space Marine forces for battlefield duties, but are not part of the Legiones Astartes.

Robots have seen service in just about every campaign of the Horus Heresy so far. Perhaps one of the most famous robot-vs-robot action took place in the Eastern Industrial sector of Myrdinn City during the Scouring of Estessian, when small but well-programmed forces of Traitor robots held off a small force of Firebrand Titans supported by dreadnoughts and robots for almost an hour, causing considrerable disruption to the planned flanking sweep.

The majority of Imperial robots which have seen service in the Horus Heresy belong to the following five classes:

Crusader
The Crusader class was designed for speed and agility, and has been most successful in close assaults against infantry and other walkers. It has also been effective in the role of tank-killer, thanks to its speed and firepower of its back-mounted las-cannon. 4 hard points (light armour. fast. power sword in each arm, back mounted las-cannon which can be substituted for heavy bolter or melta-gun)

user posted image

Colossus
The Colossus was developed as a siege robot but has proven itself sufficiently versatile to take on a wide range of battlefield roles, including support and close combat. 4 hard points (armed with melta-gun on back which can be substituted for lascannon or heavy bolter, bolter in right arm which can be substituted for a seige hammer auto-cannon or power fist, and siege weapon in left arm which can be substituted for a flamer boltgun or auto-cannon. slow)

user posted image

Cataphract
This one is one of the heaviest of the Imperial battle robots, designed for a general-purpose role with the accent on versitility and durability. 4 hard points (armed with las-cannon on back which can be substituted for a heavy bolter or melta-gun, bolter in right arm which can be substituted for a power fist seige hammer or auto-cannon, and flamer in left arm which can be substituted for a power fist auto-cannon or siege hammer)

user posted image

Castellan
The Castellan class is a heavy assault robot, slower then the crusader but more hevily armoured. The most common configuration concentrates on anti-personnel weapons. 4 hard points (heavy bolter on back which can be substituted with a las-cannon or meltagun, power fist in both arms which can be substituted with a bolter seigehammer auto-cannon or flamer. slow)

user posted image

Conqueror
The Conqueror is very effective against infantry, and its broad range of weapons suit it for every situation from support to close assault. 5 hard points (armed with auto-cannon replacing right arm which can be substituted with a boltgun siege hammer power fist, heavy bolter on backwhich can be replaced with a las-cannon or meltagun, and power fist in left arm which can be substituted with an auto-cannon flamer or seige hammer)

user posted image

It is accepted practise amoung the forces of the Imperium to give each Robot a three-part code after the class name, to indicate its weapon configuration.

The first element of the code refers to the back-mounted armament, the second element to the right arm and the third element to the left arm. Letters are as follows.

Las-cannon L
Heavy Bolter B
Melta-gun m
Flamer f
Seigehammer H
power fist g
Auto-cannon A
Boltgun b
Power sword s
No weapon x

Upper-case letters are used for heavy weapons, and lower case for normal and close combat weapons. Thus a Colossus class robot like the one shown, equiped with a back-mounted melta-gun, a bolter on a right arm and a seige hammer in place of the left, is referred to as a Colossus mbH.

Robots need 1 Hard Point (HP) for each basic or close combat weapon carried, and 2 HP for each heavy weapon. These 2 HP for heavy weapons are, however, combined into a single mounting for the weapon. The seige hammer requires 2 HP when fitted to a robot.

all info taken from Codex Titanicus, with Robot Information added from Warhammer 40,000 Compendium
Weiss
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 12:10 PM

Iron Father

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 9

This is great man, I hadn't noticed it until now because my browser keeps wiping the gold eagles and saying I've read everything... Might have to include a small group of robots in my army... The info on the Rapier was especially useful, thanks.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 12:13 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Don't forget that under current retcon, robots were only used by the AdMech during the Crusade.

These pics are a real blast from the past! biggrin.gif
Weiss
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 12:26 PM

Iron Father

Good thing I'm Iron Hands then...
Torg
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 09:15 AM

The Talon Master

Group: Champions
Member No.: 31

I'm curious did every legion use Jetbikes? I can't find Jetbike squads from other Legions aside from Emp's Kids,World Eaters,and the Emp's Custodes.
Also I noticed today that the Blood Angels have something called a Chariot squad,
(Pg 181,Book 2 of the Collected visions)Are they kinda like a cross between a Land
speeder and a Jet Bike? huh.gif
renlegunvrs
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 02:09 PM

Night Lords Apothecary

looks kind along the lines of a vyper jetbike to me. one driver and a spot for another marine to stand in a box at the back. maybe they are along the lines of an attack bike but in jetbike form. looks like a close assault type deal to me.

I have been looking threw my old white dwarf mags and found issue 126 with the old epic heresy army lists and organizations. It apears that every legion had access to them.

as a side note i found a table of battle organization for the ultramarines, the dark angels, the blood angels, the space wolves and also the Valedictors which the author had just made up. article by andy chambers

it also has the basic organization for any chapter and how it breaks down. I think i will add it all up in a separate thread in the astartes section tomorrow
Torg
Posted: Feb 25 2008, 09:38 AM

The Talon Master

Group: Champions
Member No.: 31

Yes,please do,I love looking at old RT stuff and fluff,It reminds me of when I first
started in 40k! cool.gif tongue.gif Would love to see stuff like that! biggrin.gif
Weiss
Posted: Mar 6 2008, 11:45 AM

Iron Father

Thought you might be interested in this:Imperial Termite
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0868 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring