The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What was the accident?, Any Thoughts?
Lord Commander Lucius
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 05:28 PM

Sergeant

Group: Champions
Member No.: 67

Hi. First post on this great site.

Now, i've been a great fan of the Emperors Children for a long tiem and was wondering, What was the accident that crippled the Emps Children when they first were founded? It says in the fluff that it destoryed their Gene-seed so what could do that?

Thanks in advance
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 07:41 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I would say either -

1) some sort of mutation caused by faulty batches, or radiation etc
2) a literal physical accident, like the loss of the geneseed archives in a fire or something

Anyone know for sure?
rohanboi
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 08:33 PM

Sergeant

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 15

i concour with shroud smile.gif
always wanted to say that

oh i belive its the mutation and they saw that as a flaw and thats why the stove for perfection ever since..
Vredesbyrd
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 08:46 PM

Number Six

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 24

Did somebody drop cake in the splicing vats?

I always thought it was something along the lines of a virus that had gotten into the growing Marines and killed them whilst they were dormant and being transformed from humans to Marines. This process already has a high mortality rate, so it'd make sense that something happened which raised the mortalilty rates, which would massivley threaten the future of the Legion.
Arven
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 11:27 PM

Sergeant

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Vredesbyrd @ Jan 24 2008, 08:46 PM)
Did somebody drop cake in the splicing vats?

That made me smile.

Where does it talk about the accident?

It does, however, sound like a plot device for Bile to convince Fulgrim to extend his experimenting after meeting the Laer. I remember he said he could correct the imperfections in their gene-seed Laer-style, and Fulgrim agreed out of shame of imperfection mixed with/desire for perfection.
Vredesbyrd
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 11:31 PM

Number Six

Its part of the main background fluff...can't remember where from but the Emperor's Children Legion weren't strong enough to fight on their own until just before The Cleansing of Laeran if I remember rightly.
Yvraith
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 03:01 AM

Mournival Captain

Member No.: 25

It was in the Index Astartes Article on the EC's.
Before they were numerically strong enough to fight alone, they fought along side the Luna Wolves.

Not too sure on what exactly it was that decimated the legion so badly but they were reduced to only about 200 marines.
The Red Sorcerer
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:08 AM

Master of the Archives

Group: Lore Masters
Member No.: 72

The IA implies it was an accident that destroyed the gene-seed itself, rather than the space marines of the legion or proto-marines in vats ("an accident had destroyed nearly all of the precious gene-seed") and seeing as the Primarch himself was missing at the time they were not able to recreate large stocks of gene-seed quickly following the loss. THhis would lead to the small size of the legion prior to the discovery of Fulgrim... without the Primarch, creating new gene-seed was a slow process, and there just wasn't enough to implant in people to create large numbers of marines. I personally would go with ShroudFilm's second option... there is certainly no mention of mutation and the like, and the EC's geneseed is noted as being the purest and most free of imperfection prior to their fall, although this was largely due to the standards insisted upon by the apothecaries. As for exactly what it was, if it isn't mentioned in Fulgrim I suspect we'll never know for sure... a fire, a power/computer failure, a forgetful tech-priest leaving the freezer door open and letting all the gene-seed defrost - could be anything really.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 01:01 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Not knowing little details like that makes it far more interesting.
Weiss
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 02:22 PM

Iron Father

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 9

I'd go with the freak fire theory (or the tech priest leaving the freezer open)...
Torg
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 08:44 AM

The Talon Master

Member No.: 31

Or maybe was part of the accident that reduced the 1,000 sons to a mere
1,000 marines,originally,and had something to do with 2 & 11 Legions birthas well as destruction.
Weiss
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 08:46 AM

Iron Father

It's all conjecture at this point really, we'll have to wait for more juicy details... Though I'm not sure there will be another EC specific book...
Torg
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 08:50 AM

The Talon Master

Member No.: 31

True,True,we'll never know unless they have a book about the begginings
of the Primarch's and the Emporer's origin. wink.gif
Weiss
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 09:27 AM

Iron Father

They damn well better. At least they seem to not be taking a half-arsed approach to it, so I have hope...
The Red Sorcerer
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 10:33 AM

Master of the Archives

Group: Lore Masters
Member No.: 72

The lack of numbers among the Thousand Sons wasn't due to an undisclosed accident though. We know from their Index Astartes exactly what the cause was...
The fifteenth Legion had suffered terribly from the spontaneous, uncontrolled manifestation of psychics amongst their ranks, and those who survived to receive training became amongst the most powerful librarians of the epoch. Many more did not.

It was the fact that until Magnus took charge of the Legion they had no way of reliably dealing with their "destructive psychic mutancy" that caused the lack of numbers. So it is unlikely to have anything to do with what happened to the Emperor's Children, who had exceptionally low levels of mutation in their geneseed in contrast to the extremely high levels present in that of the Thousand Sons.
Weiss
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 11:30 AM

Iron Father

Very good point. I would personally doubt that the two missing legions had anything to do with the EC either.
Vredesbyrd
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 11:51 AM

Number Six

It seems to me that until Magnus was rediscovered the Thousand Sons Legion would've been like and Orc and Goblin army in the Magic Phase - heads popping left right and centre.

Hmm if I want to be fluff accurate in my army (Pre-Laer Emperor's Children) I should really field minimum size Squads to represent the lack of Marines. Too bad I have no intention of doing that at all.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1590 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring