The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Salamanders definitely do have black skin now, 5th edition rulebook
Magos Explorator
Posted: Jul 18 2008, 03:12 PM

Mechanicum Envoy

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 33

Something that's been suggested for a long time now, but rarely indicated by pictures of miniatures, was that the skin of Salamanders space marines turns very dark (almost jet black) due to one of the marines' implanted organs. I forget the name, but the one that changes the shade of their skin in response to changing light conditions.

A couple of miniatures in the past have shown central-African skin tones; in the 5th edition rulebook, however, is a picture of Salamanders containing two without helmets. Both have very dark (Chaos Black-Scorched Brown tone as opposed to Dark Flesh) skin; interestingly, the one with hair has very pale hair (while the other is bald), which is suggestive of it being a change after organ implantation (as, assuming the human phenotype in the 41st millennium is similar to that now, having very dark skin and very pale hair is almost unheard of). I don't have the book here now but can give you a page reference later, if it's of interest.

I don't know whether this change would have manifested itself in the beginning, or the mutation occurred somewhere in the millennia after the Heresy, but thought this was worth mentioning.

I think this is being extended to them having red eyes, too, according to a thread I read (on Warseer?) about a forthcoming Salamanders novel.
Weiss
Posted: Jul 18 2008, 04:01 PM

Iron Father

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 9

They like their extremes don't they? I think it's quite cool though I'm not sure about the red eyes. I saw that post over on the B&C, I think.
Primarch Corax
Posted: Jul 18 2008, 06:21 PM

Scout

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 281

How odd, thats exactly opposite to Raven guard marines. They have chalky white skin and jet black hair, and coal black eyes.
little horus
Posted: Oct 6 2008, 08:46 PM

Sergeant

Member No.: 180

salamanders do have jet black skin and red eyes due to the radiation on nocturne
VESPASIAN
Posted: Oct 7 2008, 05:06 PM

Veteran Sergeant

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (little horus @ Oct 6 2008, 08:46 PM)
salamanders do have jet black skin and red eyes due to the radiation on nocturne

You beat me to it Little Horus. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Space Marine Codex Page 26)
...the battle brothers of the Salamanders Chapter have jet-black skin and burning red eyes- a daemonic appearance brought about by a reaction between their unique genetics and the high levels of radiation on the Chapter planet of Nocturne.

I think that the Salamanders who were recruited from Terra itself would have originally not had this distinctive colouration; however after prolonged exposure to the radiation of Nocturne, they probably would have gradually attained the black skin and red eyes.

There are a couple of painted examples to be found in the codex, but it seems to me that it is going to be quite a challenge to paint an expressive face which has jet black skin.

This post has been edited by VESPASIAN on Oct 7 2008, 05:06 PM
Benedict Arnold
Posted: Oct 7 2008, 08:41 PM

Veteran Sergeant

Group: Champions
Member No.: 62

Bleh. Still unhappy about this. What was wrong with having one Legion who resembled Africans? Also, the coal black skin and red eyes is just a silly idea in my opinion. I'm sure it'll be easy for the Sallies to keep their reputation as one of the few Legions/Chapters to give a damn about civilians when those same civilians think they're demons or other chaos spawn. dry.gif
Whitehorn
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 08:10 AM

Webseer

Group: Team Pre-Heresy
Member No.: 36

'Africans' are part of a vast and varied skin spread on Terra. Why would an entire planet be black? If you want 'African' marines, paint some - they fit in anywhere, especially with a lot of Astartes originating from Terra in the Crusades.

Having the entirely of Salamanders be 'African' because they live on a Volcano planet.. its quite frankly daft.
Whitehorn
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 08:26 PM

Webseer

Hmm, so is Vulkan black skinned? He's not an Astartes, he wasn't born on Nocturne...
Battle Brother Loken
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 08:35 PM

Son of Odin

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 457

but didnt he grow up there?
W0lf
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 08:58 PM

Scout

Member No.: 598

One of my gaming buddies whos just done a whole painted slamanders company (120 models, diff organisation) was really mad when he read the SM book about them.

It annoyed him the refrence tohow their 'daemonic appearance' had helped them to win battles. cool.gif
Magos Explorator
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 11:52 PM

Mechanicum Envoy

QUOTE (Whitehorn @ Jan 25 2009, 08:26 PM)
Hmm, so is Vulkan black skinned? He's not an Astartes, he wasn't born on Nocturne...

I don't think we know for sure. I'm tempted to say yes, as presumably it's his gene-seed which affects the appearance of the rest of the Legion. I suppose we have to wait and see how pre-Heresy Salamanders are described in future novels to work out the timing.

EDIT: Typo found a lot later!

This post has been edited by Magos Explorator on May 13 2010, 06:34 AM
lord_caldera
Posted: Jan 26 2009, 12:23 AM

Brother-Chaplain

Group: Champions
Member No.: 422

I think it would make sense for an entire planet to have dark skin. A high level of pigment may protect the citizens of Nocturne from the planet's radiation, or maybe the initial settlers were largely composed of Africans.

As for the Salamanders' appearance I don't agree with them having a demonic appearance however GW "justifies" it. This combined with their pyromania might draw an Inquisitorial investigation, though the SW and BA seem to have avoided that well...

How was Vulcan described in Fulgrim? I think that would be the best current source for clues.
Gagoc TheAncient
Posted: Jan 26 2009, 01:35 AM

Acclaimed Wordsmith

Group: Remembrancers
Member No.: 13

Fulgrim page 454:
Vulkan's skin was dark and swarthy, and his eyes carried a depth of wisdom that had humbled the greatest scholars of the Imperium.

It goes on to describe his armour as well.

But it doesn't sound as if he has 'Demonic' eyes or features.
Whitehorn
Posted: May 16 2009, 11:34 PM

Webseer

How likely would Terran Salamanders actually fall to this trait? I mean, surely they were far beyond veteran enough to be permanently occupied with the crusade and not spend much time on Nocturne to warrant the exposure and thus black skin?
Thousand Son
Posted: May 12 2010, 11:18 PM

Scout

Member No.: 900

This is a BIG classic example of 'taking it way too serious like'
I noticed that page in the rule book. They are black guys and the hair is 'greying white' like what old people get. Nelson Mandella style laugh.gif

If GW chucks in a few multi-cultural models are you suprised? They have had years and years of selling a concept of 'all aliens are scum' with the astartes. Just like the friendly Tau it's a little bit of PR or maybe not. maybe they are black 'cos some dude thought it would look cool. Come to think of it that's the most likely reason.

You guys amaze me with your knowledge of this subject and I'm learning loads of great stuff reading the posts here - but come on, sometimes there's less to it all then you'd like. Some (not all) GW people add fluff here and there without your full passion, respect and knowledge, I believe.

Magos Explorator
Posted: May 13 2010, 06:34 AM

Mechanicum Envoy

I think you're perhaps reading something into this thread that wasn't intentional (by me at least). smile.gif When I first posted this thread a couple of years ago, I think this was pretty 'new' information. Previously there had been references to their skin darkening although the few GW-painted models themselves were painted with a variety of skin tones. We didn't know whether they were meant to be charcoal, African-esque or something else.

The fluff doesn't say they are 'multi-cultural' or of African ethnicity; I don't think we're trying to make any ethnic classifications here. Rather the newer fluff says their skin turns charcoal and they have red eyes, due to Nocturne/their geneseed rather than their branch of the human tree. Previously the fluff hadn't really said anything about their appearance.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think their ethnicity is the crux of the matter. I had a Salamanders force prior to the 3rd edition Codex: Armageddon about a decade ago. There wasn't much info on them before then. That Codex changed a lot of things for myself and other Salamanders players with its fluff (the different armour colour being just one). Then we learned more with 4th/5th edition and the newer novels. I guess that's just the evolution of fluff. GW's decisions (e.g. bright green armour and charcoal skin) proved different from the painting decisions I and others had made beforehand.

Hopefully this makes sense?

This post has been edited by Magos Explorator on May 13 2010, 06:41 AM
ShroudFilm
Posted: May 13 2010, 02:47 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

All fluff is created because it "sounds cool". GW are just like the rest of us - a massive bunch of fanboy geeks. Only thing is, what they make up gets made into canon.
Thousand Son
Posted: May 13 2010, 11:21 PM

Scout

yeah, good points - taken.
So you build an army, paint it, then GW changes the rules / background fluff.
Don't you guys live in perpetual fear seeing as though you're all collecting and building PH armies from well known chapters? I know about the two deleted Primarchs, but that kind of makes it a bit wierd to come in and do an army that isn't supposed to have any record in 40k times. Has anyone done that?

All this reminds me about the troop numbers and weapon options for tactical squads. I'm still confused as to wether a marine should be modelled with a holstered bolt pistol as well as the bolt gun - or not. There must be loads of pissed off players who's particular squad here or there is rendered illegal as each version of the codex is recreated.

Thousand Son
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 11:25 PM

Scout

QUOTE (Magos Explorator @ May 13 2010, 06:34 AM)
I think you're perhaps reading something into this thread that wasn't intentional (by me at least). smile.gif

Sorry magos. Never noticed that bit in the latest space marines codex about the salamanders skin. My bad. Not the first time I've waded in without the facts. I'll get points for dumb enthusiasm, none for facts in this thread wink.gif I'll try to leave old threads alone.
Magos Explorator
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 11:29 PM

Mechanicum Envoy

No worries - enthusiasm is what's most important! smile.gif
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2258 seconds | Archive
Warvault
Webring