The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

There may still be records of the II and XI
MrBojab
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 12:30 PM

Battle-Brother

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 945

It is possible that there is/was still records/knowledge of the missing legions.

In Salamander by Nick Kyme, the Salamanders find an ancient marine that had been alive since the heresy, therefore he may have had knowledge of the legions.

Also the Tome of Fire, Vulkan's Journal. This book would not have been editted by Imperial Authorities and although the meaning of it is unclear, hidden in the pages may be a reference to the two missing legions.

Although this is just a theory, I would like to know your thoughts.

Cheers
MrBojab
Magos Explorator
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 11:55 PM

Mechanicum Envoy

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 33

Those are possible. There are others who will know, though: e.g. the Chaos Primarchs and original surviving marines from the Traitor Legions... unless somehow they all forgot!
Uzthizzar, Librarian-Sorceror
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 07:27 AM

Master of Ankhet

Group: Loyalists
Member No.: 637

QUOTE (Magos Explorator @ Apr 21 2011, 11:55 PM)
Those are possible. There are others who will know, though: e.g. the Chaos Primarchs and original surviving marines from the Traitor Legions... unless somehow they all forgot!

I'll ask Abaddon for you when I see him tomorrow for scones and tea. tongue.gif

Being serious though, I think that's easily possible, but GW just won't let us have any details whatsoever of the two missing legions. sad.gif
Michaelangelos
Posted: Jun 17 2011, 01:50 PM

Sergeant

Member No.: 853

ive created one of the lost legions II to be exact

and he says the high lords are idiots
Leman Russ SW
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 12:17 AM

Battle-Brother

Member No.: 696

Its hinted at in both Prospero Burns and Battle for the Fang that the Space Wolves had been used to attack other Marine Legions Before taking on the 1K Sons. So one of them must have been take out by the Wolves
The 14th Expedition
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 11:20 AM

Scout

Member No.: 1,300

Its clear from The First Heretic that all of the Primarchs knew the two Legions and their Primarchs and what happened to them - Lorgar mentions it when speaking to Magnus and is told not to say anything more of it by. From the conversation it is clear that one if not both were deliberately destroyed at the Emperor's behest and forbidden from being spoken of at all by anyone whatsoever all swore an oath - pages 160-169 is the conversation.
The Ultramarines certainly knew about it - it's also hinted they took on survivors from the destroyed Legion/s, as they swelled in numbers at the time when the Legions were destroyed.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 02:01 PM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Of course records still exist - all human knowledge is recorded *somewhere* in the Imperium. But imagine the level of secrecy surrounding our modern day western governments... that's NOTHING compared to the level of secrecy employed in the Imperium.

In a universe of TRILLIONS of humans, I'd say less than twenty know what really goes on. The High Lords will not be in that twenty.
Tatters
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 02:43 PM

Sergeant

Member No.: 855

So those twenty would include

Alan Merrett
Nick Kyme
Dan Abnett
Graham Mcneil...

All kept alive for 40,000 years through meds, statis and the sacrifice of human souls right?
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 06:15 PM

The Second Heretic

Don't be silly, everyone knows Alan Merrett is immortal anyway.
Brother Handro
Posted: Jun 18 2011, 09:31 PM

Scion of Barbarus

Member No.: 47

I wonder what kind of event it must have been to bring about the destruction of a Legion (twice, assuming the reasons aren't connected), and have the whole Imperium sworn to secrecy and yet the Ultramarines are allowed (possibly) to absorb surviving Legionnaries?

Usually marines don't do things by halves. If they're not allowed to exist anymore and no-one's allowed to even talk about them you'd think they'd have been eradicated, especially if the Wolves got involved.

Moot point anyway, we'll never know!
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 10:10 AM

The Second Heretic

The only clues that we have so far as to what they actually did are that:

1) Their tragedies were 'separate' and unrelated

2) They somehow echo the Heresy in some way, or at least showed that rebellion against the Emperor was possible
Brother Handro
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 09:35 PM

Scion of Barbarus

Shroud,

remind me again how we know they echo the Heresy/show rebellion against the Emperor is possible? What's the source, I forget! laugh.gif

I remember that they are described as tragedies, so not straight out 'Chaos did it so now you must be exterminated', so i guess they echo the Heresy in that they may have fallen from grace gradually, as circumstances spiral out of control; the thin end of the wedge, like Magnus' boys an' all that.

Why are things more exciting when we don't (and can't) know the details?! rolleyes.gif
BigWill
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 10:49 PM

The Sigillite

Member No.: 17

What I would like to know is does Alan have a definite idea in his head on thier histories or is it vauge to him too.
Sure he could make one up after the fact,but did he have a plan all along for these guys?

I belive it was orginally nobody just a plot device for home grown army paint scemes
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 11:50 PM

The Second Heretic

QUOTE (Brother Handro @ Jun 19 2011, 09:35 PM)
remind me again how we know they echo the Heresy/show rebellion against the Emperor is possible? What's the source, I forget!

Rogal Dorn's scene in the arena, in 'The Lightning Tower', right before Malcador comes in.
Brother Handro
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 12:15 AM

Scion of Barbarus

@Shroud;

Thanks. +1 to your Lorecraft. smile.gif

@BigWill

I always had the impression that it was deliberately desinged to allow players to come up with their own fluff and paint schemes; as to whether they have something more solid in mind, probably not anything so defined, but they are probably amassing all the little asides we are fed in the novels in order for Alan to have a nice little web of knowledge, mainly in order not to contradict themselves later.

Consider Obi-Wan's 'I fought with your father in the Clone Wars'. Throwaway backstory line or slow-burning key plot device? Did George Lucas really have the plot of Episodes I, II and III in his mind as he was filming A New Hope?

No, almost certainly not, and writing Episode IV on his first film was (imho) just something that gave the story both added substance and coolness. It's the reason we all nerdgasm for the Heresy in the first place! (Plus Episode IV: A New Hope was tacked on afterwards).

Still don't think they'll ever explicitly come out with The Knowledge!
BigWill
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 03:27 AM

The Sigillite

Member No.: 17

Me niether
And part of me hopes it stays that way.
Michaelangelos
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 08:59 AM

Sergeant

Member No.: 853

so for my legion.

could i have it so i have some sort of civil war?

and when lets say luna wolves investigate, they end up meeting the heretic of my legion who open fire. This forces them to declare them heretics
The 14th Expedition
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 01:24 PM

Scout

Very minor point - "Heretics" is not the word to go for. As the Imperium of the 31st Millenium is secular, there is no heresy, as there is no religion. There is rebellion however, so I would use the phrase "rebels" in any fiction you make.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 02:18 PM

The Second Heretic

No, 'heretic' is not an inherently religious term. It translates literally as "someone who thinks for themselves".

All of the traitors in HH are called 'heretics' quite openly. Again, ref. 'The Lightning Tower', with mention of the "sallow heretics".
The 14th Expedition
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 02:40 PM

Scout

Fair enough. Comment withdrawn.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0326 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring