The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

pre-Heresy Astartes and the Mechanicus
Plague Angel
Posted: Jan 2 2011, 08:40 AM

Raw Recruit

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 1,129

What was the relationship between the Cult of Mars and the Space Marines during the time of the Heresy? Were there Techmarines? I'm thinking about starting a pre-Heresy army list and I'm wondering what my options are. There are already threads about weapons and vehicles I noticed, and the codices themselves give ideas on how old some things are, but this is something that came to mind I haven't seen addressed yet.
ShroudFilm
Posted: Jan 2 2011, 09:50 AM

The Second Heretic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There are definitely Techmarines in the HH era, as per the artwork and in 'Fallen Angels'. From what we can tell though, they tended to wear their own legion colours rather than the red of Mars.

I use Techmarines in my Iron Warriors army, but Enginseers-count-as-Techmarines in World Eaters. You can justify more active Mechanicum presence in a PH army, than a regular 40k one.
Plague Angel
Posted: Jan 3 2011, 02:10 AM

Raw Recruit

Group: Imperial Citizens
Member No.: 1,129

I'm assuming it varied slightly from Legion to Legion, like "now"? Iron Hands/Warriors would favor it, obviously, but what about others like the Ultras, or Alpha Legion?
Ilmarinen
Posted: Jan 3 2011, 04:40 AM

Ghost of Terra

Group: Admin
Member No.: 360

All the Legions would have had to have had techmarines to tend to their equipment. What would probably vary is their relationship with the Mechanicum, bearing in mind their attitudes to war and technology. The more tech-minded Legions would obviously get on better and I would imagine the more brutal Legions might get on a bit worse.

There is an Ultramarine techmarine in Collected Visions, in Ultra colours with a steampunk style backpack.
Pacific
Posted: Jan 3 2011, 11:23 AM

Captain

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 260

You could probably make an argument for there actually being more techmarines around during the Crusade legions than in their 40k counterparts. The latter just act to maintain and keep equipment levels up, whereas the former were constantly introducing new wargear and vehicles.

You can also imagine a wider variety of roles; imagine the introduction of new infrastructure to worlds brought into compliance, of attempts to understand alien foes or technology. Also and perhaps most importantly, the entire attitude of the Imperium towards technology, which in my mind is one of the biggest differences between the 30th and 40th millenniums. I'm sure the admech would have taken a central role in all of the above, but communication and co-operation of this with the Astartes Legions would have been vital, and thats where the Techmarines would have come in.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0340 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring