The content of this forum is not officially endorsed by Games Workshop, and no challenge is made to any copyright or intellectual property.

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Great Crusade. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A reference in BFTA: MkV and MkVI?
Mithras
Posted: Sep 24 2010, 09:25 PM

Assassin-at-Marque

Group: Champions
Member No.: 21

Hello, brethren...

Perhaps this was discussed during my prolonged absence. If so, I apologize in advance. However, after skimming for details for the Notitia earlier this month, I've now finished "Nemesis" and I'm reading Battle for the Abyss in its entirety rather than skimming through. One item troubles me somewhat.

Fairly early in the book, Ben Counter describes two Astartes. One of them, a member of the Ultramarines (I think its Cestus, don't have the book in front of me) is described as wearing "Mark VI" armor. His counterpart, a World Eater, is described as wearing "Mark V." Now, I realize that the timeline of armor development is very much "in flux" as far as most of us are concerned, but this throws another wrinkle into the mix. If the events in "Battle for the Abyss" are taking place at the same time as Istvaan III, as the author intimates, what on earth are the Ultramarines doing wearing Corvus pattern armor? I can -almost- understand "Heresy" pattern; it seems to have been used earlier than most of us had originally thought, and it's entirely possible that the shortages developed prior to the Heresy becoming openly known (oops - our supply situation has suddenly become difficult at this point in the crusade, due to the cost of the production of Maximus pattern, etc.) but Mark VI? I thought it was pretty clearly established that, aside from the Corvus pattern helm, the armor itself wasn't available until the Heresy was openly known, and then, in fairly limited numbers, most of those with the Traitor Legions.

Does this, then, mean, that Mark VI armor is actually available late Crusade/Early Heresy era?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

-Mithras
Magos Explorator
Posted: Sep 24 2010, 10:09 PM

Mechanicum Envoy

Group: Iterators
Member No.: 33

I think it's often interpreted as either a continuity error or else being very early prototype suits.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0340 seconds · Archive
Warvault
Webring