Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Den Tree. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. To register click on the register button in the top left corner above the add. Thank you.

Name:   Password:

WV Bobcat Hunting
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 10:47 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

My dad and I are planning on making a few trips to WV this season to try and run some bobcats. With PA shortening there season we are trying to find somewhere else to run. We are kind of going about this blindly. Hard to ask other dog guys where to go because I don't want to step on anyone's toes. We are planning on trying the Dolly Sods only because I was just down there deer hunting and got a look at the place. Am I wasting my time there? How hard does it get hunted? Just curious if any of you guys know.
wvmountainhick
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 12:24 PM

top tree dog

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The sods gets hit pretty hard but not sure how hard they hunt for cats. I've got a plae with a few on it if you want to give them a try. I'd like to tag along one time just to see what it's like if it's something you're interested in. I missed one a few years ago with my bow and my buddy just saw one down there a couple weeks ago. It's pretty thick and they seem to be hanging around some. How far do they normally go before treeing?
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 01:13 PM

It depends on the cat and the conditions. The thicker it is the harder it is to tree them. Sometimes they short circle like a rabbit, sometimes they line out and go a couple miles. You never know what you are gonna end up with. If you want, pm me your # and I will give you a call. I would have no problem with someone tagging along especially if they are willing to help out.
wvcurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 01:26 PM

Ruff-N-Rowdy Kennels

Member No.: 1

I really don't see much around here. No one around here hunt for em a far as I know (and I know alot of dog guys). I was in the dolly sods before and looks like it could be some fine hunting for cats. Not real thick and good timber. If you wanted to venture this way (southwest of WV) Cabin Creek right below Charleston (coal mine) has a ton of em run into alot of em while bear huntin.
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 01:48 PM

Is there much public land down that way or is it private?
wvcurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 02:12 PM

Ruff-N-Rowdy Kennels

The coal company owns it and all hunting is open to the public. Where is also a few WMA around these parts too but, don't know much about cats on them. The coal land though has a ton of cats and bears. Pretty good hunting too. Has alot of roads you can drive that's away from all the mining and it open to the public to drive on.
longears
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 05:56 PM

longears

Member No.: 47

the sods has a lotta territory,pretty rough ad places so thick you have to belly crawl thru, I have crossed over creeks on top of the laurel and couldnt even see the water but there are cats up there, my dogs ran one when we were bear hunting but we caught them when it crossed the road. The problem is when it snows up you cant get across the top and they close the gates.
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I see there was some really thick areas. I was wondering about them closing the gates.
pnb
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 07:51 AM

advanced member

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (wvcurhunter @ Dec 2 2011, 01:26 PM)
I really don't see much around here. No one around here hunt for em a far as I know (and I know alot of dog guys). I was in the dolly sods before and looks like it could be some fine hunting for cats. Not real thick and good timber. If you wanted to venture this way (southwest of WV) Cabin Creek right below Charleston (coal mine) has a ton of em run into alot of em while bear huntin.

Ha Nathan I have coon hunted the Cabin Creek area the last time I was in there they were drilling gas wells cut back on the hunting some.
Paul
wvcurhunter
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 11:08 AM

Ruff-N-Rowdy Kennels

Paul that sucks because that was some good hunting in the I always thought. When we was down there bear huntin a few years back with took our dogs and coon hunted all night. The next day while out bear huntin with our bows I was thinking to myself "boy hunting bear with a bow and tired ain't the best decision I've made in my life".
wvbearhunter
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 08:26 PM

advanced member

Member No.: 21

if the weather holds out on sods it gets bear hunted to death . like longears said there is places u can't crawl through or see daylight. not many cat hunter down here i'll check smoke holes for u and let u no if any sign tracks ect
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 09:07 PM

I appreciate it. I am glad to hear there aren't alot of cat hunters, don't want to step on anyones toes. On the other hand it may be bad cause maybe it is tough enough no one wants to do it.
mtncurhunter
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 09:09 PM

Oh yeah and I want to metion that I did see "some" bear sign while I was deer hunting in the sods. biggrin.gif
wvbearhunter
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 10:13 PM

advanced member

Member No.: 21

yea there is several on sods this year beech hit good and thanks . is that were you killed that nice buck
wvmountainhick
Posted: Dec 4 2011, 07:53 PM

top tree dog

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (mtncurhunter @ Dec 2 2011, 06:13 PM)
It depends on the cat and the conditions. The thicker it is the harder it is to tree them. Sometimes they short circle like a rabbit, sometimes they line out and go a couple miles. You never know what you are gonna end up with. If you want, pm me your # and I will give you a call. I would have no problem with someone tagging along especially if they are willing to help out.

My # is in the phone tree pinned at the top of the tailgate page. If you can't find it feel free to let me know and I'll gladly send it to you.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Skin created by Nike_. Find more great skins at IF Skin Zone.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3091 seconds | Archive