zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Den Tree. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. To register click on the register button in the top left corner above the add. Thank you.

Name:   Password:

Tips on training a Mountain cur
TGR
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 12:33 PM

Shadowtail Kennels

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

Hey everyone, I've hunted Mountain Feist dogs for the last 2 years now. I've got a buddy who bought a Mountain Cur pup 2 months back who asked me to take him up for free since he can't hunt much this year. I didn't chat pedigrees with him but I know what he paid him (not that price matters) and I have heard of the man who breeds the curs that the pup came from in NC. The pup is 5 months currently. I've only hunted with a friends dad's cur dog when I was a kid and know very little about them. I was very lucky with all 3 of my Feist, they started pretty young and figured out everthing from staying in the timber all the time and fooling around with live trapped squirrels, pelts, and frozen tails. I can't say I trained them, I just got lucky with them. So, I was wondering if I could get any training tips from any cur handlers/hunters. The biggest question to me is how different are they from a feist? How much different is their handling and ranging when in the timber and will they try to run deer....... I am studying up on mountain Curs but I would greatly appreciate any info, training tips, or suggestions. I also coon hunt with my Feist Angler so this cur pup has me really thinking. Thanks everyone, Byron
TGR
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 12:51 PM

Shadowtail Kennels

I'm sorry, I just realized I posted this in general talk instead of the training section. I can be slow at times, I will get it right next time........
pnb
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 01:57 PM

advanced member

Member No.: 14

Most curs are just like feist put them in the wood and they will figure it out, as for range they will hunt out about 150 to 250 yards most of the time. they will bump a deer every now and then but are easy broke.
Paul
wvcurhunter
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 02:31 PM

Ruff-N-Rowdy Kennels

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Paul speaks the truth!! I think you'll like one. BTW it was good talking with ya on the phone!!
TGR
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 07:10 PM

Shadowtail Kennels

It was great chatting with you Nathan and I really appreciate your insight on Cur dogs. I've been researching curs since my buddy made mention of the pup but nothing beats talking to someone with real knowledge of the dogs, thanks again for your time. I'm looking foward to working with this pup and I'll try to get a pic up once I get him. Thanks guys!
wvcurhunter
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 07:10 PM

Ruff-N-Rowdy Kennels

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I forgot to mention to you on the phone. If you ever get to a tree and that cur is settin in the open and not under a tree and barking. Don't worry some cur will tree under the game it's chasing. Bristal will do this on coons. If the game is out on a limb it will set under it and not the tree and tree on it that way.
TGR
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 07:31 PM

Shadowtail Kennels

QUOTE (wvcurhunter @ Sep 30 2011, 07:10 PM)
I forgot to mention to you on the phone. If you ever get to a tree and that cur is settin in the open and not under a tree and barking. Don't worry some cur will tree under the game it's chasing. Bristal will do this on coons. If the game is out on a limb it will set under it and not the tree and tree on it that way.

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif I will keep that in mind!
VADAN
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 10:03 PM

Unregistered

When I read that you hunt coon that made me perk up. I also hunt coon with my Feist and they are good at it. Put that little Cur in the woods as much as you can.
It will catch on and make you proud.
The best advice I can give you is WOODS TIME, WOODS TIME, WOODS TIME
and enjoy the moment.

Daniel
longears
Posted: Sep 30 2011, 10:15 PM

longears

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (VADAN @ Sep 30 2011, 10:03 PM)
When I read that you hunt coon that made me perk up. I also hunt coon with my Feist and they are good at it. Put that little Cur in the woods as much as you can.
It will catch on and make you proud.
The best advice I can give you is WOODS TIME, WOODS TIME, WOODS TIME
and enjoy the moment.

Daniel

I have to agree with daniel, these dogs be it cur or fiest want to tree game, woods time and a lot of encouragement is all they need
skeets
Posted: Oct 1 2011, 02:32 AM

top tree dog

Member No.: 27

tgr ive hunted about every kind of tree dog that there is and even hunted fiest back in the 60s when i could barley keep up, ive think you pretty much train them all the same no matter what breed. ive had some really good curs and when they were young they would flat run deer for miles and they knew they did wrong so on the way back they would tree coons so they wouldnt get whiped lol. alot of people wouldnt have a cur run a deer like that but i didnt mind, they were really gamey and i thought if i can get them just hunting coon and break them off a deer they would be something, i finally broke them and i kept everone until the died of old age they were the best dogs ive ever had. my curs hunted wide for curs but i mostly coon hunted and i think if you coon hunt a dog more than squirrel hunt them most of the time they will hunt wider, i also think that a dog thats coon hunted a lot will be a colder nose dog on squirrels. ive got a buddy thats won the state champion 2 years straight with different dogs and he started his dogs on coon then switched them over to squirrels he said the state hunt is in jan. when the weather is bad and it take a cold nose dog to win. ive hunted with them dogs and they aint no joke. most of this is my opinion and i darn sure dont know it all, ive had more bad dogs than good uns but everyone i had to make it was hunted real hard and they never would have made it unless they were naturals. i hope yours turn out great for ya. butch jackson
rebel
Posted: Oct 4 2011, 11:24 AM

Member No.: 20

U will spend more time UN-training than actually training... U cannot make one go hunting or tree...It is natural....If not then U are wasting your time... Woods time and mistake correcting is all U can do with your pup...

JMHO!!!

Terry Snider
spotted dog
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 01:37 AM

Member No.: 23

That was alot of good replies with good advice, i have fooled with both Feist and Cur a long time and if they are a good breed both are natural tree dogs and like Rebel said you will spend more time untraining than training just keep them in the woods, but to me the two are as different as night and day when you compare them to each other i have never owned a Feist that hunted like a Cur or acted like one and its hard to find a Feist with as much nose and wind as a Cur and most will double the range but they dont have the spunk that a Feist brings to the game ... Dimpsy ...
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic Options

Skin created by Nike_. Find more great skins at IF Skin Zone.

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1361 seconds | Archive