InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The 2 Gs - CSRN. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What a difference
henry5
Posted: Mar 22 2007, 06:59 AM

Card-carrying Midnight Rider

Group: Members
Member No.: 141

So in my effort to become a better coach, I took a coaches certification course earlier in the week. Even though I am coaching U11's now, the program is such that it starts with the U6 and U8 coaching techniques, and I have to say it was a real eye opener. I really wish I had taken this course 5 years ago.

The whole focus is on getting kids maximum amount of touches on the ball during practice - forget passing drills at this age - work on dribbling.

My advice to new coaches is find a course. Look to your local soccer organizations, or if they don't exist look to the state soccer organization or even national soccer organization and see if they have any. Get educated. It was so helpful even for me and I have been coaching my kids for 5 years.

--------------------
Cheers,

Hank
user posted image
user posted image
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." --Sir Winston Churchill

USA!!!
http://revsmidnightride.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/henry5
Twiggster
Posted: Mar 22 2007, 08:08 AM

GLORY GLORY LEEDS UNITED - Rising from the Flames!

Member No.: 45

Nice one Hank! wink.gif Now I expect your kids to win the league this season. tongue.gif

--------------------
LEEDS and user posted image THRU AND THRU!

user posted image

.........user posted image
henry5
Posted: Mar 22 2007, 08:49 AM

Card-carrying Midnight Rider

Member No.: 141

QUOTE (Twiggster @ Mar 22 2007, 12:08 PM)
Nice one Hank! wink.gif Now I expect your kids to win the league this season. tongue.gif

Well we won LAST season.... undefeated!!!!

--------------------
Cheers,

Hank
user posted image
user posted image
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." --Sir Winston Churchill

USA!!!
http://revsmidnightride.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/henry5
jtgulls
Posted: Apr 23 2007, 06:45 AM

Chivas! NUFC! Torquay! Fire!

Member No.: 7

Hank - that's great. Getting new ideas is vital to keeping the kids interested & involved, so that they build on old skills and develop new ones.

In Illinois, we have different courses but I just haven't been able to find the time for the next level - D license. Just may not happen and since we've seeded the training to professionals at our club in the past five years, perhaps it's not as necessary. I just nick the new ideas off the trainers now when I need to reenforce certain elements of the game. Still, I applaud you for honing your skills.

"What a difference"

Yes what a difference a year can make. My U15s had their first match of the year and what a difference a year can make.

We are a club in the Chicago city limits and as such we really don't receive a great deal of support from the City of Chicago, in the way that suburban clubs are supported by their suburbs. Field availability, field quality, even just the general structure isn't bolstered by Chicago.

We draw from a small pool so our U9 through U14 boys are generally wanting for quality & quantity near the end of the roster. Last year, I had four boys who had played for years but were not up to the physical conditioning challenges, let alone the desire to play or love of the game needed to compete at older levels. They just continued because their parents wanted them to play and we had roster space.

This year, - the U15s - I have fewer boys on the roster but they all love the game and are in great shape. They are eager to play and draw energy from each other. Much higher team spirit now that they all want to be part of this team and give it their all. Half the team is new so they are still learning each other's moves, still learning to play their roles in our system. However, they generally played well (and we have a terrific keeper) so we won 4-1 with just 11 players, no subs in 80 degree heat.

We may not win many more matches but the love of the game is better than I've ever seen.

What a difference a year makes.

--------------------
" ... but that's just raised the price of tacos. It's just wrong."____ Mr. G. Bell
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0829 seconds | Archive