InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Tetel'ac, a free-form medieval/renaissance RP
full of intrigue, mayhem, murder and romance. All levels are
welcome, from beginners to advanced roleplayers, and joining is easy.
Make an account and read through our New Person Checklist

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Shalinda at Grosvnersburg
Isaiah Grosvner
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 01:26 PM

Count of Hoei
Group Icon

Group: High Noble
Member No.: 31

Ione was not an adventurous lady by any means, like all the Grosvners of her generation she grew up under the shadow of her much-adored father, Duke Cyrus Grosvner, and even the shadow of her domineering mother. She was certainly the more ambitious of the Grosvner daughters, her elder sister suffering a weakness to food. That weakness eventually did eat Helga up, and she died from being too fat. A'er bless poor Helga's soul! Being a woman in a world where men controlled many aspects, in a world where brute strength was an asset, Ione had to sharpen her mind. She turned to the merchant trade and took up a position within the Sandford Commerce Guild, well the administration of the Guild. She spent most of her time in Hanalei at her offices in Fort Union where she monitored all the documents, files, and books. She was essentially the accountant of the Guild. Ione grew up in a totally different world, but she grew up in the Grosvners vision of it - a vision of the world different from many other nobles.

Ione only sat back in the chair and pressed her legs together, she looked down unsure of how to break the news to Shalinda. The young girl was very idealistic, and perhaps he thoughts on helping everyone were out of place. Such notions were merely that, imagined creations. It would be unrealistic to live in a Utopia where all was well. The Grosvners were not so radical, because they had thought about that, and they realised people could only be given the opportunity. Some failed, some succeeded, and others got by through other means. "Offering the opportunity gives people incentive... and that is what keeps most people going," she replied. Essentially, Ione and her family felt people should work to live, and they disagreed with the old class hierarchy that dictated people lived to work if they were born as peasants. The Grosvners had revolutionised Kelyea by letting people find work, and learn skills to work, rather than have their birth dictate their profession. Kelyea was the breadbasket of Tetel'ac, economically speaking.

"I can't help everyone. Maybe you can find a way to make more money by helping others? Be creative!" She had to admit that there was no way to help everyone, and she was from the richest family in the Kingdom. Oh sure if they shared gold and wealth with everyone they could distort the market they have been working so hard on and cause chaos, as well as go broke instantly. The young woman here did not understand the intricate nature of economics, and how everything was connected in one way or another. "The gold is there, if you wish, or you could refuse... The choice is yours. One time offer, take it or leave it. I suppose this is all?"
Shalinda
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 04:08 PM

Runaway
Group Icon

Group: Commoner
Member No.: 51

How could an Aknatari woman know anything about economics when almost all her life was spent being prepped for the marriage markets? Shalinda only knew the basics, and even if she did accept this, what if she failed? Already she felt like she owed this woman - whom she hadn't met before now - so how would she be able to pay her back? But then again...she had nothing left but her name...so maybe this was something fate was handing her...

How was she to be creative though when she hardly knew how to do anything? That money was tempting...mostly to get a new set of clothes. How long since I bathed? I bet I look awful... She thought, once more blushing slighty at her current state of dress. If she took this chance, she could fail or succeed, but then she would be away from those that would try to take advantage of her...but then again, this woman didn't say how much money would be 'lent' or 'given' to her. And how would she pay them back?

"I suppose I can attempt to do some sort of business. At least I will not be told I cannot do something..." She caved in finally, although still reluctant to commit to this. "I'm not sure what exactly to do, but it is better than heading back to Aknatar and possibly facing my death there."

--------------------
Isaiah Grosvner
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 07:34 PM

Count of Hoei
Group Icon

Group: High Noble
Member No.: 31

Ione did not expect for the girl to have the level of education or knowledge she possessed, but oftentimes business was more about common sense than bookish intelligence. Did Shalinda possess common sense? In reality, that was the ultimate question here, could this girl from Aknatar succeed if given the resources, or would she fall flat and fail? The amount of money Ione was giving to her was not a loss for the wealthy family, so Ione felt the girl would not need to owe her. If things started succeeding they would make sure she was brought in under the Sandford Commerce Guild.

Maybe Shalinda would take the money to start up an inn for weary travellers, with a tavern in it to mix with local business? Maybe she would start a brothel, which could net some hefty revenues. Maybe she wanted to open a shop, or be a baker, or a butcher, perhaps a seamstress? The choice was hers, and hers alone. Success often required the task of challenging risk before being rewarded.

"Think about it, maybe you need some time to figure out what you would like to do?" The Lady realised it may be too much for someone to take in at once. Shalinda may have to rest and sleep on it before coming to a better decision. The girl was at least sure there was better opportunities here than in Aknatar, as her last comment said. "In the meanwhile we will host you as a guest here at Grosvnersburg, you will be provided with private chambers and a personal attendant. You are free to explore Kelyea, come to me when you are ready and we will set things up," she explained politely. She would need to find an attendant, a butler of sorts, to accompany Shalinda.
Shalinda
Posted: May 3 2012, 03:21 AM

Runaway
Group Icon

Group: Commoner
Member No.: 51

She had been taught several things, but those subjects included on how to act as a wife and future mother. No one gave her any lessons on how to start a business...or even having one for that matter. Women weren't supposed to do anything aside from becoming married and having children...or, and taking care of the house while the men did the 'real' work. Besides, she didn't know how much she was going to be given, so until then, she wasn't sure what could be done...or anything along those lines.

But as the woman spoke once more, giving her time to think about that choice while again mentioning that she would be welcomed in this magnificent house as their guest, Shalinda was about to give thanks again, but the mention of having a personal attendant made her start. As much as she wanted to refuse someone else stepping to care for her (back home she had her own 'attendants' who were more friends and confidants than servants to her), it would be an insult to refuse otherwise. So the brunette just simply nodded and gingerly took some more of the food that was on the table after refilling her cup of water. For now, food came first, then possibly a nice long warm bath...and maybe she could work the cloth into something that resembled a dress...or figure something out.

"Again, I thank you for your kindness, my lady. I have not been this far south before, so I do not know what is around here. At least it is far nicer in appearance than in Aknatar...quite the opposite of it actually." The woman spoke up after swallowing the food that was in her mouth. "I do want to apologize if I have been a burden; I honestly did not think the situation would turn out as it did." One of the makeshift sleeves of the 'dress' had slipped off of her shoulder, so Shalinda had to maneuver the cup on her hand to try and hoist it back up as her face once more grew red for being in such a state.

((sorry for the delay...moving day is approaching quickly, so things were hectic...well that and I had to catch my muse. tongue.gif ))

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive
Burnt Offering skin created by jhaldun. of RPG-Directory.
Welcome
A Medieval/Renaissance Roleplay
Genre Medieval Form Freeform
Level Intermediate+ Members ####

This is Tetel’ac, where the women are capricious, the ale is usually tepid, and life is hard. Prince or pauper, the world is a dangerous place to play and the game of politics is far from voluntary. Whether you live in the gentle tropics, lush forests, harsh mountains, or expansive desert, every day is sure to spell adventure for those who live under the intruding thumb of the king, or amoung the hidden eyes of oh so many spies. With a kingdom on the brink of yet a second revolution, the future is a fragile thing indeed.

[We've Moved!]

We've Moved!

Follow us on our new site!

IC News

We've Moved!

OOC News

Feb. 17, 2014

We've Moved!

-DG

We've Moved!

Affiliates
Click to Affiliate!

SherwoodSecrets Affiliates     Aeterna Roma         BTM affiliates     Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG     Ascension"
RPG-D    RPGD Topsites