Everyone has to start somewhere and roleplaying is no different. All of us first sought out a site that looks interesting and fits our needs and wishes. But what then? This small guide contains a few tips about immersing yourself into a new game and having an easier transition from new player to member.1. Joining, Read Me
When spot a site that might suit you there are a few things you should do when joining. To make sure you didn’t join on impulse do research! Put your Sherlock’s Holmes hat on and start investigating.
First you need to read are rules. Many sites share basic rules such as ‘respect staff and other members’ or ‘No god-modding/power playing’ but while they are similar there might also be site or genre specific rules or restriction you should pay attention to. Once you check that it’s best to slowly go through other documentation the roleplay offers. That way you’ll understand the game easier and world staff has made. This enables you to get a sense of what character could fit and how to enter the site story.2. Stalkers Digest
There are some things you won’t find in rules or chat boxes. By now you read the rules and all other informational threads but there is something you’re still not sure about. What’s the community like? Is their posting habit similar to what I’m looking for? There are two things to do:
- If the site has an OOC section, take a look. Tight knit communities often have this section active though others prefer Chat Box. Both will give you a hint on whether the community is active and welcoming and fits you or not.
- The IC section will show you what kind of role-players write there. Be sure to check out more threads [of course you don’t have to read it all] and make a diverse sample when choosing. Pick different characters, threads in different places… this will give you a chance to get to know the site better before join.
Note: Before making a character in case you’re uncertain how to fill the application or write a biography take a look at already approved characters.3. Ready? Go!
You joined, read everything you need [and even more], made a character… what now?
There are a number of ways to get into story and become member of a community. Here are some tips:
- If there is a plot page section, make one and check out pages already there. Be proactive! Don’t wait for players to come to you, go to them. You might easily find interesting characters to start threads with or plan plots. Never be afraid to leave a message or PM player about possible plot.
- Don’t just make your own threads. Try open ones! Beauty of open threads is in their randomness, the spontaneous that can happen when you join a character you didn’t think of. Anything can happen and that’s were opportunity for fun is.
- .Be open. Greet staff and members, start a conversation, play OOC games and get noticed. Also never be reluctant to ask for advice if you have problems or don’t understand something. Staff is there to help new members and often old members enjoy answering questions too.
As long as you’re proactive and have fun, everything else will slowly come to place. .