So I am guessing that everyone has seen the trailer by now for the new Star Trek movie which is due out around Christmas 2008. What I am wondering is how badly will Braga, Berman, et al... jack with one of my favorite genres THIS time? They have already demonstrated they have a reckless disregard for Trek storyline history in pursuit of cash, ratings and mass market appeal.
I don't know and cannot speak for others about Star Trek, but I would like very much for it not to have a mass market appeal. I liked it better when Trek was the place to be for the hip, the cool, and the way way insiders. I am old enough to have watched TOS when it first aired, So I count myself amongst a fortunate few. Even better, the local TV station ran TOS as filler on Sundays for almost six years. There are some TOS episodes I have seen at least four or five times.
All of the above makes me a little, well, possessive of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty... They are old friends whom I know very well. I am concerned the new movie will simply be another attempt to rearrange Trek history to make a pile of money. With little concern for the fan base.
Since humour is how I deal with stress and uncomfortable situations, I thought I would begin a list of things I'd like to see in the new Star Trek movie. So, here goes.
1) Rick Berman and Brannon Braga as Redshirt crewman in a landing party scene.
Ya gotta admit seeing these two buffoons die, even symbolically, would be very very satisfying.
2) The plot of the movie being about something other than a threat to Earth or a coup de etat by disgruntled StarFleet admirals. Enough already! No more conspiracy movies. Or whale probes.
3) The Enterprise being the biggest, baddest kid on the block and not being seriously challenged in that area by anyone.
4) NO MORE TIME TRAVEL! 'Nuff said.
5) NO MORE BORG STORIES BEFORE THERE WERE BORG. Also, 'Nuff said.
6) Female crew members in go-go boots and mini skirts. Aaah, nostalgia!
7) Female characters in some of the outfits they wore on TOS. Sorry, couldn't stop myself.
8) A good old fashioned fist fight in a bar because someone insulted Enterprise in front of the Chief Engineer.
9) No one and nothing named "Crusher" anywhere is sight for the whole movie.
That is all I have for now. Feel free to add to this.
hmm I agree with everything you posted, to a T lol. honestly I have no idea how they are going to pull off this movie, especially since Kirk and Spock didnt actually meet till Kirk was assigned to the Enterprise (correct me if Im wrong)