InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to WAYWARD INK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Chapter 88: Shattered Bride
muffin-tacos
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 10:17 AM

Ridiculous Razmataz
Group Icon

Group: Scribes
Member No.: 4

WIDBODE: LIFE THROUGH A VAMPIRE’S EYES

CHAPTER EIGHTY-EIGHT:

Shattered Bride

The fight was over and Lola stood panting outside the smoking castle, holding an ashy stake in one hand and the remains of a chair (she had no memory of where or how she had got it) in the other. Staked and knocked out vampires lay strewn over the garden. The people that had been turned back and conscious were all huddled together in a small group by the Goth police cars. Cassandra helped people with burns and other serious injuries along with other medical professionals. Ovivil and her husband Mar were pouring drops of Vamp-D into the mouths of what they hoped were the unconscious vampires, who all turned back in to fleshies nearly immediately. Sage was helping the firemen (who somebody had miraculously called when the fire had started) put out the last of the flames.

But Lola wasn’t really concerned of what everybody else was doing -- she was scanning the grounds for Darsideria. She started panicking when she couldn’t find her. She had lost Darsideria inside, but before she had been swallowed by the fleeing crowd, she had told her to go on and that she would meet her outside. So why wasn’t she hear like she said she would be?

“Have you seen Darsy?” she asked several people over and over again but everyone shook their heads.

“Last time I saw her was when we were all inside the castle,” Sage said when she asked him but he was quite obviously distracted by the fire hoses.

Lola let out a frustrated “argh!” and stormed off to ask someone else.

Her heart was pounding in her chest so hard that she could feel the throbbing pulse in her neck. It felt strange being turned back again. It would take some getting used to after being a vampire for the last decade or so.

Just then Arabella came out of the castle, closely followed by Teyla. They both looked sooty and pale. Lola couldn’t help but notice that Teyla had tears in her eyes. She began to fear the worst.

“Where is she?” she shouted as she ran up the garden path to Teyla, shivering with fear and anxiety, “Where’s my Darsy?”

Teyla didn’t have to answer, she saw the answer in her eyes.

“N-no…” she said breathlessly, “No! I- I don’t believe it!”

“Oh, Lola!” Teyla cried and threw her arms around her neck. “I’m so sorry.”

Lola shrugged her off. She didn’t believe a word of this. Her Darsideria was inside. She was OK, of course she was OK. Darsy was strong. She could handle anything. Any time now they were all going to shout “April fools!” and they would laugh and Darsideria would come out of the castle, looking as pretty as she always did. Deep down inside Lola knew better, but she dared not believe it. It wasn’t the first of April, for one thing.

She ran up to the castle, and stepped inside with shaking hands. She barely had to look to find what Teyla had meant. A crowd of people were standing around something that was smoking. Something that looked like ashes… When she saw the grim reaper gliding amongst them, a hard lump formed in her throat. Tears pricked at her eyes. That had just confirmed everything.

user posted image

Lola pushed her way to the front of the crowd until she stood a couple of centimetres away from the ashes. She let out a little sniffle and blinked.
Her Darsideria was gone.

“No… No… It can’t be true!” she cried. “Darsy can’t be gone!”

There was more than one pile of smoking ashes lying there on the sooty stone floor. Others had died in the fire too…

Lola covered her face with her hands. She didn’t want anybody else to see her tears.

Somebody put a hand on her shoulder and a deep, hoarse voice said, “We think Rafael was one of them.”

Lola turned to look at the stranger and saw that it was Gray, in the flesh. She was too upset to think him of talking to her as odd.

“Lola, I’m so so sorry…”

“Shut up!” Lola screamed, voice raw with emotion and unstable, “Shut up! Piss off, Gray. Just leave me alone!”

When he did not leave, she slapped him hard across the face. Gray looked shocked and hurt. He put a hand on his cheek where she had slapped him. It looked raw and red.

“I was just -” he began, but she stormed away unable to stand any more of this.
She needed to get out of this horrible, horrible place. She just wanted to forget everything that had happened, close her eyes and wake up to find that it had all been a dream. A terrible nightmare, and Darsideria would be there at her side when she woke up to comfort her.

Sunlight peered over the clouds when she came outside and Lola automatically jumped and covered her face with her hands to shield herself from the sun. But then she remembered that she was not a vampire anymore and felt stupid.

Teyla spotted her, rushed over to her and put her arms around her again without saying a word.

It was only after a while that she spoke.

“I’m so sorry, Lola,” she sobbed on her shoulder, “they took my mother, too.”

It felt like a huge weight was lying in the pit of her stomach. Lola’s heart ached. Darsideria, her bride to be, was gone. She would never get to see that wonderful, happy face ever again:

user posted image

She and Teyla stood there for a long time, crying long and hard for their losses, holding each other tightly.

It was over. The fight was won, the vampires were out of Widbode. They were free but they had lost too much to even feel the slightest bit happy.

The same question whirled around and round in Lola’s head: Was it all worth it? And she would ask herself that for a long time to come…

There was a happy shriek in the background, as Arabella was finally reunited with her husband. She flung herself into Waswauld’s open arms.

“You did it, Lovely!” he cheered, swinging her around in the air. “You helped rid Widbode of the vampires! I didn’t think that you could do it, but you proved me wrong -- as always.”

Arabella didn’t answer. She was too busy crying tears of joy for being held in her husband’s arms again, but at the same time tears of sorrow for Teyla and Lola Lurraxol’s terrible losses.

>> Next Chapter
muffin-tacos
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 10:21 AM

Ridiculous Razmataz
Group Icon

I'll be posting some overall pics of the party in the next chapter (some that were supposed to go with this chapter but just didn't fit in to what I was writing in the end). Anyhoo, I'm going to post them all with the next chapter because I don't want the moment to be destroyed by funny party pictures.

--------------------
user posted image
"I am not afraid... I was born to do this" -- Joan of Arc
Sacharissa
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 11:04 AM

Ghostwriter
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

Oh! That is so sad! Poor Lola! And very well done, Muffin!

--------------------

Current Quote
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather...
Not screaming in fear, like his passengers.

~ Anonymous ~
Lynet
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 09:50 PM

Where you at, Hon?
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Very well done. I agree. I'm sure it was difficult to write that chapter, too, because you had so much fun with those two characters.

--------------------
The Return of Pharaoh Farrow He's human, but he's not from around here.

Andromeda Rose The mystery of the frozen planet

Catch the Wings of Morning Just pictures
Surprised_by_Witches
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 11:12 PM

Legendary Librarian
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I'm mad at you. May not speak to you for at least, oh, an hour.

I LIKED Darsy. sad.gif

But I somehow think Rafael may not really be dead.

--------------------
muffin-tacos
Posted: Jan 15 2008, 08:07 AM

Ridiculous Razmataz
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lynet @ Jan 15 2008, 04:50 AM)
I'm sure it was difficult to write that chapter, too, because you had so much fun with those two characters.

Yes it was very hard. Darsy was my favourite of the two and it was just so sad to see Lola crying... sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
"I am not afraid... I was born to do this" -- Joan of Arc
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Widbode: Life Through a Vampire's Eyes | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0833 seconds | Archive