InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to WAYWARD INK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Chapter 06: Press Conference
Surprised_by_Witches
Posted: Dec 13 2008, 05:16 AM

Legendary Librarian
Group Icon

Group: Scribes
Member No.: 2

"Thank you all for coming," Connor said to the assembled reporters. Logan and Kat stood behind him at the podium. "I'd like to make a brief statement and then I'd be happy to take your questions.

"Yes, I invited my parents to my wedding last night. And yes, I knew they were vampires. They've committed no crime and I felt it was my duty, as a good son, to protect them from those who might wish them harm.

"Yellow journalism aside, Miss Fenwick grossly distorts the facts in her story. She attacked a guest at my wedding when he tried to retrieve her camera. He was not trying to harm her in any way, and we will be investigating her use of unnecessary force. She did not use pepper spray. She used witchcraft. My friend is in serious condition this morning because he was trying to protect my privacy.

"I take my new position as police liaison very seriously. I believe everyone, whether human, vampire, werewolf, fairy, or witch, is innocent until proven guilty. I will investigate anyone, regardless of who they are, if evidence shows they may have committed a crime. But I will not stand for unprovoked attacks when they have done nothing wrong. Demelza Fenwick committed a crime last night by using unnecessary force on a citizen of Veronaville. She will be investigated, and I hope, brought to justice. I will take your questions now. Yes."

"You don't honestly expect us to wait and see if a vampire is going to attack us or not, do you?" asked a man in the front row, and a bunch of other people murmured agreement.

"I ask that you assess the situation, yes," Connor said. Above angry murmurs he added, "Let me finish. Just as with any behavior, from anyone, I would expect you to use your best judgment. If a vampire appears to be stalking you or following you, call the police right away. If he's just walking down the street, minding his own business, I'd advise you to mind yours."

"So, you want us all to make friends with the nice vampires?" a woman asked with a sneer.

"You can feel however you wish about them," Connor said, "that isn't my concern. What is my concern is that every citizen of this city is equally protected by the law. If a vampire commits a crime they will be prosecuted, the same as anyone else."

"You mean when," said an angry voice.

"I don't expect change to happen overnight," Connor said. "And I agree that most vampires are dangerous--"

"Unless they're related to you, you mean," someone said.

"My parents have taken a vow to eat only deer. And given the lack of other predators in the area that's a good thing for managing the herds as well. My friend who was injured also only preys on animals. Vampires who continue to feed on humans without their consent will be stopped."

"Thank you for your time today," Logan said, stepping forward. "I believe Mr. Patrick has a plane to catch."

"Do you agree with what he said?" someone asked the prince.

"I believe hatred and misconceptions have kept this town in a constant state of fear and violence for much too long," the prince said. "Starting with the feud between the Capps and the Montys, through the vampire wars, to the damage done by my predecessor. I want Veronaville to be a place of peace and harmony, and this will not happen by continuing to persecute those who cannot help what they are.

"Innocent until proven guilty," he said. "No matter who you are. I believe that is the only way to achieve peace and prosperity for us all."

Next Chapter

--------------------
Sacharissa
Posted: Dec 17 2008, 09:36 PM

Ghostwriter
Group Icon

Group: Scribes
Member No.: 8

Good answer! I like this new prince!

--------------------

Current Quote
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather...
Not screaming in fear, like his passengers.

~ Anonymous ~
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Veronaville #7a: Love and Loyalty | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3752 seconds | Archive