Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to WAYWARD INK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Chapter 19: The Pleasantview Orphanage
Lynet
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 07:12 PM

Where you at, Hon?
Group Icon

Group: Scribes
Member No.: 3

Constance Olivier looked up from her book. It was almost 4 PM. Her guest, the always punctual Twyla Crumplebottom, would be arriving at any moment. Constance sighed as she closed the book on her lap and thought about her old friend. She and Twyla had known each other since they met as children in this very same orphanage, many, many years ago.

It had been such a gloomy place then, as run by the formidable Miss Booth, with dark curtains in all the windows and heavily waxed oak floors reflecting the light of an occasional table lamp. All the children wore uniforms, regardless of age. The girls wore starched black jumpers; the boys had black corduroy knee pants.

Constance shook her head over the memories. Since becoming headmistress, she had gotten rid of those heavy drapes, with the result that the place was filled with light. Then, with grants of money from the city, she had renovated the entire building, had bought toys and swing sets for the children, and had even put in a pool. The orphans now wore brightly colored clothes and attended the same school down the road where all the other Pleasantview children went. Her kids now had everything all those children had. Except parents. Of course, that was a very serious exception. All her days--now that the orphanage building was in good repair--were devoted to getting her kids adopted into real families.

user posted image

But dwelling on the past, whether distant or recent, achieved nothing. She had to concentrate on the chore for this evening, the chore set for her by the mayor of Pleasantview, which was to keep Twyla Crumplebottom out of trouble tonight. What about the committee meeting? Do not worry about that, the mayor advised her. It will be cancelled.

Well, thought Constance, that is certainly not going to improve Twyla’s mood. Her friend set great store by those committees of hers. And Constance certainly could not complain. The orphanage had a beautiful library now, thanks to one of Twyla’s committees.

It was understandable that the mayor had called her with this problem. Everyone believed that Constance and Twyla were good friends. Friends, yes, but only to a certain degree. No one was really good friends with Twyla. There is a comfort level that friendship implies, a comfort level that could not be achieved with Twyla. If Constance were forced to use one word and only one word to describe Twyla, she would have to say ‘cold.’ Twyla had always been that way, even as a child.

However, in spite of that, Constance Olivier had only kind thoughts for the icy Mrs. Crumplebottom. She recognized that Twyla had had a profound effect on her, that the Widow Crumplebottom was the single biggest reason behind her efforts to wrap these orphans in sunshine, and to inspire warmth in their hearts toward others. Constance wanted to save them from Twyla’s friendless fate.

She took a deep breath and glanced out the window of her office. It was on the first floor and had a view of the front yard, the playground, and the sidewalk leading to the main entrance.

And there was Twyla, stomping purposefully up the walk.

user posted image

Uh oh, thought Constance. She already knows that her meeting has been cancelled. I think I will just sit right here thinking positive thoughts about her, and let Jackson get the door and show her in.

Next chapter

--------------------
The Return of Pharaoh Farrow He's human, but he's not from around here.

Andromeda Rose The mystery of the frozen planet

Catch the Wings of Morning Just pictures
Lynet
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:53 PM

Where you at, Hon?
Group Icon

Just thought I'd add a picture of the orphanage.

user posted image

--------------------

muffin-tacos
Posted: Feb 23 2010, 11:43 AM

Ridiculous Razmataz
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I think I will just sit right here thinking positive thoughts about her, and let Jackson get the door and show her in.

Smart move. laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
"I am not afraid... I was born to do this" -- Joan of Arc
Lynet
Posted: Feb 23 2010, 04:50 PM

Where you at, Hon?
Group Icon

Just realized I had to fix another hotlinks picture. smile.gif

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | A Masterpiece of Nature | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2052 seconds | Archive