InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Hey there, and welcome to Shady Grove, California--home of Shady Grove Academy for the Advanced and the Fightin' Squirrels! Why don't you hang out a while, take a look around, and acquaint yourself with some of our friendly students, staff, and town residents? 'smile.gif'

Name:   Password:

Plot/Setting Info

Welcome to Shady Grove Academy, home of the Fightin' Squirrels!

We are a private boarding school for the supernaturally gifted located in Shady Grove, CA, outside of San Francisco, near Walnut Creek.

We are currently accepting applications for students, staff, professors and residents, so jump on in and explore our world! We'd recommend taking a look in the Student Handbook first! ^_^

Quick Log In:

Admins

Headmaster Rory Dawson
(Earth Science/Astronomy)
Played By: Ems
Ems also plays: William Harrington, Carrie Monroe, Colton Grey and Lenora "Peaches" Murdoch

DH Grace deWitt
(Home Ec.)
Played By: Emmy
Emmy also plays: Emory Sayre, Sam McLean, Mike Oh and Connor Jackson

Global Mods
Professor Emilia Devereux
(French/Spanish)
Played By: Lil
Lil also plays: Persephone St.Clair, Jonathan Porter,Cassandra St.Clair

Professor Gerard Calgary
(Biology)
Played By: Teague
Teague also plays: Raider Hall and Kurtis Ferguson

Chat

Please refrain from advertising here. It's really friggin' annoying.

Affiliates

City Of Angels
Bitter Charlie
RPG-D
VOTE FOR US!
RPGD CATEGORY :: FANTASY

Credits

The Fightin' Squirrels skin was custom coded for SGA by Ems. All site graphics are also by Ems.

The writing on this site is property of its author and if you can't figure out that stealing is wrong, gtfo the internet.

Updates

April 21st, 2011

Who's got huge announcements? WE DO! Go check the notice board for a full update about advancement and what's going down on June 1st.

April 1st, 2011

The Founders Day Festival is officially open! While the actual event isn't until the weened of the 15th, the forum will be open and usable for the entire month of April. Make sure to have fun and check the Festival schedule for event times and days.

March 28, 2011

Check out the new News Sources forum under Communications! Check back for news relating to gifted society in the US--and to follow Darwin's investigation into what, exactly, causes gifts.

And don't forget to check out the new forums and the new usergroup!

Update:March 5th, 2011:

New layout, new graphics, new groups and tons of new things to do. Check out the extended announcement here for a full rundown of the new forums and Resident groups.

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add Reply|New Topic|New Poll

The Dust Of Everyday Life, Open!
Tessa Brennan
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 04:33 PM

Self-duplication
Group Icon

Group: Sophomores
Member No.: 89

After classes were over for the afternoon, Tessa returned to her room. She didn’t have much homework and decided to put it off until later that night. Concentrating today had been a bit hard for her and she needed something to reign in the focus. So, she picked up her cello and wheeled it on over to the Fine Arts Center. Usually, Tessa could count on two things to calm herself down: writing and the cello. She had no words for what she was feeling today, so the cello was her first choice. Music allowed Tess to relax and let go of all emotion. She released it into the instrument, loving the deep sounds of the cello. It could always be counted on to make her feel better.

When she was younger, she would play anytime Allison was in the hospital and she had to stay behind for school. She would play for Allison, to make her feel better; to help her sleep. She played for her mother to calm her down. She played for her father to lower his stress. The lessons stopped once Allison had died, but after awhile, Tess found her way back to the instrument. It comforted her when nothing else did. Sometimes Allison would appear when Tess was playing, though now she knew it was just a clone. Still, it comforted her to think that her sister was nearby.

Finally, Tessa made it to the building and nestled up in one of the practice rooms. She didn’t have any music with her, but that was alright. She didn’t any music for what she was doing. Tess was quite good with memorization and it had been drilled into her head. She could recall dozens of songs without any problem and when she forgot parts, she just filled them in on her own.

Sitting down, Tess pulled her cello out of its case and slowly began to play. She had intended to play something upbeat, but instead a movement from the second of Bach’s cello suites, the Sarabande, came out instead. Closing her eyes, Tessa just let the melancholy melody pour out.

--------------------
by Jayce! <3

user posted image
Sometimes I fear that I might disappear
In the blur of fast forward I falter again
Forgetting to breathe, I need to sleep, I'm getting nowhere
PM
^^
Mike Oh
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 05:01 PM

Intangibility(Phasing)
Group Icon

Member No.: 20

Mike rarely wrote in his room; he could never seem to concentrate when he was surrounded by stuff, and then he usually needed to be alone. He liked his roommate well enough, but Mike was pretty bad company when he was trying to get a story out. Thus, he'd developed a habit of going elsewhere when the muse started to sing, as his mother liked to put it.

Normally he'd go to the library, but lately even that had felt overcrowded--like the words in all the books around him were closing him in. That, and really... it was just a little daunting to put his own words down while surrounded by those of the masters. How could Mike ever hope to compete with any of these geniuses? How could he hope to deserve a place on a library shelf beside them? It made him feel claustrophobic, and made the palm of his right hand itch when he tried to write. Not exactly conducive to creativity.

So, for the past week or so, he'd been heading over to the Keller Center and finding some corner to tuck himself into, usually one of the empty practice rooms. They were free of distraction, he could flip down one of the stands to use as a desk, and it was usually pretty quiet, since he tried not to show up during rehearsal times. All he could hear were the occasional voices of student musicians and every once in a while, a music lesson.

Today it was quiet, though and Mike was deep into his writing, in that place where the only sensory input in the world that existed was the scratching of his pen on the paper and the light illuminating his scrawled words. It took a few minutes for the sound of music to filter into his consciousness, and when it did, he looked up, blinking. Whoever was playing was good... very good. The walls in the practice rooms dampened the sound, though, and Mike found himself putting his pen down and slipping out of the practice room, inching down the hall towards the source of the sound.

He stopped outside the door of the practice room and leaned against the wall, watching the girl play her cello for a few moments before closing his eyes, folding his arms across his chest, and letting his head fall against the doorframe. He'd just listen... surely she wouldn't mind, right? He'd just stay for the one song, then go back to his writing.
^^
Tessa Brennan
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 07:41 PM

Self-duplication
Group Icon

Tessa finished the end of the second movement and instinctively went into the beginning of the third. It was a contrast from the end of the second, but it didn’t feel that way to her. She played it with fingers just as light as the last movement, deeply absorbed. The girl’s eyes didn’t open for a single moment. She was completely absorbed in her work, the bow gliding effortlessly across the strings. There wasn’t a single second where she hesitated. For a cellist not to know every part of Bach’s cello suites was akin to blasphemy. Once she had mastered the basics, she began her work on the suites. Tessa had the entire work memorized for years.

Once she finished the next movement, Tessa would have continued straight on without stopping had she not opened her eyes at that point. Through the glass pane in the door, she noticed a figure leaning against the wall. At first, Tessa would have said that he was watching her, but she quickly noticed that his eyes were closed. He was listening to her. Briefly she wondered how long he had been there, but knew it couldn’t have been that long since she had only made her way through a few pieces. Normally, Tess might have been disturbed to find someone standing out there like that, but this was different. This was music. He was allowed to stand there if he was appreciating the music, as it was so clear that he was.

She had stopped long enough that she began to wonder if he was actually asleep. Perhaps he wasn’t enjoying her music that much at all. Not really wanting to get up, for opening the door would probably cause him to fall in, Tess slowly moved her bow back over the strings of her instrument. She played the first thing that came to mind that would sound as different as possible: the theme from Jaws. Everyone knew it, those two simple notes. If he didn’t notice that, then Tess would be sure that he was sleeping. She kept playing, staring at him, waiting for a sign of life.

When he finally did open his eyes, Tessa gave him a smile and put down her bow, indicating that he might as well come in. She still wanted to know if he was listening or just sleeping. It might also be nice to know his name.

--------------------
by Jayce! <3

user posted image
PM
^^
Mike Oh
Posted: Jan 30 2011, 02:12 PM

Intangibility(Phasing)
Group Icon

A smile touched his lips, curving them ever so slightly, as the song changed into a more sprightly melody--a change in movement, perhaps? There was enough of a similarity to the first that he didn't think it was a totally different piece... then again, Mike wasn't a musician himself. He'd tried to learn the violin in grade school and had failed dismally. No, he was an appreciator, not a musician in his own right, though he had studied some classical music at a theoretical level for a short story about a violist in the 18th century (which he'd never actually finished... he probably should).

The silence after she finished was pregnant with the ghosts of notes, Mike inhaled deeply, assuming that she was looking for more sheet music or something of the like. He didn't open his eyes until he heard that tell-tale half-step cadence. Duuu-nuh. Duuu-nuh. Du-nuh-du-nuh-du-nuh...

Jaws? Really? His dark eyes opened only to find her looking straight at him. Oh, well. Looked like he'd been found out... the faintest flush colored his otherwise fair cheeks, and he straightened, about to head back to his practice room, but a moment later she laid aside her bow and smiled at him. An invitation? Well... perhaps. Worse comes to worst, she'd tell him to bug off, and it wasn't like he'd never heard that before.

Pushing open the door tentatively, he stood in the frame, not wanting to intrude further on the already small space. "Sorry, I just... I couldn't hear you that well from the other practice room, so I..." he shifted, his expression becoming more curious. "Baroque? I mean--it was so structured, and the melody was so ornate..." And now he was sounding like the geek he really was at heart. Still, he couldn't help but be curious; that, and he wanted to know if he was still able to identify the style of music, though he wasn't good enough to guess the composer without knowing the piece, and that one he couldn't remember having heard before. "Obviously I mean the first two, not John Williams."
^^
Tessa Brennan
Posted: Jan 30 2011, 07:27 PM

Self-duplication
Group Icon

So he was listening after all. Tessa noticed the faint blush, but failed to remark upon it. She wasn’t going to yell at him, if that’s what he thought. The girl liked people who appreciated music. She liked him even more the instant he said that he couldn’t hear her from the other practice room. That meant he had moved to listen. Tessa gave him a slight smile that widened as he asked if it was Baroque. She nodded, that smile turning into a slight laugh when he referenced John Williams.

“Sorry about that,” she replied. “I hope it didn’t ruin the listening experience. I was just concerned that you might be sleeping. I didn’t want you to fall over or anything.” And waking him up by playing Jaws was just the way to prevent that. Tessa smiled inwardly at that, hoping that he wasn’t too bothered by her interruption. She could tell now that he actually had been enjoying it and felt a little bad for stopping.

“And yes,” she answered his previous question. “Bach. It’s from the second of his cello suites. You’ve probably heard the prelude of the first suite; it’s like the most well known piece ever.” Tessa was unsure why she was talking so much. Normally she would never say so much, especially during her first conversation with a person. Perhaps because the subject was something that was dear to her and it didn’t really matter who she was talking to about. She would always have plenty to say.

Remembering what he had said earlier about being in a practice room and his knowledge about music led her to ask: “Do you play something?” It couldn’t be the cello since he didn’t know the suites, but it was probably something. Then, realizing that she had yet to learn his name and certainly didn’t introduce herself, Tess added, “I’m Tessa by the way.”

--------------------
by Jayce! <3

user posted image
PM
^^
Mike Oh
Posted: Feb 1 2011, 06:33 PM

Intangibility(Phasing)
Group Icon

Mike's lips widened ever so slightly into a smile as she laughed at his lame Jaws joke. That at least was a good sign that he wasn't misinterpreting her invitation for him to join her. "I think I almost was... or in a trance, anyway," he said, lips twitching a little and eyes warming. He'd always found music to be somewhat mood-altering, and her performance had been no different; where minutes ago he'd been feverishly and somewhat obsessively writing away, now he felt as calm as if he'd been meditating for the last hour.

"Ah, right... the one Yo-Yo Ma plays all the time, right?" he asked, then sang the first few measures in a low voice, mimicking the articulation with his tongue against the back of his teeth. He had a good voice, but wasn't terribly confident about his singing--though hopefully choir would change that.

Oh... right. Saying he was in one of the other practice rooms would lead any sensible human being to assume he was, you know, actually practicing. "Other than chess and an occasional video game?" he said with the same quiet half-smile. "No... I come down here to write. The atmosphere's nice. Usually it's quiet, and most of the time when something interrupts the quiet it's something nice..." Like her cello playing. "Nice to meet you, Tessa... I'm Mike. Mike Oh. You're a sophomore, right? I think we're in European History together..."
^^
Tessa Brennan
Posted: Feb 3 2011, 07:26 PM

Self-duplication
Group Icon

Tessa understood what he meant when he said he was in a trance. That was how she got when she played. It was like she forgot the rest of the world around her and was completely absorbed in the music. When she played, there was nothing else. Anything that was on her mind faded away and she simply became a part of the music. If that could happen to her when she was playing, she understood how that could happen to him when he was listening. Tess took it as a compliment. Bad musicians didn’t get people to go into a trance with their playing.

“That’s the one,” she replied after he sang the first few measures. She found herself thinking that he had a nice voice. So when he said the only things he played were chess and video games it made sense. He sang. So, that was where he got his musical knowledge from. And probably just because he liked it too. Tessa gave him a shy smile when he actually complimented her playing. Well, she was sure that’s what he meant. “Thank you,” she said softly.

When he introduced himself, Tessa remembered where she had seen him before. Then, she promptly felt bad for not knowing him already. Then again, she wasn’t the most outgoing of people. Even though they were in the same class she wouldn’t have talked to him unless she needed to.

“Nice to meet you too, Mike,” the girl automatically responded. “And yeah, I’m a sophomore. You are too, right? I thought I recognized you from somewhere. What do you think of the class?” Tessa rather liked it though she felt bad for Professor Heo sometimes. She had new teacher syndrome.

--------------------
by Jayce! <3

user posted image
PM
^^
Mike Oh
Posted: Feb 9 2011, 03:23 PM

Intangibility(Phasing)
Group Icon

Oh, good; he'd been right. He was even more relieved, though, to know that what he'd been humming had been comprehensible, since usually he sang along with music. He wasn't so good at the acapella stuff. Ahwell... maybe choir would change that. "I guess it's pretty cliched to say that I like that one, huh?" he said, smiling a little. "Sort of like suggesting Pachelbel's Canon in D for a wedding... it's just what everyone does. But I do like it..."

Vaguely he wondered if she knew how to play it; well, that was stupid. Since she'd been playing the other two, lesser-known movements from memory, he'd say it was a pretty safe bet that she knew the famous one. His own smile widened a little as she smiled at him, thanking him for the compliment, and he shrugged one shoulder nonchalantly. "It's just the truth," he said, blunt and honest as ever.

"Yeah. Two and a half years left before real life begins," he said with a small, almost unvoiced chuckle, the laugh coming out more as an amused huff than anything. Hmm... what did he think of Professor Heo? That she was pretty, one, but then again Mike was at that age where any vaguely attractive female was automatically one he wanted to ogle, though he at least had some success in not actually doing so. Damn hormones. "I think she seems nice enough... kind of nervous. I thought she was a student at first," he admitted. "I mean, I know we tend to look kind of young sometimes," he added, obviously referring to his and the professor's shared Asian ethnicities, "but she's... so small."
^^
Tessa Brennan
Posted: Feb 15 2011, 12:41 PM

Self-duplication
Group Icon

“It’s a lovely piece,” Tessa agreed. She liked it too. It wasn’t her favorite of Bach’s cello suite, but it was up there. And it had been one of the very first solo pieces she had learned to play that wasn’t simply from a book. So, to say she was a bit attached to it was an understatement. She had grown up playing it and still didn’t feel like she had perfected it. That was what was beautiful about Bach. Even with one of the the most well known cello pieces, there was always something new to discover about it. Each cellist played it a little bit differently which was what made it great.

“I don’t really think it’s clichéd to say you like it at all. There are plenty of people out there who don’t like Bach—or anything classical for that matter—at all. So, really, if you look at it that way, it’s perfectly alright to say that you like it. Anything written by Bach or Beethoven is way better than most of the stuff out there today.” And she could even go into the merits of the Canon in D for a wedding. The tempo was just perfect and the harmonies…well, that was probably not something he cared to hear about.

Tessa smiled slightly at his statement. For her, real life already had begun and a long time ago at that. This was simply a small diversion. Sometimes the carelessness of the other students at the school shocked the girl. She was beyond understanding the nuances of innocent youth anymore. Rather than comment on that, the girl let it slide, more than happy to talk about their shared professor. “I thought the same thing too. She’s awfully shy. I feel bad for her sometimes, but I think she’ll get better. The class is interesting anyway.”

--------------------
by Jayce! <3

user posted image
PM
^^
Mike Oh
Posted: Feb 23 2011, 06:42 PM

Intangibility(Phasing)
Group Icon

He gave her a little smile, tossing his head a little to get his hair out of his face. No doubt his mom would've said that he needed a haircut, and his dad would probably say he looked like a hooligan. His stepdad would probably just wink at him behind their backs, and who knew what his stepsister would say--probably that he looked like an Asian Justin Bieber, if his mom's comments about her Bieber fever were true. ...Maybe he should cut his hair.

"That's true," he said. "At least, most of the stuff on the radio... there are a lot of good bands out there. Nothing at the same level as Bach or Beethoven, yeah, but..." He shrugged. As much as he liked them, talking about bands like Angels & Airwaves and Weezer and Guster just... didn't seem to fit when they'd just been talking about Pachelbel and Bach. Though there was one band... "Are you into the, uh, the post-rock scene at all? You might like Mogwai, or Sigur Ros... they're sort of today's classical."

She had a pretty smile. Tessa. He'd remember that name. Not like he didn't try to remember the name of every pretty girl he met... but hey, he was a teenage boy. He tried to live up to expectations. And there was more than one reason to remember hers, if she could play the cello like that. "Yeah. I like history. I just hope the other students don't, y'know, try to take advantage of how new she is." Not that he'd let them. He was no knight in shining armor, but he did have a respect for his elders and authority, instilled in him (after much difficulty) by his father--besides, Professor Heo was a pretty girl, too, even if a slightly older one, and it made him a little uncomfortable to see pretty girls being used.

"Do you, uh, need to get back to your practice? I didn't mean to interrupt, really..." Though part of him hoped she'd invite him to stay and chat, or something. He wasn't the best at initiating conversations, and so far it had led to a relatively lonesome year and a half at Shady Grove.
^^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Add Reply|New Topic|New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2707 seconds | Archive