View Full Version: Roll the Dice (d8 Redux!)

The Brave Combination > Games! > Roll the Dice (d8 Redux!)

Pages: [1] 2

Title: Roll the Dice (d8 Redux!)
Description: Experimental Game


Masterly - September 12, 2010 04:02 AM (GMT)
This is going to be like the other Roll the Dice game but a bit more structured and serious. You choose actions for your character and I roll a die to determine the success of the action. Unlike the d6 version however, this game will have a teensy bit more plot.

First one to see this post (and calling dibs) can be the protagonist.

Name: Obvious.
Race: Choose something fantasy-ish. Protagonist must be humanoid though. Your race determines your racial skill.
Gender: Also obvious.
Items: Pick three.
Skill: Pick three of these. You receive a bonus to checks when performing something related to this action. Choose one to be skilled (+2) at and two to be novices (+1) at. One of these 3 skills must be a combat skill of some sort.

Because this uses a d8 there are a few more outcomes.

[1] Critical Failure - You manage to make the situation worse. Way to go hero.
[2] Ineffective - You failed to achieve anything, you suck.
[3] Ineffective - You failed to achieve anything, you suck.
[4] Meager Success - You actually managed to accomplish something, too bad it was only marginal.
[5] Mediocre Success - Your action was pretty worthwhile, but nothing to write home about.
[6] Success - Sufficient, go you.
[7] Great Success - By a combination of luck and skill you are able to push past the obstacle.
[8] Overshot - Self-explanatory. You can only achieve this unmodified. A 7+1 automatically caps at 7. You can only overshoot skills that you are skilled in.

====
Skill Levels
====
Novice (+1) - You have enough training in this not to make an ass out of yourself. Your d8 rolls cap at [5].
Skilled (+2) - The time you've spent working on this has proved that it was most definitely NOT a waste of time (Shut up Dad!). Your d8 rolls cap at [6].
Master (+3) - In your face dad. Your d8 rolls cap at [7]

====
Notes
====
This was inspired by the other 'Roll the Dice' thread. It's experimental so if you notice something off just tell me so that I can adjust it.

Vuanaunt - September 12, 2010 05:10 AM (GMT)
Name: Cerise
Race: Fairy.
Gender: ♀
Items: Fairy clothes, children, powdered Hope, some one's voice, bottled fear.


Skilled: Charms, as mind tricks and fairy magic. Based off the traditional views of fairys.
Novice: Persuasion.
Novice: Fire Magic.


Racial: Novice: Illusions.

Masterly - September 12, 2010 05:17 AM (GMT)
QUOTE (Vuanaunt @ Sep 11 2010, 09:10 PM)
Name: Cerise
Race: Fairy.
Gender: ♀
Items: Fairy clothes, children, Powdered Hope, Some one's voice, bottled fear.


Skilled: Charms, as mind tricks and fairy magic. Based off the traditional views of fairys.
Novice: Persuasion.
Novice: Fire Magic.

> Fairies are also naturally talented with Illusions. Gain Novice Illusions.

HaloKirby9 - September 12, 2010 07:37 PM (GMT)
Name: Altern
Race: Gnome
Gender: Male
Items: Small leather clothes, goggles, and a large knife.

Skilled: Object-throwing
Novice: Sneaking.
Novice: Making things.


Racial: Novice: Hard to hit (They're small)

Vuanaunt - September 12, 2010 09:09 PM (GMT)
QUOTE (HaloKirby9 @ Sep 12 2010, 03:37 PM)
Racial: Novice: Hard to hit (They're small)

(I'm under the impression Masterly decides the racial skills.)



Edit: I really don't know.



Ignore me.

Masterly - September 12, 2010 09:19 PM (GMT)
QUOTE (HaloKirby9 @ Sep 12 2010, 11:37 AM)
Name: Altern
Race: Gnome
Gender: Male
Items: Small leather clothes, goggles, and a large knife.

Skilled: Object-throwing
Novice: Sneaking.
Novice: Making things.


Racial: Novice: Hard to hit (They're small)

> Making things is their Racial but because you already have that you instead get Novice Dodge: -1 to anybody targeting you.

I'll make a post later today. Or tommorow.

Masterly - September 15, 2010 03:00 AM (GMT)
In the lands somewhere to the south some people say that the forests are alive. These people are considered ignorant hicks because everybody knows there are creatures in the forest. But to what extent nobody is sure. Many tall tales come into town, and all of them are along the lines of 'something in the forest is watching me' Deciding whether the eyes are malicious or not is really in the eye of the beholder. Or should I say eye of the beholded...

Within the deepest thickets of brush lies a civilization of sorts. Little spritelings, who look like children more often than naught prance about with their fairy companions. All except one. Because this gnome does not have a fairy(That's your cue Vua, why are you heading to this gnome?).

((Nyohohoho, I went there.))

Vuanaunt - September 15, 2010 04:11 AM (GMT)
"Hey listen! Gnome-man, The Great Dakka Tree is dying, and sent me to look for a hero that will "Save the land from evil"... whatever that means.

You wouldn't happen to know any saps stu...


Say... what are your feelings on fame and glory?"

HaloKirby9 - September 15, 2010 05:52 AM (GMT)
"Umm...I really don't know. I kinda just hang out by myself. Maybe somebody else...?

Vuanaunt - September 15, 2010 04:19 PM (GMT)
"Well alright, I'm not going to force you to do anything. I'll just leave you to... whatever boring things you do. Be sure to enjoy them while you can, because without a hero life as we know it will probably end*.


Anyways, if you see anyone who likes fame, glory, and possibly riches; send them my way. It doesn't have to even have to be anyone special, I would even do it^ if it I weren't... well tiny and frail. Anyways, I'm Cerise and please send any would-be heroes my way."

Cerise flies out his window, uses a charm to try to instill hero complex in this gnome, and waits a couple of minutes hidden on his roof.



*Overstatement
^Lie

HaloKirby9 - September 15, 2010 10:45 PM (GMT)
"That was weird. ...Maybe I could...no. He'll probably go for someone like Darius. Oh well.

Altern starts tinkering with a few spare parts to busy his hands, taking his mind away from the passed opportunity.

Masterly - September 15, 2010 11:41 PM (GMT)
Charm - [4]+2: Cerise lands the charm successfully and suddenly bitter images of Darius donning a majestic cloak fill Altern's mind. Getting all the female gnomes no less. Maybe it's your turn, your whole life you've let things pass right by you but if you're ever going to change this is your chance.

Tinker - [3]+1: Altern idly tinkers with the items he has on hand and before he knows it a shitty knife is created. Doesn't look all that great but it's something at least.

Altern gain shitty knife.

Shitty Knife - D-rank Item
Combat - +1
Durability - 3/4
Notes: On it's last use the knife has no combat bonus but will still work.

Vuanaunt - September 16, 2010 12:28 AM (GMT)
Cerise (eavesdropping) overhears "...He'll probably go for someone like Darius..."

!

He'll!?

Was her feminine charm not apparent? Her smooth voice? At the very least, couldn't you tell just by looking at her? If this actually accepts the invitation, he'll pay for that... subtly.

[Mood ->Depressed/bitter]
[Disposition -> Passive aggressive]

She keeps the name "Darius" (or her mind "plan C") in her head, but decides to putter about for a couple minutes, waiting to see if that charm was enough to convince this guy.



:P Halokirby
Out of Character: I'm not really mad or anything, but I just felt like playing a different character. If she ever gets painfully shallow or bitter, just give me a heads up and I'll tone it down.

Also, the symbol of Venus ♀ stands for women, and the symbol for Mars ♂ stands for men.

HaloKirby9 - September 16, 2010 03:42 AM (GMT)
Altern had just finished his tinkering when an image suddenly appeared in his head: Darius, wearing a majestic, flowing cloak.

"That sonovabitch! Always impressing all the ladies, getting all the fame. He doesn't even invent that well. He may as well be a dwarf! When anything goes wrong, it's always 'Altern this and Altern that' And what do I get. A quiet thanks and a pat on the back. But not anymore! I'll find that fairy and show him that I'm the gnome for the job!"

As he left his small abode with the few objects he had, Altern felt a chill down his spine. "This is gonna be a long trip."



I know what the symbols mean, I just forgot =P. Oh well, I just play it off for humor. And don't worry. I don't think it'll get that bad.

Vuanaunt - September 17, 2010 12:39 AM (GMT)
Cerise grinned as she saw this gnome walk off in the general direction of The Great Dakka Tree. Mission accomplished!

[Great Dakka Tree Disposition: Great respect.]


...but the GDT assigned Cerise this task itself. She should at least she him to The Tree herself. Approaching the Gnome, she put on a fake smile and greeted him, "Oh hey, did you change your mind? That's great! ...And I see you already have a 'sword', way to be prepared."


Now hopefully they would arrive shortly without being distracted by any tutorial side-quests.

HaloKirby9 - September 17, 2010 06:21 PM (GMT)
"Yeah. Hopefully I'll pick up something usable incase things get hairy. So, how is the Great Dakka Tree dying?"

Masterly - September 17, 2010 11:06 PM (GMT)
Before Cerise can say anything the screen fades to black and a cutscene begins playing.

The Great Dakka tree narrates, and his voice is enough to put you to sleep. The gist of it is Velgar, the Lord of Darkness is trying to do something. The gods spoke to him in a dream and wanted him to do something about it. To have a sense of urgency that poisoned him so that he wouldn't slack off finding a hero.

The five great races have chosen their champions as well and you are to meet them in Parvel the grand capital. You've got a few weeks to get there.

Vuanaunt - September 18, 2010 03:25 AM (GMT)
...Did the Great Dakka Tree just command her to travel with him? Seriously, with all that background noise, of it's seed cannons going off constantly, and narration that could put coffee to sleep, Cerise couldn't tell. Eh, if even it merely requested her to, she would. This guy wasn't that bad.


...Wasn't he asking something?


...Oh right, the Great Dakka Tree's illness. "It was infested with some sort of malevolent spider... Which I guess kills trees? Anyways I'm sure it's completely unrelated to the Lord of Darkness."

HaloKirby9 - September 19, 2010 09:09 PM (GMT)
"Are you sure we shouldn't check this out? It seems kinda important. Really kinda important."

Vuanaunt - September 20, 2010 02:01 AM (GMT)
Cerise turned to the Great Dakka tree. It was clearly going to die soon... but the last time she offered to help, The GDT was adamant that it didn't want her to try to help it, as it didn't think she could. She hadn't reconsidered it yet with this new guy since she was pretty sure he didn't add much, but it was worth double checking.


"So GDT, what do you think? Can we try to help?"

Masterly - September 20, 2010 03:30 AM (GMT)
The Great Dakka tree stands towering before you. Altern has only ever seen the GDT twice in his admittedly short gnome life. But to see the protector of the forest right before your eyes is another matter entirely. The feeling of amazement end as soon as the tree opens its mouth however.

"Help with what? The fucking goddesses put a giant spider in me. And if you want to help you'll get the hell out of here and to\o the meeting!"

The tree begins ranting about the gold old days, back when it was a sapling. It begins droning on and on and you're beginning to wonder if going to see the tree was a good idea or now.

"Why, back in my day OUR heroes didn't complain. They got their quest and they went on their merry way. And we didn't have any of those new-fangled 'backstories' or any a' that 'character development' either. Okay sure, they might have been restricted by the limited size of the games bu-"

You're beginning to space out.

Vuanaunt - September 20, 2010 04:35 AM (GMT)
Ugghh.... It was rambling again. Normally the GDT is full of wisdom and is a pleasure to talk to, but ever since it was infected, it's been getting progressively grumpier.


It's almost as if having a giant spider eat you insides over a long period of time upsets a person. Being made out of magic and pixie dust, Cerise probably will never understand the whole idea of "biology".

... Anyways, the GDK had gone blind a while ago. He was likely to ramble on pointlessly until he forgot who he was talking to. Cerise flew in front of Altern put a finger in front of her lips, signaled the exit, and landed on his shoulder (Awaiting transport).



(If Altern does sneak out) Out of the tree's earshot, Cerise says "Hey listen, I genuinely care about the GDT. I'd like it if you'd sneak in and perform a quick spider-ectomy.


...But this has to be your idea if anyone asks.

Masterly - September 20, 2010 04:48 AM (GMT)
Allow me to clear a few things up.

The spider will go away once you reach the meeting zone, but the fate of the GDT depends on how fast you get there. Or you could get some dungeon crawling out of the way first. Up to you guys really. The GDT was supposed to have more time but due to some messy corporate paperwork the GDT got the shit end of the stick.

Vuanaunt - September 20, 2010 05:16 AM (GMT)
I could go either way.


Kirby?

HaloKirby9 - September 20, 2010 05:45 AM (GMT)
...Really? The GDT had changed since Altern had last seen him. A lot. Oh well, even if the GDT didn't want to accept his help, he was gonna get it anyways. Altern was about to charge in, when Cerise flew right infront of him, stopping him. He put his finger over his lips and signaled towards the exit before landing on Altern's shoulder. Looks like he wasn't getting anywhere until he went outside. Hopefully Cerise had a plan.

"Hey listen, I genuinely care about the GDT. I'd like it if you'd sneak in and perform a quick spider-ectomy."
"Sure. Infact, I was thinking the exact same thing buddy."
"But first, we'll need 1) A way to get in quickly and quietly and 2) some way to defend ourselves. This crappy thing won't keep either of us safe for long."

While Cerise does whatever fairy things he does, Altern searches for some materials to improve his lame excuse for a knife.


I'm just going to keep refering to Cerise as a male until it makes sense for Altern to notice. He kind of oblivious about this stuff, okay =P. Also, I'd prefer if you didn't call me HaloKirby. You can say Halo, or Kirby, or HK9, or anything else, but for some reason, HaloKirby bothers me. Sorry if I'm sounding kind of jerkish.

Vuanaunt - September 20, 2010 04:12 PM (GMT)
"Hey (dummy) while I'd love to wait around for around for you to make a larger sword... Don't you already have one?. Wouldn't a shield help more than a third knife? It'd also be easier to make one, just grab a hunk of bark off of a big tree, there are plenty of them around."




QUOTE
I'd prefer if you didn't call me HaloKirby. You can say Halo, or Kirby, or HK9, or anything else, but for some reason, HaloKirby bothers me. Sorry if I'm sounding kind of jerkish.


That's fine, sorry for bothering you.

HaloKirby9 - September 20, 2010 09:10 PM (GMT)
"Oh yeah. That knife." said Altern as he pulls out a large knife. Seriously, what is up with the knife. Why would anyone need a knife that big? And don't use that "electrical knife" BS. Whatever. Back to the story. "Anyways, you want this thing?" said Altern, indicating to the homemade knife. "You'll need something to defend yourself with and it's slightly better than nothing."

Without waiting for a response, Altern lays the knife on the ground and starts looking for something to use as a shield.


Now I feel like a jerk. I wasn't seriously offended or anything. You don't have to apologize.
QUOTE
I could go either way.


Kirby?

:lol:

Vuanaunt - September 20, 2010 10:14 PM (GMT)
The knife that you started with.

That one.

Not the knife you made.



And don't feel like a jerk. I apologize at almost a Canadian level.

(P.S. Check your name.)

HaloKirby9 - September 21, 2010 12:19 AM (GMT)
I edited my earlier post.

Masterly - September 21, 2010 12:26 AM (GMT)
Search - [5]: Altern scrounges the area surrounding the GDT, he finds 4 Dakka nuts and a slightly point rock.

Item Encyclopedia
Dakka Nut
Description: These nuts are infused with the life of the forest itself, eating one is a great away to restore energy. When struck with enough force they snap and the energy is released with a bang. The flash emitted is enough to stun someone unprepared.
Uses: Can be eaten to restore some stamina, a skilled alchemist can use these to make potions. On a roll of [4] or higher using the Throw command one can stun a foe for one round.

[b]Slightly Pointy Rock[b] - E-rank Item
No bonus to combat
Bludgeoning
Can be used for crafting

-Notes-
Items range from E to A rank.

E - Pretty poor quality, using these items are generally detrimental. Mostly used for, or to supplement crafting.
D - Also of poor quality, but these items have a function. Whether or not they break in use is another thing.
C - Medium quality, most store bought items fall within this range. They're break in time but they have a long usage life.
B - High quality, a craftsman of some skill worked on this.
A - Very high quality, can never be broken. Unless you do something really stupid, then all bets are off.

HaloKirby9 - September 22, 2010 12:02 AM (GMT)
((Vua, is Cerise doing anything, or can I go?))

Vuanaunt - September 22, 2010 12:18 AM (GMT)
I was waiting on you Kirby,



"..."

ಠ_ಠ

"(Is this guy serious?)"

Cerise looked at the knife of the ground. Even with it's diminutive size, it was as big as she was. Because of the square-cube picking it up wouldn't be an issue, but due to the proportional size the knife was the exact opposite of useful. Besides as a red fairy, her illusions were her shield, and her fire magic was her sword. Carrying a knife would be pointless.


...But still, her inventory was close to empty, and as the old saying goes "Let no inventory go uncluttered." Cerise captchalogues the bad knife

(2+1+2 + 2+2+1+2+1= 13 % 10 = 3)

The knife is captchalouged in card three.

HaloKirby9 - September 22, 2010 03:52 AM (GMT)
((Just one last thing. This post will be even shorter than usual because of time constraints.))


"Before we go, I just need to find one last thing." Altern searches for a vine or something similar, and then (no matter the result of the first roll) enters the GDT sneakily.

Masterly - September 22, 2010 04:25 AM (GMT)
Search - [4]+1: Altern snoops around the abundant forest and manages to find himself a couple meters of Dakka vines. Very sturdy and very flexible, perfect for tethering and such.

I gave a +1 because you were searching for something very specific in an area with an abundance of such items.

Sneaking - [3]+1: After the gathering of vines Altern cautiously creeps into the Great Dakka Tree's gaping maw. But the second he steps into the mouth he steps on a branch and the entrance slams shut behind him. Even inside he can the GDT's rumblings. "Who's out there!? If you think you can sneak in another spider you've got another thing coming Goddesses!"

HaloKirby9 - September 22, 2010 04:28 AM (GMT)
((And Cerise is...?))

Altern binds all the Dakku Nuts and the Rock together with some of the vines to make...

Vuanaunt - September 22, 2010 01:08 PM (GMT)
QUOTE (HaloKirby9 @ Sep 22 2010, 12:28 AM)
((And Cerise is...?))

Cerise uses her Firemagic to light illuminate the surroundings.

Masterly - September 24, 2010 01:18 AM (GMT)
Cerise uses Fire Magic - [4]+1: Small orange flames are summoned all around Cerise, the flames, while altogether not very strong are potent enough to act as a light source. Cerise has 5 charges, she may use 1 charge to attack something but must use a new Fire Magic to strike. Or she may use 1 charge to set a non-moving object aflame without making a a new roll.

Altern Crafts [3]+1: Half of the length of vine is used to bind the rocks and Dakka nuts together, it is of a haphazard design but Altern has spent too much time on it just to stop now. Altern has created the Dakka Dakka Bomb.

Dakka Dakka Bomb - D-rank Weapon
Combat - +0
Durability - 1/1
Notes: The Dakka Dakka Bomb is a heavy set weapon that requires Altern to carry it in both hands to throw. Like the Dakka Nuts it can be used to stun a foe. The Dakka Dakka Bomb will still only stun for one round but may now affect multiple targets.

Inside the Great Dakka Tree
You are inside the expansive body of the GDT, vines seem to churn and constrict as if alive. The tree extends upward and even with the light Cerise manages to emit the shadows seem to stretch on till forever. You'd better get a move on, a ramp along the side of the tree is before you, and there's only one way to go.

Here is how dungeons will work. There will be a set number of challenges within the dungeon, be they puzzles, combat, or just RP situations. At the end of these challenges there will be a boss fight. If you die in any sort of challenge you will be forced 2 challenges backward and I will come up with some new puzzles. Only combat requires the use of d8 rolls, puzzles can be solved without making rolls but certain tools might be required for certain tasks. And some puzzles may require the use of specific skills. RP situations will not require any sort of rolls but may require you to think on what to say.

Any questions or complaints?

Vuanaunt - September 24, 2010 01:30 AM (GMT)
Cerise: Descend.

(Admittedly not as easy to catch a reference as I first imagined.)

HaloKirby9 - September 24, 2010 02:45 AM (GMT)
Altern: LET'S GO!!!

((I'm fine with how it sounds.))

Masterly - September 26, 2010 03:36 PM (GMT)
I'm not going to bother rolling for this because I honestly should have done this earlier.

You press through the musty tree and soon you are no longer able to see the entrance. What is in sight however is a door, it is about 3 feet high and seems to be shut.




* Hosted for free by InvisionFree