InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Peregrine Weyr. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:


welcome
to peregrine weyr!

Peregrine Weyr is a semi-to-non-canon Twelfth Pass Pern roleplay set in a Pern where AIVAS' discovery set the ball rolling to Pern's rediscovery by the rest of the human race. A team of scientists has returned to Pern to unlock its secrets - and they have been changing the face of Pern since their arrival more than a decade ago. Only time will tell what the real goals of this scientific team are, and what their arrival will do to the planet.

quick links
important info...faster!

current events
hatchings - flights - plots!

Flights/Runs:
ooo
Touchings:
ooo
Hatchings:
oooPearl Aidyth - Dinosaurs - Coming in Dec.
oooPearl Iassenth - Cartoons - Coming in Dec.
Lessons:
oooTerribling Meet 'n' Greet - Hybrids
oooWhat Lies Between - Constellation Clutch

conditions
weather and the like!

Season:
oooFall
Weather:
oooFifties to low sixties during the day, frosty at night, with intermittent winds. Mostly sunny, with the occasional cloudbursts.
Gossip:
oooFort Weyr's visiting...and there seem to be an awful lot more of them this time than there were last fall...
oooIassenth and Aidyth will be clutching any day now!
oooWhers have teeth and hybrids are...hybrids. The awful from the babies continues!
oooThe Intrepid scientists are up to something sinister and the Weyr is at arms. Whatever will be happening, it's not good.

links
affiliates and junk


Dalibor


credits
given where they are due

Skin © squidface
Sidebar © squidface

Pages: (14) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
reply
topic
poll

 When You Wish Upon a Star, Nozzy x Norm HATCHING
Cherie
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 01:32 AM


Apprentice


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 42
Member No.: 41
Joined: 11-June 11



Ah! Yes! That was quite the clever mechanism-- and very appropriate to the situation, given that she couldn't see a blessed thing. "Polo!" called Maggie, trying to follow the sound of David's voice. It wasn't easy, what with the humming going on, but she was determined. One way or another, she was going to find a way. ... How... was she going to see to take notes at this rate? ... Bloody hell! It was a good thing she'd grabbed up a recorder along with the notebook when she'd gone for her supplies. It was part of her usual kit, which was the only reason she had it at all. Maybe she'd be able to figure something out from the sounds.

... Or maybe it would be as confusing as it was now. Blast. "Polo!" she called again, just in case he hadn't heard her the last time. This time, her voice was louder; closer, perhaps? It was possible. It was terribly amusing to be playing this game at such a time. What else could they do, though? It was not as though they had some sort of locator, or anything of the sort.

Shame, that. It would have been dead useful right about now. It really, really would have. Or maybe some sort of light... a light that wasn't as dim as those that had been strung along at whatever interval it seemed appropriate to the Weyrfolk. Ah! There was a thought! Maybe if she got closer to one of the glows David might be able to see her?

It was worth a shot. She stepped toward a light-- and promptly got lost in the shuffle. Shoot, that hadn't been at all effective. She wasn't some tiny thing to be blown away in a breeze, though, and she (as politely as possible) made her way out of the thick of the crowd. This wound up with her pressed up against a wall, a little away from one of the glows. "Polo!" she called a third time for good measure. If the Doctor hadn't heard her at least one of those times, he probably wouldn't be hearing her anytime soon. But then again, he'd responded to her initial call. Now, if he hadn't wandered too far since then...


--------------------
Offworlder Hybridhandler Marguerite Henshaw of Kali - Anthropologist
Wingleader K'var of Silver Methoth
top
Ferret
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 02:16 AM


IN SPACE


Group: Moderators
Posts: 540
Member No.: 16
Joined: 22-May 11



David's grin wasn't visible in the darkness, but it should have been. Hell, it was the sort of smile that should have had a ting sound effect behind it, plus possibly a sparkle. Maggie caught onto the game quickly enough and he tried to follow her voice just as she was following his. It would have been a perfect mechanism, except for two facts:

One, there were many, many other people crowding around, and more were arriving with every passing minute.

Two, most of those people were just as blind as David and Maggie were.

Three, those people were also trying to locate their friends.

And this was important because it briefly distracted the Doctor. Wasn't it just amazing, their own behavior? In times of stress, people instinctively tried to get together with those they knew and trusted, even when they knew that their allies would be just as badly-off as they were. Simply astounding... then again, wasn't it exactly what he was doing?

Now if only Maggie were here... she'd definitely have some interesting insights into basic human n...

Oh there she was! Or at least there was her voice, calling out 'Polo'! Thankfully, Pern wasn't exactly full of tall redheaded women and the glow's meager light was still enough for the Doctor to find her. "Hello, Maggie!" he said cheerfully, being one of those individuals who had no Inside Voice. Gesturing towards the black hatching grounds, he continued, "Isn't it just brilliant? I mean, it was by daylight. I'm sure that this is very awe-inspiring and amazing."

Of course it was! It was happening. Therefore, it was amazing.


--------------------
C'ren and Green Ceylith (seagreen) (Firelizard Copper Kay)
Journeyman Healer Cordel (Firelizards Gold Tribble and White You)
Weyrling Elaeran and Black Polluth (Bolded) (Firelizard Green Wingleader Sniggles)
Vartan and Green Vartask (009966)
Hybridhandler Taavetti and Gustav
Offworlder David Kieran "The Doctor" (Firelizard Blue Alonso)
JM Jewelrycrafter Rystia and Green Rystisk (Forestgreen)
C'ym and Bronze Hanumanth (#CEC836)
Plotting Thread %mh%-765%mh%
top
Jana
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 06:25 AM


Apprentice


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 30
Member No.: 37
Joined: 7-June 11



((Sorry, typed this in five mins before work!)

The sudden humming may have woken up most of the year, but Holli Loresman had the advantage of already being awake. It had been a sleepless night for her, where everytime she began to doze off, she'd just wake up with a start, breathing hard and nearly covered in sweat. It was unlike her tp have such trouble sleeping, and as she stared at the ceiling after countless hours of attempting to get some rest, she had all but gien up.

But wait... what the hell was that? It sounded like some kind of vibration. Her first thought was that something on in the labs The Peregrine was about to explode, so she woke with a start. Jumping out of bed, she ran down the hallway and peered into the Laboratory. To her suprise and relief, it was was dark as night inside. However, the vibrating hum continued. What could it be?

OHSHITDRAGONS was pretty muc the next thought into her head, and the next moment the young biogeneticist was sprinting down the hallway. It seemed that in 30 seconds she had managed to travel the distance, throw her robe on, and run a brush through her hair. It might not have been her brightest moment, and she did look quite sleep depriived, but it would have to do. She'd already wasted enough time.

She dashed out of the ship, half jog-half extremely fast walk, trying to appear calm and collected when every bone in her body was screaming out 'get to the eggs!' As she reached the hatching sands, she blinked a few times. Oh Christ, it was practically pitch black in here! She mumbled to herself as the heat of the sands hit her, before attempting to go in the direction of the clutchmother. She bowed low to the ground, seeing that indeed, several of the eggs close to her were rocking.

Before heading to the girl's semi circle, she grabbed a basket of glows, since they didn'y have any on board the Peregrine. It was strange to use them, as the biogeneticist candidate was used to technology and electricity to light her way in times of darkness. But that all didn't matter now. As she took her place among the rest of the candidates, all worry and haste disappeared from her mind.


--------------------
Don't walk... Fly

user posted image user posted image
%mh%55%mh%
top
tuathade
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 09:34 AM


no one is safe, nothing is sacred


Group: Weyrleaders
Posts: 305
Member No.: 3
Joined: 27-April 11



Mrrrrnfrgle. Middle of the night. Why was everyone making so much sharding noise?

Rodana was used to waking up at ridiculously early hours. She was a morning person. You got up at the crack of dawn - or a little before - when most of your work was done on a fishing boat, and you had to take a trip between just to get there every day. And for some reason eggs, gold dragons, and Candidatemasters all loved to try to surprise Candidates by springing stuff on them as the sun was still rising. A cute little trick to keep everyone on their toes, and that too had become one of the Weyr's routines.

This, however, was taking the joke a bit far. A glance at the nearest clock (what lovely inventions the offworlders brought with them!) revealed that this was not predawn. It was not, in fact, even late enough to be called "early morning" yet. It was the middle of the sharding night. And the eggs were hatching.

Waitaminuteohshardstheeggswerehatching.

The journeyman seacrafter flung herself out of bed with renewed energy, threw on her robes, and paused only long enough to tie her hair back (it'd get in the way, with dragon hatchlings running everywhere) and check to make sure that said robe wasn't inside-out or backwards. All in order? Everything more-or-less presentable? Good. Excitement was overriding the tiredness, and she quickly joined the crowd of Candidates moving inexorably towards the Sands.

This was exciting. Oh sure, she'd Stood at plenty of Hatchings before. But those were Fort hatchings. This was PEREGRINE. It was full of crazy. Everything the offworlders touched was full of crazy! It'd be worth showing up, even if she didn't Impress, just to see what kind of bizarre shenanigans ended up happening here. Pity it wasn't a pearl clutch, so she likely wouldn't get to see a newborn bismuth or garnet or any of the other new colors... But still, a gold AND a silver egg on the Sands boded well for the clutchparents.

Taking her place in the semicircle of girls, Rodana bobbed up and down on her tiptoes to get a better look, wishing she'd stopped to grab a basket of glows. It was going to be hard to see the dragons in the dark...


--------------------
[x] (969696) Weyrleader Sh'ard of silver Normandith
[x] (595A80) Jr. Queenrider C'ross of pearl Iassenth
[x] (0A116E) Sr. Weyrling L'ir of blue Dolosventh
[x] (00AAFF) Rover/AI "Sam"
[x] (AAB574) Journeyman Seacrafter Rodana of green Rodansk
[x] (C4A55A) Wherhandler Matthew Grayson of brown Graysk
[x] (4D0000) Prototype Hybrid Alex
[x] (oooooo) Candidate/Glasscrafter Miskael
[x] (oooooo) Apprentice Dragonhealer Thomas Sinclair %mh%-195%mh%
top
Admin
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 09:43 AM


Administrator


Group: Weyrleaders
Posts: 44
Member No.: 1
Joined: 8-April 11



Things were beginning to lighten up, as more baskets of glows were brought and stacked around the perimeter of the Sands. At least shapes and movement could easily be seen, now. The steady light shone on the eggs, throwing them into sharp black-and-white relief, but keeping them a little brighter nonetheless. If you tilted your head right, you could almost see the twinkling marks on the shells. But it was still dark; the dragonets when they hatched would only barely be visible. R'ley sighed again, hoping that a combination of eyes adjusting to the dark and general instincts would prevent maulings, since it was unlikely to get any brighter.

After all, there were only so many glows in an unused Weyr at any given time. And the Weyrwoman was beginning to regret the decision the builders of the Weyr had made to not put in proper lighting on the Sands. The comfort of the clutchmother, they had all decided, was most important of all. Lights would have just made her uncomfortable. They hadn't been planning for the possibility of a Hatching a few hours past midnight.

At least Candidates were beginning to file in. R'ley watched as they began to appear, many of them holding small glowbaskets of their own. That, at least, would help somewhat. Not enough, but she was counting glows even as the eggs, that had all been occasionally twitching, suddenly stepped up the activity. Sh'ard's question was waved off vaguely as R'ley focuesd her entire attention on the clutch.

The Pisces egg, in particular, seemed to pick up its pace, rocking violently as the dragonet inside planned its attack.

Eventually it nearly shattered, sending a dragonet that seemed a bit large for the shell sprawling. For a moment, the shape lay still and dark on the Sands. But before long it unfolded, revealing a hatchling quite a bit larger than would be typical for an egg that size. It took its time stretching (and the Weyrwoman couldn't blame it; such a big body for such a little egg, it must have been awfully cramped!) before heading straight for the girls.

For a while, the dark body moved up and down the line, appraising with eyes that glinted blue off the occasional glow that caught it. Eventually, it stopped in front of Holli. Looking her up and down, it trilled in amusement and twined around her like a cat before flopping down and staring at the boys.

No, the gorgeous girl wasn't the dragonet's chosen bonded, but the dragonet didn't feel like looking just yet. So it would stay with Holli for a while while it waited.


--------------------
%mh%475%mh%
top
Nozomi
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 09:56 AM


IN SPACE


Group: Moderators
Posts: 343
Member No.: 6
Joined: 12-May 11



Each and every time Leola squeaked, she had to remind herself that, no, proper young ladies did not squeak and they never would and she did not do that sort of undignified thing. Except when she did. And when the noise of that first egg cracking split the air, the woman certainly squeaked in a most distasteful manner.

She muffled it behind one of her hands, balancing the basket precariously between stomach and the other free hand. But Leola stared at that prone and dark shape, the little creature - no, the friggen huge beastie, the- the something-sized dragonet how did she not know the average size yet, crud - moved. No matter how big or little it was for it's (unknown) color, it moved, and towards one of the girls.

Leola fidgeted. She waited. There was no outcry of recognition, no movement towards food probably was (somewhere). No - well, anything, really. That was okay, wasn't it? No distress from the baby was good, no matter what.

Probably.

-----

Vityai's humming faltered with the shell and the subsequent dragon. He'd seen baby dragons, of course, but never under the dark cloak of night with only a fardling frickin' basket of glows at his feet.

His robes felt too warm. His feet hurt. Vityai wanted to sleep but, more then that, he wanted to see who these little things would go to. Wavering on his feet with sore calves from work and the dangling temptation of sleep seemed appropriate for the tension on the Sands. Maybe tension? Maybe he was the only one tense.

Except when he heard a squeak somewhere out there. Okay, at least he wasn't making the noises of an irritated firelizard. That was a good thing. He felt as if he should say something, but didn't, because in all honesty he could say he had no real relationships with anyone on the Sands, and no one to Stand with.

He'd kill for a pillow. Or a dragon. Perhaps a pastry. In the meantime, Vityai squinted at the dark shape before trailing right back to the eggs.


--------------------
Leola of Gold Ledath (FFAA55)
Weyrling B'lank of Tanazite Abbelloth (CC00FF)
Cookingcrafter Vityai and hybrid Taravi
Peregrine Mechanic Kr'stof of bronze Regiuth (CC9900)
Weavercrafter Natai and blue Natask (00CCFF)
Leathercrafter/Wherhandler Siata of Bronze Siask(FF6633)
Peregrine Botanist Norm Spellman
Peregrine Psychiatrist Natasha Bardot%mh%-90%mh%
top
Knight
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:09 AM


Drudge


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 15
Member No.: 18
Joined: 22-May 11



Follansbee woke up to his bed practically vibrating beneath his body. It was the humming, of course, but it took Follansbee a little while to figure that out. The other Candidates took significantly less time, and a few of them were already out the door in their white robes before Follansbee was even on his feet. It took him a long moment to even leave the warmth of his furs. Despite the heat of the summer, Follansbee was kind of cold. That was what happened when it was night, he figured. distantly as he slid out from under the furs and very reluctantly grabbed his robe from where it was stuffed under his bed. It was a bit wrinkled and rather dusty, but it would do, Follansbee figured. He snapped the robe a few times, hoping to get rid of the worst of the dust. Under the bed was kinda . . . nasty, after all. Very dusty and dirty but it was too dark to tell much of anything. Had he gotten all the dust off?

Shrugging, Follansbee pulled the robe on and stuffed his feet into sandals and hurried out of the Candidate Barracks, headed towards the Hatching Sands. Hatching time! He didn't stop to grab a glowbasket. The idea didn't occur to the young Candidate. Follansbee simply made a bee-line for the Hatching Sands. He absolutely refused to be late! He had been late for the Touching and he was sure that the Queenrider would remember him being late. Someone being late for a Touching wasn't something that was easily forgotten. Touchings were, after all, rather important.

So no. He wasn't going to repeat that experience again! Follansbee scurried onto the Sands and dipped into a quick bow towards Nostromoth, the Queen who had laid the clutch. As far as he could tell, he was on time. But the Sands were too dark for him to be absolutely certain as Follansbee hurried towards the males, his feet already beginning to swelter on the hot Sands. As he had at the Touching, Follansbee was silently mulling over the possibilities of sand as an aid in pranking. Things like putting it in someone's bed had potential, because they'd be finding sand in their bed for an eternity. Or maybe more. Sand didn't like to come out of beds.

Follansbee grinned as he found a place amongst the males. He stood behind a few of the males, but was careful to make sure that he could see the Sands and the eggs. Not that it was particularly light enough for Follansbee to be able to make out anything besides silhouettes of eggs twitching back and forth. He had to stand on his tip-toes (and probably block the view of those behind him) to catch sight of the first egg Hatching, revealing a fairly large dragonet. Follansbee couldn't make out the color and therefore the gender of the dragonet.

He watched as it wandered up to the girls and curled around one of them. Did that mean that it had Impressed? What? Follansbee was confused! He was about ready to clap for the dragonet's Impression, but the dragon untwined itself from the girl that Follansbee didn't particularly know and flopped on the Sands, head pointed towards the boys. What in the name of Pern?

That . . . Follansbee was confused. Had the dragonet Impressed or hadn't it? It certainly had acted like it was Impressing when it curled around the girl, but the whole flopping on the Sands didn't look like it had Impressed. Peregrine Hatchings were weiiiiird.


--------------------
Rayna, Weyrling of Brown Praetoth (c5a696)
F'bee, Weyrling of White Castorth (italicized)
top
Tiamat
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:12 AM


eeep!


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 50
Member No.: 8
Joined: 17-May 11



Corvis had been asleep when the humming started. Unfortunately, having finally broken through his excitement-slash-nerves induced insomnia by means of complete exhaustion meant he stayed asleep until Nostromoth's mental call, and even then he took several long moments to piece it together. …Clutch, Sands, hatchi— SHARDS THE EGGS ARE HATCHING.

He fell out of the bed again (he made a mental note to himself to not make a habit of doing this), scrambled to get to his feet, threw his candidate robes on, and grabbed a glowbasket before bolting for the Sands. He arrived shortly before the first egg fully hatched, and he was… rather surprised by how large the hatchling was compared to the egg. He couldn’t for the life of him see what color it was, though… He could see only that it was large for its egg, a dragon, and, despite curling around one woman's legs, hadn't yet Impressed. Which… wasn’t helpful. At all.


--------------------
F'wif of tanzanite Thintoth (F78FFF)
WIP: Z'ex of green Daxith (94B420)
Weyrling Corvis of Medusath (54A248) %mh%45%mh%
top
giftwrapped
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:18 AM


convergence is coming! make us whole!


Group: Weyrleaders
Posts: 344
Member No.: 2
Joined: 8-April 11



A small ball of light appeared at the entrance to the Sands, hovering about a foot above head-height and wavering for a second. In the pool of brightness it cast on the ground, a man appeared. Where others filing onto the Sands were out-of-breath or rumpled (and even in the darkness, the man's gaze passed over the other people he could see in silent judgment), he was impeccably-dressed, not a thread out of place. Though the fact that he was in a lab coat implied that he hadn't been sleeping to begin with.

That was all right. There was a rumour among the offworlders that he never slept.

He started toward the Stands, choosing a seat as low as possible and sinking into it with minimal fuss, leaning his elbows on his knees and staring intently out at the darkness. The globe of light - independently-mobile and capable of taking simple directions, a rare success from that idiot roboticist-turned-bartender; he had felt it important to hold onto the thing - settled behind him and dimmed of its own volition. Presumably even robots understood when a situation required gravitas.

And this one certainly did. Eggs were hatching.

And Salvador had arrived.


--------------------
[x] (8B814C) Weyrwoman R'ley of gold Nostromoth
[x] (9C661F) Wingrider I'saac of brown Wylath
[x] (8B4513) Weyrling K'irk of brown Aesclepiuth
[x] (5E2612) Ex-Colonel Miles Quaritch of brown Milesk
[x] (4D0000) Offworlder Jax of hybrid Elizabeth
[x] (64A33D) Apprentice Healer Lanakirene of green Isonth
[x] (483D8B) Weyrling A'non of blue Costoth
[x] (333333) Candidatemaster Valana

[x] (333333) WIP | Dragon Candidate Alianyi
top
shadowreine
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:27 AM


Master


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 104
Member No.: 21
Joined: 23-May 11



It was a very good job that Candidate robes really did not have either a front or a back, from the way Kejuli scrambled into hers. Truth was...Kejuli rose from the dead every morning. Getting awake was not easy for her...the middle of the freaking night?

Just her luck. She had to get there before the first egg cracked. She had to. There. Robe on. Sandals on. And running for the sands...well behind what seemed like all of the other Candidates.

She couldn't be late. Her mind almost went into a panic state...if the first dragonet to hatch was supposed to be hers, and went Between because she was late?

Run. Run. Of course, she KNEW you didn't run to the Hatching Sands. She knew better, but she was so flustered that she completely forgot.

Into the Hatching grounds...and the second she was in clear view of those in the Stands, although still well away from the eggs, it happened.

Kejuli tripped over the hem of her robe and faceplanted right there on the Hatching Sands.

Did that count as a bow?

--

Everett had no clue why he was bothering with this. Like animals were prone to do, the dragonets had decided to arrive in the *middle of the night*.

But everyone else was hauling themselves out of bed with various degrees of yawning, and it seemed silly not to go. Even if he didn't really want to. Even if he'd rather turn over and go back to sleep.

Stupid Pernese and their dragon worship. Of course the *Candidates* needed to be there, but the rest of them? He pulled on the first clean clothing he could find and made his way, not particularly hurrying, to the heated ampitheater that was the dragon's brooding space. Apparently, the eggs needed a lot of heat to hatch into healthy dragon babies.

Even in the middle of the night it managed to be somewhat warm in there. He could see the Pernese scrambling to put up glows. Hrm. Maybe stringing lights in here would be a good idea...although the phosphorescent fungus the Pernese used DID have the virtue of being a fully renewable resource. He also already saw a dragon, but in the darkness and with egg goo...what color was it?


--------------------
Kevora of brown Kevorask - the far too quiet wherhandler
E'rett of blue Leviath - the reluctant weyrling
Kejuli - the eternally cheerful Candidate %mh%-75%mh%
top
Mira
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:28 AM


Can't be beat at egg puns. She's truly eggceptional.


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 110
Member No.: 36
Joined: 7-June 11



Ozzy jolted at the sound of a shell splitting, squinting in the dimness in an effort to make out the color of the dragonet. He had never seen one before, and was a little put out that he still mostly was not seeing it. Either way, though, it only seemed interested in the girls.

"Green," he announced quietly, placing his bet there. The male candidates near him would have had no problem hearing the declaration, but it was far from a shout. "Went for the girls, it's a green." Ozzy was born holdless and this was the first weyr he had really been any part of, so it didn't occur to him that the dragonet was larger than expected. Ozzy just didn't know anything about dragons. He was aware, though, that girls and greens went together a lot, and that wasn't the silver or gold egg.

His eyes darted over to the moving light that illuminated Salvador. Something about that guy made the hair stand on the back of his neck. He kept one eye on the clutch and the other on the man as he found a seat.

Ozzy wasn't sure how it was, but he had a bad feeling about this.

From his place in the stands, the security chief felt roughly the same thing.


--------------------
top
Cherie
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:41 AM


Apprentice


Group: Weyrfolk
Posts: 42
Member No.: 41
Joined: 11-June 11



"Why David, how good to see you," said Maggie rather cheerfully, forgetting that she had been awakened in the middle of the night and rather ridiculously exhausted just a couple minutes ago. "Let's find ourselves a seat, shall we?" she inquired, leading the way toward the stands. There was a bit of a fuss going on on the Sands-- oh! Was that a dragon glimmering in the glows there? "Would you look at that! There's a dragonet already hatched." And they definitely needed to be finding a seat. Maggie elected not to bring a glow along, as it was probably far more important for the Candidates to have one a piece. Assuming that could be managed.

At least, the more Candidates who had glows, the better. She'd just have to rely upon the light from her screen, which really wasn't fabulous. ... Maybe that wasn't such a good idea, actually. Her eyes would adjust to the darkness, and... oh, well, she hadn't brought her personal computer with her. Right. Because it was back in her room. Of course it was.

The pencil and paper were going to be rather useless without light. They really, really were. She sighed, and took a seat, peering toward the Sands. "What I wouldn't give for a closer look..." Wouldn't it be worthwhile to track the Candidates various responses? And she'd wanted to see bonding behavior up close. Hmmn, well, that wasn't going to happen tonight.

How unfortunate. "It's all rather fascinating, isn't it?" David of all people would understand just how exciting the experience was. Maggie tucked her pencil behind her ear, and settled the notebook on her lap, leaning as far forward as she could. "What color do you suppose that one is?" There was no way of telling, not even with the dim light of those glows on the hatchling. Without light, would there be any way of determining the color of the young dragonets? She rather enjoyed the suspense involved in not knowing, but her curiosity really could not be contained.


--------------------
Offworlder Hybridhandler Marguerite Henshaw of Kali - Anthropologist
Wingleader K'var of Silver Methoth
top
tuathade
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 10:57 AM


no one is safe, nothing is sacred


Group: Weyrleaders
Posts: 305
Member No.: 3
Joined: 27-April 11



The run from the Peregrine to the Hatching Sands was not a short one. In fact, it was quite a distance, especially for a science nerd more used to puttering around a laboratory than engaging in impromptu midnight sprints.

And unluckily for Thomas, he had to make the run twice.

At the time that Nostromoth called, Tom wasn't on the Peregrine. He was in the weyr's Infirmary, doing a little late-night research to calm his jitters. Sometimes he just couldn't sleep, and when he was all full of energy it seemed best to just ride it out utilizing a positive outlet, right? So when the call sounded, he was conveniently right around the corner from the Hatching Caverns. (Curious, that the infirmary and the sands should be so close together. It had been deliberately designed that way. Perhaps in the event of maulings? Baby dragons, from what Tom read, did seem much more dangerous than adult ones...) Without even thinking, he exited the Infirmary and followed the mental call, joining up with the crowd of sleepy Candidates in their robes.

And that was when he noticed what was missing. Oh right. The robes. The robes that were in his room.

He might have just been able to pick up a spare pair from the laundry in the Lower Caverns. But this late at night, there wouldn't be anyone around to direct him to where they were kept, and Thomas suspected he'd waste more time fumbling around in the dark looking for them. Which meant that, dammit dammit dammit, he would have to go all the way to the ship and then ALL THE WAY BACK.

He did so. At a full sprint. It was quite possibly the most impressive athletic feat he'd done in years.

Even so, by the time he stumbled onto the Sands out of breath and properly berobed, one of the eggs had already hatched. Oh dear. That made him properly late... And in the dark, he couldn't even tell what color the baby was. He somewhat sheepishly took a place near the back of the boys, trying to calm his racing heartbeat as his attention turned towards the rest of the eggs.


--------------------
[x] (969696) Weyrleader Sh'ard of silver Normandith
[x] (595A80) Jr. Queenrider C'ross of pearl Iassenth
[x] (0A116E) Sr. Weyrling L'ir of blue Dolosventh
[x] (00AAFF) Rover/AI "Sam"
[x] (AAB574) Journeyman Seacrafter Rodana of green Rodansk
[x] (C4A55A) Wherhandler Matthew Grayson of brown Graysk
[x] (4D0000) Prototype Hybrid Alex
[x] (oooooo) Candidate/Glasscrafter Miskael
[x] (oooooo) Apprentice Dragonhealer Thomas Sinclair %mh%-195%mh%
top
Dragonfire
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 11:28 AM


Master


Group: Moderators
Posts: 238
Member No.: 5
Joined: 11-May 11



"This is insane."

"Thank you for your absolutely insightful comments, Yisith," Rydia sighed at her green, sipping sleepily at her mug of klah. She would not even be here if not for the wonders of klah. Ugh.

"I'm not even joking. The middle of the night? We can't even see what's going on!" The green twitched her wings and tail in irritation on the dragonledge she'd settled on after they'd arrived in the dark cavern. "Well, I sort of can. But you?"

"I'll manage, m'dear." She couldn't very well not, after all. Her hands would be needed in assisting the newly-impressed weyrlings towards the food - especially in this dark. "Just let me know when and where the new pairs are, hey?" In the meantime, she'd wait on the edge by the butchers' tables, trying and failing to keep an eye out for B'lorn. No doubt he'd be around shortly.

Yisith stretched her neck out, keen eyes scanning over the sands, whirling bright green. Patently ridiculous, this was. And then - crack. "First one's hatched." It would shortly be getting underway, then.

****

Up on another ledge, Soleth mantled her wings, hissing at the dark. "I don't like this! Too much can go badly! What if someone attacks the eggs? What if the dragonets attack the people? D'lin-mine, this is all wrong."

"You'll just have to keep an eye out, won't you? D'lin thought back reassuringly, from the place in the stands he'd took. He couldn't actually see much, even with his glowbasket, but moral and cheering support was still important. He knew he'd been less nervous when there had been riders standing by, during his turn. "It can't go too terribly so long as all you dragons are on the lookout. Just speak up if something looks bad."

"Ohhh, you have no idea, D'lin!" Had Soleth still been weyrling-sized, she would've probably hopped around in frustration on the ledge, but as it was, she was starting to get... rather big. "No eggs of mine will ever hatch in such dangerous conditions!"

"Saying that is almost ensuring it'll happen, Soleth. Just watch, it'll be fine."

She hissed again at D'lin's attempt at reassurance, but sort of settled down for the moment, eyes open and head darting every which way in an attempt to look every way at once.

****

At the sound of the Marco-Polo-ing going on, Rhaetia grinned to herself. It would've been mean to interrupt the attempt to find each other, so she refrained from throwing her own 'polo!' out, even though the word itched at her throat in an attempt to escape. She distracted herself by waving - probably rather ineffectively - at the other lady-candidates as they pooled over to the sands. "Evening, dearies!" she greeted, cheerfully. "Lovely time for a hatching, eh? But you know what they say, babies always pick the worst time to come. I'm surprised it's not storming, honestly!" That would've truly put the icing on the cake.

And then they were joined by the first hatchling.

Rhae's eyes widened, before squinting down again, trying to see which figure it had twined around. "Oh! Holli-dearie! Is it...?" Had Holli been the first lucky person of the day - er, night?


--------------------
Weyrlingmaster Rydia of Green Yisith (74b550)
Wingrider D'lin of Garnet Soleth (7E010C)
Chem 'Geer/Weyrling Rhaetia of Brown Ixioth (6d210a)
Merc Security Officer Erin Samus of Hybrid Yautme (216570)
Master Smithcrafter/Wherling Torinar of Iron Torinarsk (bold)
Journeyman Harper Cerian
Communications/Cryptanalyst Lt Lilith Jackson%mh%24%mh%
top
Admin
Posted: Jun 16 2011, 11:31 AM


Administrator


Group: Weyrleaders
Posts: 44
Member No.: 1
Joined: 8-April 11



More eggs were rocking vigorously now, as if spurred on by the first hatchling's refusal to Impress. But it was the Perseus egg that hatched next, splitting open and spilling egg-goo and dragon onto the dark sands. This newborn did not lie still as the first one had, but scrambled immediately to its feet, shaking off vigorously like a dog trying to expel excess water from its coat. Once the sand and egg-goo were cleared off, the tall gawky hatchling stood square with wings partway unfurled, framed in the faint lights coming from the stands.

Even in the darkness of the sands, this one's color was unmistakable.

Every glow, every artificial light, even the faint starlight trickling in through the opening in the top of the Hatching Caverns glimmered off the silver hide as if it were a living mirror. The newborn silver stood poised for a moment, head cocked curiously, as if listening for something. Then, with a triumphant bugle, he took off running towards the girls. There was nothing particularly aggressive about his pace - reckless perhaps - but... wait. Hold on. Something was wrong. His was not over there! What was going on?

He changed direction at the last minute, narrowly avoiding the front line of girls. The big silver damn near tripped over his own wings nonetheless, skidding to a halt inches away from Kejuli before reversing direction altogether. Over there! His was over there! What was His doing over there?

Boys were shouldered aside left and right as the silver went to entirely the wrong side of the Candidate crowd. Poor Vityai would be more-or-less blindsided, run over by an impatient clumsy silver. Nothing serious, just scratches and bruises from an overeager dragonet running him down, before moving on to the true destination. There, over there! Everything was so dark, the hatchling had just gotten confused for a minute, that was all.

Zelnick? Zelnick! Your Perseth is here! I'm sorry I had a little trouble finding you. It's very dark. Is it always so dark out here? Are we in space?


--------------------
%mh%475%mh%
top
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (14) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »
reply
topic
poll



Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2188 seconds | Archive
"Venus Doom" skinned by squidface of RPG-D