<a href="http://sunsetweyr.proboards.com/index.cgi"><img src="http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/spamfilter1986/Sunset%20Weyr/affiliateb.jpg" border="0" alt="11th Pass AU"></a>
We are a new AU semi-canon 11th Pass Weyr whose story diverges from canon during the events of The Skies of Pern
. Humans were so shocked and dismayed by the comet that struck Pern that they never realized a similar
comet had impacted with the Red Star, near-simultaneously. Over the Turns that followed, Starcrafter calculations revealed that the Red Star was coming closer rather than moving further away.
Of course, no one wanted to accept it for a fact, but the Tenth Pass- lasting longer than any before it- opened their eyes to the truth. Thread isn't gone, and its cycle is less predictable than before.
In more recent
history, construction began to turn Mt. Sunset into a habitable Weyr when the dragons' population started to increase beyond the capacity of the other Weyrs to house them. The Red Star loomed ominously, but Thread didn't begin on schedule... for which the riders were understandably thankful. It gave the stonesmiths a chance to finish rough construction on Sunset Weyr. Then, something happened that defied all logic.Every last Weyr on Pern fell asleep one night, and woke up a Turn later. Nobody could get near enough to see what was going on... and nobody that was there has the slightest clue what happened.
The official position was one of "move forward and don't look back." Since the event was unexplainable, there was no point dwelling on it. Rogue riders and weyrholders were utterly unaffected by the event, further complicating matters. Lemos Hold was fervent in its relief that the Weyr's mystery seemed to be over.
They only had a few weeks to prepare before Thread caught them, during which the only gold at the Weyr had an out-of-season Mating Flight. Fortunately, winter's cold brought a respite from the silver rain, to let dragonriders everywhere review what works and what doesn't, and which drills most effectively simulate Threadfall. Weyrwoman Ponoa and her gold Brinleth (the only gold the Weyr had
at the time) followed their weyrmates between
, leaving a newly-laid clutch on the sands. Three green dragons stepped forward to incubate the eggs, displaying maternal instincts no-one could have guessed they would possess. Now, they are refusing to chew firestone for drills, claiming it makes them physically ill.
A temporary weyrwoman, Kadia of gold Rusith, has come to try and scrape things together before spring and the return of Thread. The "Present from the Past" clutch is hardening rapidly. What is remarkable is that not one, but two
sparkling eggs grace the Hatching Cavern. Both are widely hoped to be queen eggs, but tragically, there are nowhere near enough Candidates- even for such a small clutch.
Also, another goldrider* is due to arrive soon, which is a mercy- Kadia has no interest in being responsible for an entire Weyr.
Sulee, an NPC gold flitter, needs NPC male suitors. (Consider this a practice flight in miniature.) The resulting clutch will be PC!
What we offer:
- Two initial contests- *"Create a goldrider" and "Create an alien species"
- A blend of storyteller and player-driven plots
- A friendly, literate environment
- Four atypical colors planned during the first Turn of play
- Flow of IC time is directly influenced by certain plot threads- earlier completion means quicker advancement to the next season
- Fuzzy time (any thread started during a particular season can be completed at will with no penalty; you may also choose to post a thread that happened "before" certain plot events, such as searches before Hatchings)
- The color of the male that Catches a gold dragon or flitter only affects the number of viable eggs
- Sizes for every color overlap at least one other color's range, and more often several
- Two behind-the-scenes, password-protected IC boards for secret plots leading up to Weyr-wide events (passwords will change at the conclusion of each)- access will be granted to participants only
- Players may indicate what colors they would like to Impress, from most to least, on candidate applications
- Personality-based Impressions; potential for players to write their own hatchling profiles in the future after Impression
- Intensive but malleable plot planned for the first IC Turn or so, involving clutching greens, human triplets, aliens, dangerous creatures found between, firelizard egg hunts, and random acts of Nature - to name a few
- Adoptable NPC system
- Staff 'salary' system
- Five Marks' pay per IC post (automatic)
- Shifty Trader interaction, where lottery tickets and treasure maps may be purchased at your own risk
What we're looking for:
- Active players
- Active staff
- A pregnant female greenrider (immediate PLOT)
- A female brownrider (near future PLOT)
- Triplet player volunteers (near future PLOT)
- Three riders of clutching greens (future PLOT; one *could* be the female greenrider mentioned above)
- A goldrider's 16-Turn-old daughter (future PLOT)
- Weyr and Hold-folk
- "Villain" types
- "Doomed" characters (secretly doomed)
We hope to see you soon.