InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to ONTARIO SASQUATCH/OWFR. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

OWFR expedition Blind River
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 02:43 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Folks we have a group of OWFR members heading up to the Blind River area and we are happy to report that we are going to try and do a realtime / neartime feed right here to the forum. As messages come in from our team they will be posted into this thread. If you wish to communicate back to the team, comment or ask questions, post them in this thread and we will see their response come in when possible.

We are dealing with a pretty rural area so communications may be limited at some locations. Lets wish the team the best of luck!!

When: April 28th to May 1st
Where: Blind River, Ontario

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image

--------------------
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson
Peter Smith
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 04:24 PM

Pathfinder

Member No.: 3

The weather may not be too favourable,but we certainly want to get in there before the flies start, or the leaves for that matter. We checked the area last week, and the bush is very open right now. Visibility is good, even though the bush is quite dense.

There have been several Cougar and Sasquatch sightings in the area. We will be camping close to Bearhead Lake, where a daylight Sasquatch sighting was reported on the BFRO website. Hopefully, with the ground being very soft, and saturated right now, there should be an abunbance of tracks.

We will keep you posted.

--------------------
For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.
― Stuart Chase
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 03:18 PM

Administrator

As of 4:15pm, we are anticipating that Tim will arrive onsite this evening between 11pm > 12am, depending on the weather and other conditions. Tim will be reporting in once he begins his journey. The reports will be relayed here.

Jason

--------------------
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 09:22 PM

Administrator

UPDATE -

Just got word from Tim just after 10pm - He is leaving his house and he calculates that it is approx. 168 km to the destination at Blind River. He estimates about a 2 hour drive, give or take.

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 09:59 PM

Administrator

Update - Tim is passing through Nairn Center. He is making good time. Light Drizzle.

And a few moments later.....Passing through Espanola. Noted in his message that it is VERY dark - cannot see the moon.

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 11:43 PM

Administrator

**ARRIVED**

Tim has arrived at basecamp. Bear spotted at the trail entrance. Conditions are average. While he is not at the exact basecamp location, he is about 300 yards away. Right now he is weighing his options as to whether or not he is going to stay with the bear being around, possibly approaching the vehicle while he sleeps, or move to another location for the evening.

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 12:17 AM

Administrator

Update:

Tim is getting ready to hit the sack. Needs to move about 400 yards away from base camp to send messge / get reception.

Next report tomorrow morning.

G'night folks!

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 09:38 AM

Administrator

UPDATE:

Received word from Tim. Clear sunny sky over base camp. Night went well. Looking forward to the rest of the crew arriving. Perfect squatching weather.

Great to hear Tim!

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 11:49 PM

Administrator

UPDATE

Heard from the group. Big wolf tracks, porcupine caught up close and personal in a video...LOL.

Tim pointed out that it is a low to no signal area so reports will be scarce.

J

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: Apr 30 2011, 10:02 AM

Administrator

UPDATE

All is well - low signal reported. Audio recorded all night. Heading out now to do some exploring. Note that this was rcvd earlier in the day as we are having some text messaging delays with the phones going in & out of service.

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: May 1 2011, 08:15 AM

Administrator

UPDATE

Received a few messages from Tim - The team is up there and we have a video report showing that conditions are favorable and all is good. Nothing more to report at this time, they have a very poor signal so I am assuming that they go to a specifica spot by base camp to send and receive, then they go about their day.

(Wink wink nudge nudge to the cell providers...Put some more towers up!!!)

--------------------
Jason Goldring
Posted: May 1 2011, 06:29 PM

Administrator

Nothing yet from the group but I am sure that we will get a report soon once they get back to camp, unless a squatch got to them!!!! LOL!!!!

Weather forecast has changed three times today for that area, from rain, to partly cloudy, back to rain. Will be interesting to see what actually happened up there....

--------------------
Kite-Squatch
Posted: May 3 2011, 03:14 AM

Swift Cougar

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

FWLIW, if you can't get good cell coverage on an expedition, I've read that 'Ham' radio operators have used kites to lift wire aerials (antennas) to improve range. I'm NOT an amateur radio ' type' - I'm not even IN Canada <g> - but if anyone in the group is a Ham, maybe you might want to check into it.

Of course, an amateur radio operator would probably already know that, so what I'm suggesting is really 'academic'....

My two cents. 'Nuff said....

-Allan, aka KITE-Squatch
N.E. North Carolina, USA

PS I was briefly part of an expedition...recently. One thing I thought of trying - though I was never able to do it - was to use a kite-lofted aerial just for reception. Some of the folks I go out with use those RCA <?>-type 2-way radios (I don't own one myself). They've had trouble receiving when someone travels some distance away. Using a kite-lofted aerial *might* improve reception, which could be crucial in case of an emergency in the field. More 'food for thought'....

--------------------
KITE-SQUATCH: “In the environment on the planet Venus, you would be crushed, corroded, & burned - all at the same time.”

MRS. KITE-SQUATCH: “That sounds like a night of hot sex....”
Jason Goldring
Posted: May 3 2011, 09:45 AM

Administrator

It was a real hit & miss according to the group and I know that Tim is on Telus - He had coverage but it was spotty at best, as you can see from the picture attachment anything north of Blind River has little / no coverage.

I like the idea of floating an aerial up onto a kite. We have used walkie talkies with moderate success for local communications and we have sourced out a resource that sells very cheap two-way GMRS radios that have a detachable antenna (unlike the typical FRS radios) so that an external antenna can be used. Past experience with these sort of setups have been promising.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image

--------------------
Peter Smith
Posted: May 3 2011, 06:17 PM

Pathfinder

Member No.: 3

I wish we had had that coverage map with us. Just above the word "Blind River" is a dead area, shaped like a fist and thumb. We were on the NW corner of that small lake.

So we had coverage all around us, just not where we were at.

We travelled on the trails NNE of the base camp, so we had coverage for most of the time, just not at base camp.

We will have to check coverage maps in future, before we setup camp.

--------------------
For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.
― Stuart Chase
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Upcoming Events | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2165 seconds | Archive