Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Nicki Clyne Fan Site. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Thinking of writing some Fan Mail, but i dont know how...
AvianAzure
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 02:48 PM

Curious On Looker

Group: New Members
Member No.: 264

So i was reading the fan mail forum and being extremely jealous and I'm currently debating as to whether or not I should write to her myself. I have a few questions however...

1) How would i do this? I live in Des Moines, Washington for reference.
2) What would i say?
3) Is there anything special I'd say to get a hopeful picture back?

Yeah overall I'm a mess and i wasn't sure if i should post this here or in the fan mail thread so i decided here first would probably be logical. And yes this is my first time writing fan mail or will be but Nicki is definitely worth it. So yeah any and all help from you guys will be GREATLY appreciated.

--------------------
user posted image
Lex
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 03:36 PM

German Ambassador

Group: Admin
Member No.: 59

I never wrote a real fan letter to a star. Just keep it normal, like a letter to a person you personally know, a respected person. Say how much you appreciate her work, but don't exaggerate it. Don't claim she's the greatest actress in the history of television, or something like that. Be honest, tell her what you like on her acting.

And don't hesitate to write something about yourself. Maybe send a photo, that's always nice.

Best thing for getting a response is to include an empty envelope with your address and enough postage on it, maybe even a picture to sign.

--------------------
"You know, in Germany, they like saunas and baths and they don't generally wear clothes"
Pedda
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 10:29 AM

Admin der Maiskuchen

Group: Admin
Member No.: 63

Judging from
- my own experience (met Nicki at a German con two years ago),
- reports about her recent convention appearances,
- and the content and style of her blog
Nicki is really cool with the fan aspect of her life and enjoys most of the attention, I guess. Hence, I'm sure he'd be happy to read your letter and send you an autograph.

Well, like Lex I have never written genuine fan mail, but like Lex I don't shy away from giving advice anyway. laugh.gif Actually, a similar question was asked over at the Luciana Carro Fan Board, and here's a modified version of what I came up with back then:

---

As for the content in general, Lex emphasized the need for keeping it decent and normal already.

Regarding the specific, personal content, however, there are necessarily huge differences between one fan and another, depending on how you became a fan, which of her productions you saw, which of her interviews you read, which interests or traits you share, and what kind of connection you may feel.

It certainly need not be a whole essay or something like that. A succinct letter might do the trick as well (that is, convey your feelings of general and particular appreciation for whatever is relevant in your case, and maybe even include some polite questions).

I understand that we are rarely asked or supposed to express appreciation for (or acknowledge inspiration by) a particular person in such a compact manner in real life. Let alone for a person who lives so far away. On top of that, one may feel uneasy because of the alleged "immaturity" of being a fan (read Solium's essay to quell these infidel thoughts wink.gif).

Once we're eventually writing fan mail, all of this may result in an unusually emphatic and/or introspective style which we are simply not accustomed to. That's not necessarily bad, though. Well, hope this helps a little bit.

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing, so don't blame me if you're getting a restraining order in return. wink.gif

--------------------
"What, you didn't know?"

Luciana Carro Fans
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1440 seconds | Archive

Affiliate Links

Nicki Clyne's Official Blog

Luciana Carro Fan Board   Leah Cairns Official Web Site   Hangar Deck 5   Nicki Clyne Fan Art Site   Ragnar Anchorage

Katee Sackhoff Forum   Caprica City Galactica.tv   Galactica Station Blog