Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Nicki Clyne Fan Site. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

German dub of Cally, With video
V
Posted: Jul 16 2006, 07:58 PM

Big Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

German Cally

http://www.caprica-city.de/users/gaius/cally.avi

---

Lex, the trailer videos for BSG on Caprica-City.de are very interesting to watch; it's interesting to see the German dub on all of the characters.

Do you have any clips of the German dubbed version of any big Cally scenes of the first 2 seasons? Could you guys make any?

--------------------
Pedda
  Posted: Jul 20 2006, 08:16 AM

Admin der Maiskuchen

Group: Admin
Member No.: 63

Hey Merv! Unfortunately, Lex and I aren't tech-savvy enough to do the trick, but I'll re-post your request in our forum.

--------------------
"What, you didn't know?"

Luciana Carro Fans
Pedda
  Posted: Jul 20 2006, 09:36 AM

Admin der Maiskuchen

Uh... do you have a preference for a certain scene? I already got someone to do it.

--------------------
"What, you didn't know?"

Luciana Carro Fans
Solium
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 05:42 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Wait! Nicki can speak German! I saw and heard it myself! Well ok, it was one line.... tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Lex
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 01:59 AM

German Ambassador

Member No.: 59

Yes, Nicki speaks German: Check it out cool.gif

@mero: As Pedda said, we're working on it thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"You know, in Germany, they like saunas and baths and they don't generally wear clothes"
Solium
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 05:09 AM

Administrator

QUOTE (Lex @ Jul 21 2006, 01:59 AM)
Yes, Nicki speaks German: Check it out cool.gif

@mero: As Pedda said, we're working on it thumbsup.gif

I love that clip! Nicki is such a good sport. biggrin.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------
user posted image
V
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 07:58 PM

Big Fan

Uh... do you have a preference for a certain scene? I already got someone to do it.

Well, originally I just wanted to know when you were going to post the video trailers for Season 2 (episodes 1-10 of season 2), as the trailers for all of season 1 are already on the site.

However, if someone can make clips from within an episode, I guess I'd like to see moments that have had a lot of Cally talking in them:

I'd like all of these if the person has time, but one or two would be good:

33 (Season 1, episode 1)- the scene from the beginning of Cally and Tyrol argueing, when Cally says "Why do the Cylons always come every 33 minutes? Never 34 or 35...?"

Six Degrees of Separation (Season 1, episode 6): When Cally is reading off Starbuck's notes on the Raider to Tyrol, and she says "Starbuck's notes on the Cylon Raider are a mess! She said the engine power-up sequence began... "By squeezing something that looks like a red ligament with blue veins on the right side... coming out of a sack of gooey fluid... shaped like a dog".

Valley of Darkness (Season 2, episode 2): "Talk to me you Motherfrakker!"

Fragged (Season 2, episode 3): Scene where Baltar is criticizing Crashdown's plan, and Cally says "I just joined up to pay for dental school"

Resistance (Season 2, Episode 4:) - Entire scene where Cally and Baltar are walking through the halls and Baltar is also talking to Six, and Cally blackmails Baltar
-Scene where Cally and Jammer are yelling at each other in the new brig.

--------------------
Pedda
  Posted: Jul 24 2006, 06:16 PM

Admin der Maiskuchen

Thanks to my CC colleague gaius, I present to you the following file which features all of the S2 scenes mentioned above:

http://www.caprica-city.de/users/gaius/cally.avi

The German lines differ from the English original, of course. This is due to the usually limited knowledge of the translators, an unexplainable preference for relatively stiff style, an avoidance of expletives and also due to the attempt to match the movements of the lips.

For example, "Talk to me, you motherfrakker!" was translated to "Reden Sie mit mir, Sie bloeder Arsch!" ("Talk to me, you stupid ass!"). Please let me know if you are interested in a detailed German transcript and an English re-translation.

P.S.: I'm afraid we won't upload German S2 episode trailers before November (when S2 will air in free TV for the first time).

--------------------
"What, you didn't know?"

Luciana Carro Fans
Solium
Posted: Jul 24 2006, 06:57 PM

Administrator

"Talk to me, you stupid ass?"

Is Motherfrakker considered obscene in German television codes? It should go right over the censors heads like it dose in the US tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
V
Posted: Jul 24 2006, 09:13 PM

Big Fan

Please let me know if you are interested in a detailed German transcript and an English re-translation.

Indeed I would smile.gif

--------------------
Lex
Posted: Jul 25 2006, 02:02 AM

German Ambassador

Member No.: 59

QUOTE (Solium @ Jul 24 2006, 06:57 PM)
Is Motherfrakker considered obscene in German television codes? It should go right over the censors heads like it dose in the US tongue.gif

Well, "motherfrakker" is the BSG version of "motherf***er". You can translate this into "Mutterficker", but that's not a very common insult in Germany. I never heard anyone using this word.

more common are the German translations of "son of a bitch", "jerk" or "asshole"

...damn, I never used so much bad words in a post before rofl2.gif

--------------------
"You know, in Germany, they like saunas and baths and they don't generally wear clothes"
Pedda
  Posted: Jul 25 2006, 05:07 PM

Admin der Maiskuchen

QUOTE (The_Merovingian @ Jul 24 2006, 09:13 PM)
Indeed I would smile.gif

Alright, here we go. The second half will follow.

Valley of Darkness
(German title: Im Tal der Finsternis - In the valley of darkness)

Original

Cally: What do you say we take five? How much further, do you think?
Cally: Tarn getting shot, it wasn't your fault. You know that, right? Chief? Talk to me, mother-fracker!
Tyrol: "Mother-frakker"?
Cally: Socinus better appreciate this.
Tyrol: He's probably lying' in the sun like some gods-damn emperor. He's an idiot.
Cally: I hope he's okay.
Tyrol: He'll be fine. He's a tough kid. We just, got to get him the med kit. Yeah, we got to go, Cally.

German

Cally: Wie wäre es mit einer Pause? Was meinen Sie, wie weit noch?
Cally: Dass Tarn erschossen wurde, war nicht Ihr Fehler. Das wissen Sie doch, oder!?
Tyrol: Blöder Arsch?
Cally: Socinus weiß das hoffentlich zu schätzen.
Tyrol: Der lässt sich wahrscheinlich die Sonne auf den Bauch scheinen. Er ist ein Idiot.
Cally: Ich hoffe, er ist okay.
Tyrol: Das glaube ich schon. Er ist ein tougher Junge. Wir müssen nur den Arzneikasten zu ihm bringen. Also gehen wir, Cally.

Re-translation

Cally: What about a break? How much further, do you think?
Cally: Tarn getting shot, it wasn't your fault. You know that, right? Chief? Talk to me, you stupid ass!
Tyrol: Stupid ass?
Cally: Hopefully, Socinus appreciates this.
Tyrol: He's probably letting the sun shine on his belly. He's an idiot.
Cally: I hope he's okay.
Tyrol: I think so. He's a tough boy. We just, got to get him the med kit. So let's go, Cally.

Fragged
(Die Gesetze des Krieges - The laws of war)

Original

Baltar: He's crazy, I'm not trained for this kind of thing. I have never fired a gun in my life.
Seelix: I have not fired one since basic.
Baltar: You?
Cally: I just joined to pay for dental school.

German

Baltar: Er ist verrückt, ich bin für sowas nicht ausgebildet. Ich hab noch nie im Leben geschossen.
Seelix: Ich nicht mehr seit der Grundausbildung.
Baltar: Sie?
Cally: Ich verdien mir nur mein Zahnmedizinstudium.

Re-translation

Baltar: He's crazy, I'm not trained for this kind of thing. I have never shot in my life.
Seelix: Not since basic training.
Baltar: You?
Cally: I just fund my dentistry studies.

--------------------
"What, you didn't know?"

Luciana Carro Fans
V
Posted: Jul 25 2006, 05:17 PM

Big Fan

QUOTE (Solium @ Jul 24 2006, 06:57 PM)

Well, "motherfrakker" is the BSG version of "motherf***er". You can translate this into "Mutterficker", but that's not a very common insult in Germany. I never heard anyone using this word.

more common are the German translations of "son of a bitch", "jerk" or "asshole"

...damn, I never used so much bad words in a post before rofl2.gif

Don't they just say "Frak" in the German version? I'd have assumed they'd just say "Mother-frakker" like "Mutter-Frakker".

--------------------
V
Posted: Jul 25 2006, 05:21 PM

Big Fan

What I noticed was that Cally's german voiceover is a lot deeper and sounds like an older woman is doing it; in the original english one Cally has a high, "young", upbeat, cute and perky voice.

Is Cally really popular on Caprica-City.de? I wonder is she's still popular despite her voice and lines being so different.

--------------------
Knaves
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 06:45 AM

Cally Minion

Member No.: 68

Shying from the using of Frak may have something to do with language, but German also has a word, der Frack, which may have also played a role. It is a formal dinner jacket with tails. So saying mutter-frack (mutter also is seldom used with curse words) might come across much differently to the unenlightened.

Audiences of BSG and most Sci Fi would probably know the phrase(or trouble themselves to find out), but you never know what is going through the minds of the distributors.

Just a weird out of blue theory...it is one of those days.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1584 seconds | Archive

Affiliate Links

Nicki Clyne's Official Blog

Luciana Carro Fan Board   Leah Cairns Official Web Site   Hangar Deck 5   Nicki Clyne Fan Art Site   Ragnar Anchorage

Katee Sackhoff Forum   Caprica City Galactica.tv   Galactica Station Blog