Skin .Wiredvage designed by Zeus00 of the IF Skin Zone.
Mass Effect Universe News
Welcome to Mass Effect Universe! - Our forum has changed addresses! Check Site Information for details!
Welcome to the #1 Mass Effect RP!

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mass Effect Universe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ripway.com, Ripping you from your MEU experience.
Mr. Dust
Posted: 16 December 2011, 11:25 pm
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"We 'can' bring Gotham back!"

Group: Justicar
Member No.: 807

If you are reading this, you are either fortunate, or this... ermm.. 'epidemic' has subsided.

For the uninformed, there appears to be a "bug" [using the term loosely till proven, currently running a Full System Scan right now on my PC to see if the culprit is on something on my end.. for me] going around on MEU that is redirecting people to some shonky website about anti-virus, web domains.. the usual crap one might find in a pop-up or suspect e-mail.

It had.. for a brief time, seemed to have passed by, but now it has returned which makes me wonder just wtf is going on. Anyway, here's where it seems to be directing people like me, Glein and Trekkie.

CLICK AT OWN RISK!
At the time of writing, there appears to be no malicious content on the site, it's just a freak of nature for the moment, though some of you may have noticed that for the longest time, while MEU is loading that it'll mention --'ripway.com'-- in it's process of loading everything up, could be that this has been a long existing problem and that it's only just now gathered enough strength to be an inconvience. Speculation though..

DANGER -> LINK <- DANGER

It seems to be an intermittent issue, coming and going like a... I dunno, a fart in a fan factory.

Consider yourselves informed.

EDIT: Clicking "stop" on your browser right after it's loaded a thread will stop it redirecting you to the site, however, short of impeccable timing, you likely won't have access to cbox when you do this.

This post has been edited by Mr. Dust on 17 December 2011, 01:45 am

--------------------
[TCZ],,,[/TCZ]
/PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK\
user posted image
Link -> Dustpendium <- Knil
Friends with Benefits / Acta non Verba / Homefront / Belly of the Den / Blue Suns Rising / Vocal Point / Dangerous Synergies / Ad Pondus / Another Day
x_X NECRO Hitting the Books, Random, Slow Fuse, Dust Settles THREADS X_x
Other Stuff: No more interviews, list is full and final. Please help?
Words to Live By!, Other Words to Live By!

28 Nov 11, 08:39 PM Rasen: Dust is showing his aptitude for awesomeness
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Enterprise1701
Posted: 17 December 2011, 01:32 am

Geronimo, Number One!

Member No.: 130

This is really pissing me off.

And I don't get pissed easily.

EDIT: I've done some research, and this seems to have happened on other boards due to codes on gadgets somewhere in the site. It seems to be site related, as far as I can tell, but I'm not expert.

--------------------
EVERYTHING'S HERE NOW[TCZ]Male,,,[/TCZ]
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Krim
Posted: 17 December 2011, 03:49 am

My vision is augmented.

Group: Agent
Member No.: 637

This is all kinds of stupid, honestly. Luckily, I -do- have impeccable timing :3

--------------------
Characters:
Volic'Skoi vas Kishakt - Quarian Cyberneticist
Kamirr Cilorai - Salarian Adept
Aava Daxis - Turian Bartender
The Custodian - Volus Vigilante
Marri'chal nar Rishoka - Quarian Sleeper Agent
judodave
Posted: 17 December 2011, 04:20 am

Executor

Group: Vanguard
Member No.: 896

Here's hoping that the issue will be sorted out before days end and that we can get back to RPing.

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,22,,[/TCZ]My character list.

Availible character list

Forum awards:

Member of the Month November 2010 (tied with Worpex)

RP of the month Nevember 2010 (started the thread)

user posted image
Viyu
Posted: 17 December 2011, 02:17 pm

Major

Group: Officer
Member No.: 1,318

CODE
<!---- Affiliates Bar End ---->

<script src="http://h1.ripway.com/godkillah/kodes/gender.js">
/* Evil Gender System
By Godkillah
Phantom-designs.net */
</script>

This might be the root of the problem. Went through the source code on the mainpage to get to the bottom of this issue. Unfortunately I can't change the code, only Rasen can.

--------------------
Character List

Luna Arwen: Schoolgirl and self-proclaimed theif
Princess Natalia Dlamini: C-sec Officer caught in her polka dotted panties!
Robin and Marian: Battle nun twins
Chezarina (Manami) Terre: Japanese psycho bitch
10 Nov 11, 03:59 AM

---------------------------
The Bogus Man: A classy song
Viyu: <_< its a song
The Bogus Man: Classy
Viyu: in the butt
Tauer Eisbär: What what what
Pandut
Posted: 17 December 2011, 06:39 pm

It's a stressful occupation.

Group: Head Keeper
Member No.: 813

Well, that's ironic. Back when I used to use Kaspersky as my main AV, every time I accessed MEU it would block an unknown source otherwise called "Ripway". In fact, that little code Viyu posted was part of the alert message... How very odd thinking.png.

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,17,,[/TCZ]
Character List
Unless stated otherwise, all artwork posted by me is NOT created by me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mr. Dust
Posted: 17 December 2011, 08:21 pm

Well I got good news, some more good news, and lastly some bad news.

Good News +: I finally finished a Full System Scan, found a trojan in some file which has since been purged into the abyss, but more importantly, it had nothing to do with my browsing... least.. s'far as my AV can tell.

Good News ++: As Trekkie itirated, it's happening to other forums as well, which means it's a growing known issue, which means sooner or later, someone will find a fix for it.

Bad News: No idea how long that "fix" is going to take to manifest... :/

--------------------
[TCZ],,,[/TCZ]
user posted image
Friends with Benefits / Acta non Verba / Homefront / Belly of the Den / Blue Suns Rising / Vocal Point / Dangerous Synergies / Ad Pondus / Another Day

Viyu
Posted: 17 December 2011, 09:51 pm

Major

Group: Officer
Member No.: 1,318

QUOTE (Pandut @ 17 December 2011, 06:39 pm)
Well, that's ironic. Back when I used to use Kaspersky as my main AV, every time I accessed MEU it would block an unknown source otherwise called "Ripway". In fact, that little code Viyu posted was part of the alert message... How very odd thinking.png.

Meeks might be able to tell you guys how to use HOST files to block it. Ripway doesn't load for me, and I think its because of what Meeks put into my computer after I bought it a few months ago. Ripway doesn't load on any of our computers.

Anyway, all I did was right click to get access to the page source and clicked ctrl F to find any traces of Ripway.com in MEU's source code. Other than the forum topic, that's the only one I could find. Unless I was careless and missed another source, I think that's where it's coming from...

But this problem needs to be fixed. Even if Meeks gives you guys the host file...which I'm not entirely sure if she can, other people who won't think to look here will be locked out. I'm not sure if sharing a host file reveals too much personal information about one's computer. But like I said, Meeks knows about that better than I do. thinking.png

--------------------
Character List

Luna Arwen: Schoolgirl and self-proclaimed theif
Princess Natalia Dlamini: C-sec Officer caught in her polka dotted panties!
Robin and Marian: Battle nun twins
Chezarina (Manami) Terre: Japanese psycho bitch
10 Nov 11, 03:59 AM

---------------------------
The Bogus Man: A classy song
Viyu: <_< its a song
The Bogus Man: Classy
Viyu: in the butt
Tauer Eisbär: What what what
Mr. Dust
Posted: 18 December 2011, 01:45 am

Getting IM's from people that say they can't access the site "at all", so I concur, something needs to be done pronto!

[Huh.. haven't seen that word used in a LONG time! laugh.gif]

--------------------
[TCZ],,,[/TCZ]
user posted image

Jet
Posted: 18 December 2011, 02:16 am

The obsidian fox in the night.

Group: Executor
Member No.: 1,381

some one go here and post the problem to the main invision service provider page.

http://if.invisionfree.com/index/

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,,,[/TCZ]user posted image
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
WorpeX
Posted: 18 December 2011, 09:58 am

The Book of WorpeX

Member No.: 828

I'm getting pretty good at stopping at the right time, but this shit is annoying. Those who want to access the cbox but don't have impeccable timing, click the following link:

http://cbox.ws/?n=3-2829048-9pragc

EDIT: Nevermind, my timing isn't as awesome as I thought. Either I fixed the issue using the host file or it went away.

Those who are unfamiliar with this tool, it is basically just a text file inside your windows folders which blocks or redirects any websites which are on the list. It is 100% safe to edit this file and it is very easy to do as well.

Those who want to access your host file, here is how you do it:

1: Open "My Computer"
2: Navigate to Local Disk C:
3: Click on "Windows" (Note: You may need to click on "View protected windows files" if asked.)
4: Click on "System32"
5: Click on "drivers"
6: Click on "etc"
7: Right click on the "hosts" file and click on properties. Be sure that "Read-only" is not checked. If it is, uncheck it and click ok.
8: Double click on "hosts". Windows will ask you to choose the file to open with.
9: Open with Notepad
10: Scroll to the very bottom of the list and add the following lines:

127.0.0.1 ripway.com
127.0.0.1 pagesinxt.com

11: Save and close. Right click your hosts file again, go to properties and click the check box for "Read-only". (This is done to protect outside applications from accessing your host file without your permission.)
12: Victory!

Again, I don't know if this will solve the issue, but ripway doesn't appear to be loading for me anymore and Viyu claimed it to work for her. Lastly, it didn't stop immediately after editing the host file, it took a few minutes.

EDIT 2: I just asked others and they say that ripway is still loading for them, so this must be a fix!

EDIT 3: Make sure you're a computer administrator. If you are not, scroll down to my next post for a work-around.

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mr. Dust
Posted: 18 December 2011, 06:23 pm

I can vouch that the above method works, well done Worp! laugh.gif

--------------------
[TCZ],,,[/TCZ]
user posted image

Pandut
Posted: 18 December 2011, 06:29 pm

I hate Windows 7. Despite me being the Admin, it will not let me modify the file without the Admin's permission.

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,17,,[/TCZ]
Character List
WorpeX
Posted: 18 December 2011, 06:48 pm

The Book of WorpeX

Member No.: 828

I found a fix for those who are having issues with administrator privileges (Windows Vista/7). This should work, in theory, although I haven't actually tested it myself. Other websites confirm that this works though.

Step 1. Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad application and then right click the notepad icon.

Step 2. Choose “Run as administrator” and then, while inside notepad, browse to folder (/windows/system32/drivers/etc) that contains the hosts file.

You can now edit and save that file in the same folder without any issues. To recap, the trick is that instead of directly opening a protected file in the associated application, you run the application first as an administrator and then open the file inside it.

--------------------
Pandut
Posted: 18 December 2011, 06:51 pm

Lol, I kinda don't have a "Run as Administrator" option. The only profile on my PC that I use is the admin profile, so I haven't a clue why it's not letting me edit system32 files.

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,17,,[/TCZ]
Character List
Guru VII
Posted: 19 December 2011, 03:01 am

Espionage Expert

Group: Agent
Member No.: 995

Worpex it does work, I know because I used this in the past.

Pandut, right click on notepad (the icon/program in your Accessories submenu) and choose run as adminsitrator... if you don't have that then you aren't running vista/win 7.

The reason it is so, is for added security, which is something that should be appreciated in this day and age. It prevents all sort of crap of installing on your computer without your permission, while on win xp, a program could access the host file and blacklist google.

--------------------
user posted image[TCZ]Male,,,[/TCZ]
Pandut
Posted: 19 December 2011, 03:24 am

QUOTE (Guru VII @ 19 December 2011, 03:01 am)
Worpex it does work, I know because I used this in the past.

Pandut, right click on notepad (the icon/program in your Accessories submenu) and choose run as adminsitrator... if you don't have that then you aren't running vista/win 7.

The reason it is so, is for added security, which is something that should be appreciated in this day and age. It prevents all sort of crap of installing on your computer without your permission, while on win xp, a program could access the host file and blacklist google.

Aaah! It worked! Victory! I have victorrrrryyyy!

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,17,,[/TCZ]
Character List
judodave
Posted: 19 December 2011, 03:51 am

Executor

Group: Vanguard
Member No.: 896

Thanks Worpex, worked like a charm!

--------------------
[TCZ]Male,22,,[/TCZ]My character list.

Availible character list

Forum awards:

Member of the Month November 2010 (tied with Worpex)

RP of the month Nevember 2010 (started the thread)

user posted image
Mr. Dust
Posted: 19 December 2011, 04:07 am

If there was a "Thank" button here, I'd click it for you Worp. wink.gif

--------------------
[TCZ],,,[/TCZ]
user posted image

EnigmaticStranger
Posted: 19 December 2011, 09:17 am

Resident Mysterious Stranger

Member No.: 788

Yes, it works! A thousand thanks to you, Worpe laugh.gif

--------------------
My character list

My ships: Prowler // CSV Chimera // PSV Provenance
My organizations: The Company of the Damned // Galactic Shipping and Securities // The Saints

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Many thanks to Asyla for awesome Pulse banner smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPages: (2) [1] 2  Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1617 seconds | Archive

User Legend
Spectre | Keepers | Justicars | Vanguards | Executors | Agents | Officers | Soldiers
Affiliates
RPG-D Free Domain Name - www.YOU.co.nr! Guns and Glory Ever More Heroes X-Men Redemption City X Dragon Age: Requiem Legend of Zelda: Exoria