InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Manage Meniere's UK Support Group. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, use of the Library and access to Employment Questions. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. You will receive a validation email in order to complete registration.
Join our Community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Need Helpf Regarding Benefit
guadacorte
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:11 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

Hi Guys
I returned to the uk in January after living for 20+ years in Gibraltar.
I returned as I was unable to continue working due to the disease. I was diagnosed about 17 years ago. My hearing has degraded massively in both ears in the last 18 months.
I also go through periods of daily drop attacks

I will be getting hearing aids this week.

The last four years have been a nightmare and now I may only get 2 "good" days a week. Hell I cannot even go to Tesco without getting an attack.

My question is how do I go about getting benefits. At the moment I am on Employment And Support Allowance backed up by a doctors sick note that expires at the end of April.

I really am not sure what I am supposed to do. Do I stay on ESA which at the current rate does not give me enough money a month to live decently or do I apply for DLA although I have read somewhere that I need to have been paying NI for at least 2 years.

I am getting really stressed out and not being able to hear well Is makeing things worse.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction
Barbara
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:46 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi Welcome to the group and we hope you will find us helpful

I will try and answer your questions in order but as you will no doubt be aware some of these benefits are about to change.

ESA- you will probably have to go for an interview and medical when this expires at the end of April but I think if it is re-awarded it might go up a little in due course.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBen...jured/DG_171896

DLA is shortly to become PIP but you can and should apply for this as well. DLA is hard to qualify for and the new PIP is going to be harder. DLA was never an out of work benefit. it was paid to help those in employment as well to have a better quality of life. I think DLA is still available until April 2013 but new applicants might already have to apply for PIP.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBen...eople/index.htm

I think, having come back from abroad, you will have to have been resident here for 26 weeks out of the last 52 so you may have to wait a little yet.

There are other things such as Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit which you might also be eligible for, but again you may have to wait 26 weeks. I am not sure about the NI requirement but I think if you are already able to get ESA you should at least enquire.
The Consumer Action Group Forum has advisors who will know more.
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

There is a site http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
you have to pay to join this site but they are good at helping you fill the forms in to get the best chance of winning your claims.

Sorry. A lot of sites to read through.

Barbara x

guadacorte
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:58 PM

Hi Barbara
Thanks very much for your fast reply.
Indeed it gives me material to read and more information.

From what I can gather I will have to wait until at least until the end of my ESA assessment phase and maybe a medical. The ent mconsultant at hospital said he was more than willing to provide information to the authorities about my condition should they require it.

Thans for you help

Regards
Craig
guadacorte
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 05:01 PM

Should I apply for DLA whilst serving my ESA assesment period?

Regards
Craig
Barbara
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 05:18 PM

Administrator

Simple answer- Yes.
You can download forms off the internet. Put the additional info that is not covered by
the form on to an extra sheet. Put in as much info and evidence as you can.
Be prepared to have to go to appeal as many are turned down initially. 40% of appeals are won.

Also:you mentioned drop attacks. You cannot drive if you have drop attacks.Inform the DVLA. When you have a letter saying you can't drive you can apply for a local disabled bus pass. (Like the ones for the elderly which give free travel)

Barbara x
guadacorte
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 10:12 AM

Hi
I have looked at the DLA form and its seems to be not suitable for someone suffering from Meniere's, rather for people who find it difficult to walk or get about the house.

Any tips on how to fill in the form would be helpful

Regards
Craig
Barbara
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 10:15 AM

Administrator

I will PM you Craig.

It might be worth speaking to a Disability Advisor at CAB. My local one helped me and came to an Appeal with me which I won. Not all areas are as good but worth trying.

Barbara x
sharon
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 09:16 PM

Trusted Member

Member No.: 3

Craig
It's not the actual condition you have that matters....it's how that condition impacts on your everyday life.

I agree with Barbara. If you are struggling in any way with the forms, I suggest you make an appt with someone from CAB.
If you are happy to fill them in yourself, make sure to answer every question fully....even though it will seem you are repeating yourself!

Good luck.
« Next Oldest | General Meniere's Disease Topics. | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0916 seconds | Archive