zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Manage Meniere's UK Support Group. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, use of the Library and access to Employment Questions. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. You will receive a validation email in order to complete registration.
Join our Community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Im A Newbie, MD
loopyloo79
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 04:40 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Hi all, my name is Lisa and im 32, got diagnosed with MD last week by the hospital after the doctors telling me it was Labrynthitis, i have had Tinitus now for 5yrs and just before christmas i started getting vertigo, it normaly last for the day and i end up having to sleep, i have had two occasions when i have woke up to it which was a bit scary considering i have two children.
I have currently been off work now for 6wks as i work with children and seems im having attacks every week the docs thought this would be best!
Also i have been told not to drive.
Im currently on Betahistine Hydrochloride but doesnt seem to help much at the mo as just feel like a zombie all the time :(
Dont seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel and am now also on anti depressants!
Plesae can you give me some advice xx
Barbara
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 07:08 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi Lisa,
Welcome to the group, glad you have found us. :wavinghand:

The first thing to say is don't give up hope because there are things that can help and many people get long spells of remission without symptoms. You won't find them on here because they are all out there living their lives to the full.

What dose of betahistine are you on? It is quite usual to take 3 x16mg and some people take more than this but not everyone can tolerate that. It also takes a little while for it to build up in your system.
Buccastem, a form of stemetil which you place under your top lip can be useful at the start of an attack to help ward off the sickness and nausea and isn't lost if you do throw up.
I am taking it that as the hospital have diagnosed you, you have had all the tests and nothing else has shown.

There are lots of well informed people on here who will answer your questions and give you support so please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Barbara x
Kath
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 08:37 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

Hi Lisa, hope you find this forum useful. Feel free to ask more questions at any time.
Barbara, has given you good advice. There are other medications that can be tried such as cinnarizine and there is also a relatively new medications out there called Arlevert. You could pursue either of these with you GP. Trouble is with Arlevert is that it can be quite zombifying in some people so if you are already saying you feel a bit zombified then this may not be the one for you. I wouldn't be without Buccastem now!

I was also prescribed antidepressents when my vertigo was raging in 2009 - one of the SSRI ones but I can't remember which. It's very common to feel depressed with this thing. I found I didn't get on with them and suspected they were making me more dizzy so stopped taking them and went down the exercise and councelling route. It's really difficult to do exercise, or feel like doing exercise when you are in a phase of dizziness but it seems to really help depression for me. By the way, I'm not advocating that you stop taking your antidepressents and don't do what I did and just stop taking them!

Have you found the Menieres Society yet? They were really useful for me when I had just found out I'd got Menieres and other people on here say the same. They do a great set of information leaflets on a verywide variety of topics and have a quarterly newsletter for members.

Sorry you are feeling down with it all Lisa. It does get better although it's really hard to feel positive about the future when you are in the thick of the attacks and dizziness spells.
all the best, Kath
loopyloo79
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 04:49 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Hi Kath & Barbara, thank you ever so much for your comments, i will def be looking into the Menieres Society.

Yes im on 3 x 16mg of betahistine, which i feel make me feel a bit :wacko:

Even though im getting every other symptom, so far i have only been sick once!

As for tests at the hospital i have so far had a head placement thing done which didnt work at the time, and i have got to go back next wednesday for more tests and a possible MRI Scan which i found quite worrying nailbiter

Is this something i need to accept that will stay with me now for the rest of my life???

Actually had a really good day yesterday which was gr8 as it was mothers day and we all got to go out, feel a bit guilty as my kids understand what im going through but i feel like they are missing out on things, so we made an effort and went out for tea :D

lisa xx
Barbara
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 06:40 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Hi Lisa,
Don't worry about the MRI this is only to rule out other things and will probably come back clear. If you are claustrophobic tell them before you go and they will help you with this.
Some people, who you will not find on here because they are out living their lives, recover completely or have remission for very long spells. Unfortunately it is not possible to predict who this will happen to. Others always have some degree of imbalance but you can live with this especially if they can get the vertigo under control. Don't let any one tell you to go away and live with this because there are things that can be done to help. Some of them are a bit drastic and need to be approached with caution as last resorts but neither you or Sam are at this point.
Stay positive and enjoy the good days like yesterday.

Barbara x
sharon
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 08:58 PM

Trusted Member

Member No.: 3

Hi Lisa
Welcome from me too
Barbara and Kath have given you some really good advice so there's not much I can add.....but will just say that Menieres attacks very often come in clusters....where you have a phase of feeling awful like the one you are having now, but then go on to have long periods of remission.
The head placement test sounds to me like the Epley Manouvre?
This would have only worked if it was BPPV rather than MD
If you are getting lots of vertigo attacks your consultant might suggest you try grommets. These are a totally non destructive treatment and many people find they are a great help.
Don't despair, as Barbara and Kath have said, there are many people with MD who can keep it under reasonable control and lead normal or very near to normal lives.
Glad you've found us and hope you'll find us useful
Sharon
« Next Oldest | Introductions | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1248 seconds | Archive