Galactica BS interview (fan Q&A session)All answers are available
Source: Galactica BSPart 1
This is a Q&A with Luciana Carro, the actress who portrays Lt. Louanne 'Kat' Katraine in Battlestar Galactica. The questions come directly from Luciana's fans, they were sent to her and she kindly took time out of her schedule to answer them. The staff of Galactica BS would like to thank Luciana and her agent Adam Levine, without who's help this would not have happened.
1. What was your favorite storyline so far with your character and why?
It hasnít aired yet. Youíll know why itís my favourite when you see it. The writers on our show are first rate so the storylines are always amazing. I have to say Iíve loved all my characterís storylines. Every time I get a new script I find out more and more about Kat and why she is the way she is. Sheís an extremely complicated individual. Sheís tormented and her issues run deep.
2. Kat emerged from her problem with stims to defeating Scar, dethroning Starbuck, and even becoming CAG of Galactica. How have lessons learned from her stim abuse helped her to achieve these feats?
I donít feel that it was her lessons learned from stim abuse that helped her achieve defeating Scar or becoming CAG. Those accomplishments are because of her drive. Kat has a lot to prove to herself. She carries a lot of weight on her shoulders. You will understand more in time.
3. Will your character Kat and Starbuck ever get past the macho bullcrap of who is better, and actually start working together and being friends? The two characters seem to have a lot in common.
Gods, I know!! Youíre right they have soooo much in common. I really feel that Kat loves Starbuck so much. Not sexually, (LOL. although that could be interesting since there are no same sex relationships on our show yet) but as a sister. Deep down, Kat really admirers and has a deep love and respect for Starbuck. I once heard that when you really hate something about someone its because you see that same character fault within yourself. I believe that to be true between Kat and Starbuck.
4. Will Kat ever get a love interest?
LOL. Gods I hope so! I think she should hook up with Bill Adama! Why? Because my mother loves him! LOL JJ - Anders Öor LeeÖare more Katís type.
5. Now for my question, I'm amazed at how you've managed to put such depth into what just started out as a background character. Not getting personal of course, did you use your own experiences to flesh out Kat as a person or did you imagine yourself in her life to give her depth?
Both! A lot of the inner turmoil and conflict that is part of Kat exists in a lot people. We all have insecurities and are constantly trying to inspire ourselves and live up to our own expectations. These insecurities sometimes manifest themselves into aggressive behaviour.
6. How does it feel as an actor to have impressed the writers/producers of the show so much in what was going to be a bit part, that they decided to make said character a more important cog in the show?
Iíve been super blessed. I got hired onto BSG almost 3 years ago as a daytime player. I had just been acting professionally for only about a year and a half. In the Act of Contrition episode, I came onto BSG as one of the newly recruited nuggets. After going through pilot training, Starbucks told us that we were horrible pilots. She nearly kicked us out of pilot training. But we kept trying even harder because we wanted to be pilots so bad. That is how I approached my role on BSG. I wanted to be part of BSG so badly and I really loved the Kat character. Although the part of Kat was very small at the time, I put everything I had into the character. I am grateful to the writers/producers/directors for allowing me to expand on Kat.
7. I was wondering where you would like to see the character of Kat go? Do you have any ideas or predictions about Kat's future and/or fate? Any preferences on the future of the character?
What I love about Kat is that she is a fighter, a warrior. She speaks her mind and has trouble with authority. Sheís a bad ass!!!! She has the characteristics of an Indigo child. LOL. Much like me during my adolescent years. There is however another side to Kat, a more feminine, vulnerable and softer side. In the episode Scar there are some really beautiful scenes that never made it into the final cut. Scenes that I feel would have allowed the audience to see that side of Kat. Iím not really sure why those scenes ended up on the editing room floor. My guess is that it might have made the show to sappy. There was this beautiful scene in the locker room between Kat and Starbuck right after the Scar fight that brought the writers David and Bradley, Michael Nankin, our director, and pretty much everyone to tears. There was no dialog in the scene. Just silence and stillness. There was so much going on in that silence. I would really love to see the writers expand that more. As an actor sometimes itís hard to always play the loud mouth big shot. Some times when Iím shooting a scene with Katee and weíre arguing or bickering about something, in my head Iím thinking, ďCan we just hug this out or something!?Ē LOLPart 2
8. I would love to know what other characters on the show you relate to most besides your own, and if you relate to the character you portray at all or if there is someone else on the show that is more like you.
I believe that in essence we are all one so I see myself in everyone, whether itís a character Iím playing, a random person I met in the line up at Starbucks or the homeless guy that sleeps in my back alley. I relate to all the characters that I play. They all have a big part of me in them. I imagine myself, Luciana in the characterís situation. Of course I wouldnít always react the same way that Kat would but thatís what the writers have written so you have to find and justify within yourself why that character would say, do or react the way she does. I think the character that I relate to the most besides Kat would be Starbuck. As much as Iíd like to say that itís not true, I see a lot of myself in Starbuck.
9. Since I and others love your ringlets: Kat's hair went from shiny-bronze and curly in season 1 to black and increasingly straight in season 2 and now back to shiny-bronze in season 3. How come? Do you have any say in these matters?
Awww thank you! Unfortunately most hair stylists donít know what the heck to do with my hair. There is just soooo much of it! And its soo curly! I have no say on how they style my hair on the show. (Trust me Iíve tried!) Battlestar has a specific look for their pilots. A pony tail. As for the color and whether I wear it straight or curly depends on how I wore my hair for the first day of shooting at the beginning of the season. And thatís what Iím stuck with until the season is over.
10. What was your funniest or the most unforgettable moment on the set? Do you joke around like Aaron and Nicki do?
LOL! Bodie Olmos and I are always getting into mischief on and off set. Heís my partner in crime.
But Iíd say the funniest thing that happened on set was with me and the sound guys! We thought of something really hilarious for the gag reel. Just thinking about it cracks me up. LOL! We recorded something with the intention of looping it over something I had just shot. We were having a hard time recording it because we all kept cracking up. Tears weíre rolling down our eyes! We were almost hyperventilating laughing so hard! The crappy thing is they probably wonít use it!!! Itís too vulgar I think! LOL. It will probably forever just stay as an inside joke between me and the sound guys.
11. What made you decide to pursue an acting career?
My high school drama teacher was Gerry Campbell (actress, Neve Campbellís father). Iíll never forget it. It was my last year of high school, I was in history class and somehow he found out that I had decided that after I graduated I was thinking of going beauty school and becoming a hairstylist. He dragged me out of class by the collar of my shirt into the hall, and told me if I didnít at least try to pursue an acting career I would break his heart. He wanted me to go to theatre school. So I did and thatís where it all started for me. My love affair with the theatre and the camera continues to this day. Mr. Campbell has been one of my greatest inspirations.
12. If you weren't an actor what career would you be pursuing?
UmmmmÖwellÖ When I was a kid and people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up I used to say ďA veterinarianĒ. SoooÖmaybe a veterinarian? That would be cool. I have always had a great love for animals.
13. Outside of Galactica, what roles do you consider your best so far?
Playing Tanya on The Chris Isaac show was a lot of fun. It was one of the first acting gigs I ever booked. I had one line. LOL. But I guess I impressed the producers and writers that they made me Ansonís on and off girlfriend for 2 seasons. They started writing me in the show more and more and really started developing my character. The show only ran for 3 seasons. I loved it because it was a comedic role and I love playing comedy.
14. What do you find most challenging in your line of work?
I feel that challenges are what makes me grow as an actor and an individual. I always come out stronger and wiser in the end.
Probably what I find the most challenging in my line of work is the business part of this industry. Gods I really suck at promoting myself. Doing the whole Hollywood thing. What can I say? Iím shy. Also being away from my family and friends in Toronto. I donít get to see them that often. Maybe once or twice a year for a few days at a time. Some times I get really homesick.Part 3
15. In "Thirst", the fifth episode of "Smallville's" fifth season, your character Kayrin has some English lines, but also one line in Italian or Spanish. Unfortunately, none of the usually reliable transcribers got it. Would you please solve this mystery?
You know, I never saw that episode. I think basically I was calling her a drunken idiot in Italian.
16. I'm told the Al Pacino movies "Casino" and "Godfather" rank among your favorites. Is there a connection to your role on Pacino's "Two for the Money"? I mean, did you become an Al Pacino fan after that film or did you specifically ask your agent to search for a role in a production featuring Pacino?
There is no connection. It was sheer luck that I got to work with an actor whose work I admire so much. A dream come true. I have always been a huge Pacino fan and have loved every one of his movies.
17. When I read your interview in David Bassom's official companion to the second season of "Battlestar Galactica", I was surprised to learn that you auditioned with the help of your Xbox joystick. Funny story, btw!
Oh, the question. Right.
Well, would you please tell us what kind of games you play? Do you invite other people for gaming sessions?
Oh my gosh! Thatís funny! I donít play games. The reason I had a XBOX was because my DVD player had broken. I was pretty broke so a friend of mine lent me his XBOX so I could watch movies. Two weeks later I bought myself a new DVD player. Thanks Battlestar!!
18. Which do you find more satisfying, modeling or acting?
LOL. Oh youíre talking about the Dorinha photo shoot. I really wouldnít call myself a model although modeling is a lot of fun. Actually Dorinha, the designer for Dorhina Jeans, is a very close friend of mine. I met her on the set of White Chicks. Her clothing line is really popular across Canada. They are pretty much all I wear! She asked me if Id be interested in doing some modeling for her. To answer your question acting is my passion.
19. How do you rank you Battlestar Galactica experience with your other projects? I know you have pushed away some other projects because of your commitment to BSG. How many episodes will you be in Season 3 and which one do you like the best so far?
Ya its true I have had to turn down a considerable amount of projects this year because they have conflicted with my BSG shooting schedule but I donít regret it at all. I love the show Iím on. I love all the people that are associated with BSG.
I had to turn down something like 2 or 3 BSG episodes in season 2 because it conflicted with my Dr. Dolittle 3 shooting schedule. I was so heart broken. Than they offered me the Final Cut episode and when I read the script I told my agent ďYOU GOTTA MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!Ē And she did. Dolittle gave me one day off. I shot all my scenes in Final Cut in one day. That day was pretty intense let me tell u! But it was worth it.
20. What was the most remarkable encounter with a fan of yours you had so far? I know you've been to VCON 30 together with two other great BSG ladies, Jen Halley and Leah Cairns. Can you tell us about this experience?
Ooooh yes VCON. That was my first convention. Actually itís the only convention that Iíve been to. I was sooooo nervous! It was a great learning experience though. I had a lot of fun! Gave me a chance to meet and talk to the fans of the show. Whatís really remarkable to me is the amount of Kat fans out there! This show has such a strong fan base. Itís amazing but not surprising.
Some of my fans create these really cool cartoons of my characters and these cool banners and websites. They blow my mind!
Iíve been receiving a ton of fan mail; I do read all of it.
I get stopped in the airport a lot. The custom and immigration officials are big fans. They always want autographed photos and spoilers! Now when I travel I make sure to bring some autographed pictures. It makes them happy.
21. Would you attend other conventions?
Yes I would love to. There is nothing that I would love more than to meet my fans in person.
22. I've seen you on "Everwood". What was it like to join a cast when every one else is pretty much occupied with wrapping up? What can you tell us about your time on the set?
I got hired on the show with the intention of being Ephramís (Gregory Smith) new love interest. I was hoping the series would get picked up for another season but WB decided to go with 7th Heaven instead. We actually shot two different ending for the season finale. One if we got picked up for season 5 and another if we didnít. Well unfortunately we didnít get picked up so Ephram got back together with Amy. BOOO!! Working on Everwood was a great experience! I had so much fun. It was really refreshing for me to play a character like Stephanie. What I loved most about playing her was that she was a lovable character. She was cool and free of bullshit.