zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Luciana Carro. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

BSG Official Companions, Interviews and tidbits
FrostyJG
  Posted: Nov 5 2006, 12:32 PM

Touched by an angel

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11

user posted image

The Official Companion for season 2 contains some interesting background information and interviews with cast and crew, including a nice little interview with Luciana Carro. She talks about her character and the casting. It’s worth reading. Here is the transcript from the character section of the book:

“My character went from a rookie pilot to Galactica’s top gun,” says Luciana Carro of her role as Lieutenant Louanne ‘Kat’ Katraine in Battlestar Galactica’s second season. “I was so thrilled by what they gave me to do. I loved my character’s arc for season two.
“At the start of the season, we find out that Kat has been using stims to stay awake and keep her edge, and she’s actually become addicted to them – she almost kills herself when she crashes her Viper in ‘Final Cut’. But she goes through detox after that and comes back more determined than ever, which leads to her replacing Starbuck as the Galactica’s top gun.”

A young Canadian actress whose screen credits include recurring roles in the shows Everwood and Da Vinci’s Inquest, Carro made her début as Kat in Battlestar Galactica’s first season episode ‘Act of Contrition’. She was cast as Kat after auditioning for the show’s makers.
“I really wanted to be a part of Battlestar Galactica because I loved the original series – I watched it as a kid – and the new show is just so fantastic,” she recalls. “I also liked the sound of my character: she was described as someone who was feisty and determined and had a lot of attitude; she’s someone who likes to test authority.
“When I read for the role, I went into audition with my Xbox joystick and used that as my Viper control pad,” she reveals with a laugh. “I guess that must have helped me stand out from the others!”

The following text is from the episode guide of the same book, Luciana talks about working on the episode ‘Scar’:

“I was jumping up and down for joy when I first read the script for ‘Scar’,” she reveals, “especially when I read the bit where Kat becomes top gun and the pilots are cheering, ‘Kat! Kat! Kat!’ I was really surprised and honored that my character was going to become top gun.
“It was a fun episode to do,” she continues. “Michael Nankin is a wonderful director and working with Katee was terrific. She is a fantastic actress and a very strong presence, so going up against her in those scenes was terrific because it keeps you on your toes. You have to match her, or else she’ll take you down!”

The part about the casting is quite funny, using a Xbox joystick in an audition is a cool idea. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I ate French fries from Lucci's plate

user posted image
manipulator
Posted: Nov 17 2006, 04:38 PM

Moderately neato

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Something I've noticed, which could be inferred from this interview (thanks for posting!) is that Lucci's talents tend to come out when surrounded by strong cast members. It's good trait for an up-and-comer to have. Some actors just can't take it to the next level when surrounded by real talent.

--------------------
user posted image
I named by Jeep Grand Cherokee Luanne
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 08:37 AM

Touched by an angel

user posted image

The Official Companion for season 3 is now in stores, and to my disappointment there is less Kat in it than in the companion for season 2.
While there was an interesting interview (see above) in the "Supporting Characters" section of the previous book, Kat is missing from that section completely. sad.gif
But there is a little interview in the episode description for "The Passage", although she says nothing she hasn’t already told us in other interviews. She talks about how she found out about Kat’s death and says that she likes the episode, though she would have wanted to remain with the show.
If there is demand, I could transcribe the interview.

In the episode descriptions, there are text fields labelled "Surveillance: Additional", which contain extra tidbits of information, sometimes more interesting than the main text. Two of them are quoted below. cool.gif
Here is one from "The Passage":

QUOTE (The Passage @ Official Companion S3, Surveillance: Additional, Page 66)

Following production on ‘The Passage’, an additional scene featuring Captain Katraine and Admiral Adama was written and shot for the expanded, two-part version of ‘Exodus’. Set directly before the New Caprica rescue mission, the scene saw Adama telling Kat he trusted her and was designed to emphasize her importance to the crew. Ironically, the scene ultimately didn’t make the final cut of the episode.

And here you have an exciting excerpt from the "Maelstrom" discussion, which answers the question whether one certain scene that was discussed in this thread was actually filmed or not: ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Maelstrom @ Official Companion S3, Surveillance: Additional, Page 93)

Luciana Carro was also due to make a brief appearance in the episode, but her scene did not make the final cut. “I shot a scene that takes place right before Starbuck dies,” Carro reveals. “It had Kat – or someone who looks like Kat – showing up in a brand new Viper at the end of the episode and telling Starbuck not to worry. I loved it. And it was a really nice surprise to be asked back on the show to shoot that.”

Hopefully these scenes are included in future DVD releases (the UK release didn’t include any deleted scenes). In my opinion it's a shame they cut these two scenes in the first place, I’m certain I would have loved them. wub.gif

--------------------

user posted image
Solium
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 09:45 AM

HO!HO!HO!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Luciana Carro was also due to make a brief appearance in the episode, but her scene did not make the final cut. “I shot a scene that takes place right before Starbuck dies,” Carro reveals. “It had Kat – or someone who looks like Kat – showing up in a brand new Viper at the end of the episode and telling Starbuck not to worry. I loved it. And it was a really nice surprise to be asked back on the show to shoot that.”

OMG! Does this mean Kat would have been an angel of some kind? Or maybe considered one of the final five before a rewrite??? ohmy.gif

--------------------
It came with shoes
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 09:49 AM

Touched by an angel

It would have been great to see Luciana again on BSG, no matter what she was.
What does this scene mean for Starbuck? What is the Starbuck who returned at the end of "Crossroads" in exactly the same way Kat (almost) returned in "Maelstrom"? Is she the Starbuck we know and was the person in "Maelstrom" the Kat we know, or are they something completely different?

--------------------

user posted image
Solium
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 07:58 PM

HO!HO!HO!

It would have been great to see Luciana again on BSG

I don't know if I should be happy or upset about this. On one hand, it would have been such a huge, wonderful totally unexpected treat if Kat had a surprise cameo. clap.gif

On the other hand it was cut out or written out anyway... sad.gif

--------------------
It came with shoes
Pedda
  Posted: Sep 21 2007, 03:53 PM

Lucci Worshiper

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (FrostyJG @ Sep 20 2007, 02:37 PM)
The Official Companion for season 3 is now in stores, and to my disappointment there is less Kat in it than in the companion for season 2. While there was an interesting interview (see above) in the "Supporting Characters" section of the previous book, Kat is missing from that section completely.

Oh, that's surprising! ohmy.gif I thought "The Passage" was ultimately proved Kat's ranking as one of the most important secondary characters. Strange. What about Vernon's Ellen, who was killed off even earlier? Does she get an interview in that section?

Anyway, thank you, Frosty, for leafing through the pages so quickly. thumbsup.gif Me I won't get this book before Christmas, I'm afraid.

Although I studied economics, I'm not sure whether one person constitutes demand already - but by all means! biggrin.gif

The revelations/confirmations of the two deleted scenes are pretty exciting, of course. yahoo.gif I remember reading about that on the other board, and I was stunned. What a wonderful thought that there are unseen Kat scenes out there, just waiting to be dissected and gushed over by us. wub.gif

Oh, Lucci, that is so sweet. And it makes it a little less painful to wait additional four or six months till the release of the US box.

Btw: I signed up on the legendary Facebook? yesterday, and one of the very first things I did was saying thank you to David Bassom for giving some us some juicy Kat stuff to talk about in his books. smile.gif
Pedda
  Posted: Sep 28 2007, 03:17 PM

Lucci Worshiper

QUOTE (Pedda @ Sep 21 2007, 09:53 PM)

Although I studied economics, I'm not sure whether one person constitutes demand already - but by all means! biggrin.gif

Just in case that was too ambiguous: Want, want, want! wink.gif
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 03:26 PM

Touched by an angel

Your request was noted, there just wasn’t time to transcribe it yet, sorry.

--------------------

user posted image
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 10:03 AM

Touched by an angel

Yesterday evening I noticed an OCR software was included with my scanner and I tested it with the official companion. The text recognition wasn’t perfect and so some mistakes had to be corrected manually, but it’s faster than typing the entire article. Hopefully I found all the mistakes, if not please let me know.

Anyway, here you finally have the interview with Luciana Carro and a few additional thoughts by Ron Moore:

QUOTE (The Passage @ Official Companion S3, Page 67)
Espenson's script was assigned to director Michael Nankin, who had previously helmed the pivotal Kat episode 'Scar'. Unfortunately, by the time the script was distributed to the series' cast and crew, neither Moore nor David Eick had managed to warn Luciana Carro about her character's demise. "I had no idea that was coming," Carro confirms. "I only found out about Kat's death from my roommate!
"I was flying from Los Angeles to Vancouver to shoot 'Unfinished Business' when my roommate called me to say she'd got the script for 'The Passage' and that it was centred around my character. She was so excited about my role and all the information that was coming out about Kat's background. When I heard about that I said, 'Can you do me a favour? Can you check the last page and see what it says ' And she said, 'Oh no... They've put Kat's picture on the Memorial Wall!' I was like 'What?!' I couldn't believe it. So I was there in the airport, crying. It wasn't the ideal way to find out, but these things happen."
"I do still feel bad about the way Luciana found out," Moore admits. "It was every producer's nightmare come true!"
Fortunately, once the initial shock of her character's demise had passed, Carro was thrilled by the way 'The Passage' allowed her character to bow out of the series. "I thought the episode was great," she states. "It gives Kat a very heroic send-off and it really explains a lot of things about her — why she had issues with authority and why she was always trying to prove herself. Kat always wanted to prove that she was a good person, and she does it in that episode. I thought that was great.
"Obviously, I would have preferred not to have been killed off," she notes. "I do feel there was a lot more they Gould have done with Kat. But I completely understand why they did it and my death scene was really great. I'd always wanted to do a scene like that with Eddie, where Adama is like Kat's father. That was actually the last scene I shot and it was very emotional.
"I was surprised by just how strongly the crew was affected by Kat's death," she adds. "When we were shooting the episode, several crewmembers tried to rewrite the ending to keep Kat's fate open. They suggested she was a Cylon, or a spirit guide, or something. They would give me these new pages of the script and I would be like, 'Don't give them to me, give them to Ron! '" she laughs.
As painful as it was for the cast and crew, Kat's heroic demise helped make 'The Passage' a strong instalment of season three. "I like 'The Passage' a lot," says Moore. "It's one of the most harrowing episodes we've done and I think the revelations about Kat are really interesting."

--------------------

user posted image
Pedda
  Posted: Sep 29 2007, 03:00 PM

Lucci Worshiper

Oh, neat idea with the OCR. thumbsup.gif Even though I own a scanner, I wouldn't have thought about that. Besides, I have no experience with OCR so I assumed there would still be far too much errors to correct manually. Anyway, thanks for putting it online. smile.gif

The text is a nice summary of many things we've heard in Moore's podcast and read in several of Luciana's interviews. Nevertheless, there are some new bits, all the emotions make me a little sad once again, and I've been particularly touched by these two parts:

So I was there in the airport, crying.

Poor Lucci. sad.gif At the risk of sounding clichéd, which place could possibly provide less support in a situation like this?

"I was surprised by just how strongly the crew was affected by Kat's death," she adds. "When we were shooting the episode, several crewmembers tried to rewrite the ending to keep Kat's fate open. They suggested she was a Cylon, or a spirit guide, or something. They would give me these new pages of the script and I would be like, 'Don't give them to me, give them to Ron! '" she laughs.

Awww, that's so cute. I mean, I remember we had some similar discussions and straws-grasping on several boards back when "The Passage" had just aired. And we all know what an emotional upheaval among the cast was caused by the rumor of Kara's death. Still, learning that the crew would feel similar towards a guest actress, that's really heart-warming.
Solium
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 03:07 PM

HO!HO!HO!

Thank you Frosty for publishing the interview! friends3.gif

Now I must remain quite because my blood boils every time there is a discussion about Kat's death or "Passage" in general. dry.gif

--------------------
It came with shoes
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 03:12 PM

Touched by an angel

QUOTE (Pedda)
Even though I own a scanner, I wouldn't have thought about that.

Me neither in the last week, or else I would have posted the interview sooner. And it was the first time I used an OCR software, it worked better than expected.

The part about her crying at the airport made me very sad, too. Poor Luciana. sad.gif

QUOTE (Pedda)
And we all know what an emotional upheaval among the cast was caused by the rumor of Kara's death. Still, learning that the crew would feel similar towards a guest actress, that's really heart-warming.

She was in a lot of episodes, so she was more than just a random guest actress. Still, after reading about the reactions of cast and crew following the "death" of Starbuck, I always wondered how they reacted to Kat’s demise.

@Solium: Sorry, I know how you feel and I know what you think about that episode. Unfortunately this happened, we can't change it now.

--------------------

user posted image
Pedda
  Posted: Sep 29 2007, 03:29 PM

Lucci Worshiper

QUOTE (FrostyJG @ Sep 29 2007, 09:12 PM)
She was in a lot of episodes, so she was more than just a random guest actress.

Granted, she appeared in one third of the eps up until "The Passage". However, as she noted in the Galactica Actual interview, Lucci was often almost alone doing green-screen during second unit. And even when she was allowed to interact with several actors, it was mostly the pilots and the Chief. In fact, she hardly had scenes with regulars such as Baltar, Billy, Boomer, Cally, Roslin, Six or Tigh. Hence my surprise.
FrostyJG
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 03:42 PM

Touched by an angel

You are right about that, but in most episodes she wasn’t limited to Viper scenes, and especially in season 3 she had quite some scenes were Sackhoff, Bamber and EJO were also featured. Additionally she was probably also present at the script read-through, I presume. As seen in the video blog for episode 2x07 (which unfortunately was Lucci-less), even Leah Cairns participated in the read through, and she had only a few lines in this episode.

--------------------

user posted image
Pedda
  Posted: Nov 19 2007, 05:29 PM

Lucci Worshiper

Alright, point taken. I wonder if Lucci herself once participated in one of these reading sessions. They appear to be quite light-hearted, but I'm not sure if Lucci would be dead serious - or trying to crack everyone up. wink.gif
FrostyJG
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 05:35 PM

Touched by an angel

Actually, I thought about asking whether she participated in these sessions or not at the Q&A, but then I thought this question would be too specific and not very interesting for the others.
And at the dinner, it would have kinda interrupted the flow of the conversation. I didn't want to start talking about her past work, when she was talking about her private life and her stage play.

--------------------

user posted image
Solium
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 06:54 PM

HO!HO!HO!

when she was talking about her private life and her stage play.

Oh, private life and gossip is always much more interesting! JK! wink.gif

--------------------
It came with shoes
Pedda
  Posted: Nov 20 2007, 01:51 AM

Lucci Worshiper

QUOTE (FrostyJG @ Nov 19 2007, 11:35 PM)
And at the dinner, it would have kinda interrupted the flow of the conversation. I didn't want to start talking about her past work, when she was talking about her private life and her stage play.

Absolutely right. thumbsup.gif But boy, just how long was your list of questions you didn't get to ask? biggrin.gif
Lex
Posted: Nov 20 2007, 03:50 AM

German Ambassador

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

I can imagine Frosty going all Columbo on poor little Lucci. "...just one more question"

rofl2.gif

--------------------
Why you should watch "VERONICA MARS"

The Doctor: History says there was an explosion here. Who am I to argue?
Rose: Usually you're the first in line.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0795 seconds · Archive

Affiliate Links

Caprica City   Luciana on Facebook   Luciana Carro Fans