Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Clock Crashers. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Toggle Sidebar

Horrible Histories, For Kelly/Isabella Castile
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 04:57 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Clock Crashers
Member No.: 34

This was Richard's first venture out of the labs since meeting Andrea Watson. It wasn't as though that had been a bad thing, quite the opposite. But there had been a lot to take in, even in those few steps outside the lab, and it had taken Richard some time to resolve to venture further.

Now he was slightly (the term here being used rather loosely) more used to his surroundings in the lab, he had taken to conversing more with the scientists when they came to check up on him. He had been quick to note surprise on the faces of some, but had soon discerned it wasn't from the fact he was talking to them, but from the manner in which he spoke, his character. It was as though they had expected something different. When he investigated the matter further, or tries to, one of the scientists (too busy to deal with the curiosity of a 15th century monarch, presumably) had answered simply with 'Shakespeare'.

It was a strange response, and one Richard had not understood until recently, when another of the scientists had had the time to explain he was a playwright. Well, that was a term Richard understood at any rate. At it was this that found him in the library at the Academy of Science that morning, determined to answer the riddle he appeared to have found himself in.

The library and the vast array of books would have been awe-inspiring had they not been so daunting, so new, so...2015. Books were nothing like this in Richard's day.

Luckily for the last Plantagenet king, Shakespeare was relatively easy to find. There was his Complete Works, his Sonnets, Anthony and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Othello... They were in alphabetical order, but they didn't seem that way to Richard....the look of them meant they appeared before his eyes in a blur, i no order whatsoever. Eventually, though, he adjusted to the perusal of the shelf. It only then occurred to him that yes, Shakespeare was a playwright, but which of these plays had anything to do with...

The Tragedy of King Richard III

It was with the strangest mixture of fascination and fear that Richard removed the book from the shelf. The cover page gave no clue as to its contents other than the title, which, although Richard expected this, made the prospect of opening it even more daunting.

But he did so, at length.

It didn't take him long...a page or so, if that...to realize just what those scientists had meant by referring him to this particular playwright.

ooc: Excuse the title; these books were my childhood and I feel its an appropriate name for this thread, all thing considered. Plus, they recently did the Richard III song; 'Tudor propaganda/It's all absurd/Time to tell the truth/About King Richard the Third' XD
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 09:48 AM

Group Icon

Member No.: 35

It had taken weeks before Isabella believed that this was not Hell and her immortal soul had not been damned, yet still when she studied her new reflection she was not always convinced that these were not the eyes of a demon who wished to trick her. Either way Isabella understood the importance of knowing thy enemy. Five hundred years had passed a Scientist had told her, all wrapped up in his strange white coat, well then, she has got a lot of learning to do.

At first she requested books be brought to her. Never one to shy away from making demands she hoped her new voice with its strange accent held the authority her true voice once did. She started with the history of Spain, her pride and her passion; she yearned to know what had happened to her family and her country. She had felt a stab of pain as she read Spain’s tumultuous story and a stab of guilt and anger when she read of the fate of her poor, sweet Infanta, her youngest daughter Catherine of Aragon, and her ill treatment in England.

It had taken weeks to become appropriately aware of the fate of Spain and many, many books and now she was ready to move on. She would take on British history next because if she wanted to understand this land they called America she must begin at the origin. Isabella had become tired of her room and the lab so decided to branch out into the rest of the academy. She had been politely informed by a young woman that if she was looking for books she should check out the library.

So that morning she had carefully platted and pinned her now darker hair in a style that she would have once worn underneath her crown and cautiously ventured from her room. When she reached the library she gasped, such a wide array of books in so many colours, nothing like she had seen before. She wandered the stalls, scanning the titles, there were so many choices. Eventually she found British history, she selected a few volumes that looked the most useful, and took a seat next to a large window that allowed the grey light of the clouds of this new world to pour in.

She started in the reign of Henry VII, she had been alive when he had taken the throne and she'd sent Catherine to the English court to marry his son to keep peace between their nations. As she read further she was shocked at the rocky and heretical reign of the Tudor’s. Who would’ve imagined that they’d cast off Rome and her daughter so easily. Isabella was almost relieved as she got deeper into the century and learned of her granddaughter Mary but sadden again by her fate. She had almost read one hundred years of British history (of course it was a brief recording, details could come later) to the end of the reign of Elizabeth I when she decided she needed a break and a drink.

Isabella was surprised when she rounded one stack to see a man engrossed in a book, she had thought the library was empty. He was dressed in clothes that she had learned were normal for 2015 but to her seemed ridiculous but he was not wearing the white coat of many of the scientists, he could very well be anyone. She caught a glimpse of his book, reading the words ’Richard III’ and Shakespeare. She smiled when she realised she’d just read about him, English playwright in the late Tudor period, and briefly thought about approaching the stranger. She hardly knew anyone in this place and it would be nice to have a stimulating conversation. Who knew what this man could teach her?

“Excuse me,” She spoke softly hoping not to startle this man from his reading, “I couldn’t help but notice your book, how are you enjoying it so far?” She was eager to know if this Shakespeare was as good as the historian of her book purported him to be.

ooc: they were mine too! Haha. Damn those Terrible Tudors! It’s nice to hear that they are coming over to Richard’s side XD
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 05:56 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

It was with a macabre sort of fascination that Richard made his way through the few pages that compromised Act One, Scene One. He was a quick reader and could have read more, were it not for the fact that almost every word he read felt like a mortal blow.

And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous...

Shakespeare was a playwright, Richard knew that. But he couldn't help but feel offended (indeed, more than that) that the man had chosen to portray him so. So engrossed was the last Plantagenet king by the script itself that he had failed to read the Introduction and Preface, to find out under which branch of the royal house Shakespeare had been writing. All that mattered to him was that Shakespeare had, in so few words, painted such a starkly wrong picture.

He hadn't been like that, he hadn't been deformed, he hadn't wanted to 'prove a villain' - he had been steadfast and loyal as any man could wish. How could Shakespeare have seen fir to write otherwise? Richard was so reeling from what little he had read of the play that it failed to register with him just why such an impression could have been formed in the first place. After all, it hadn't been he, King Richard III, who had won on Bosworth Field that day in August.

“Excuse me,”

Richard involuntarily gave a start; he had not expected to see anyone else in the library at this time; it had been empty, at least, when he had arrived. As if to accompany his start he closed the book one handed with a sharp snap (not that he felt he could stomach much more, even after Scene One). He turned to face the woman who had spoken and found his alarm increased slightly; she was not in the distinctive white robe the scientists favoured - she could very well be anyone.

“I couldn’t help but notice your book, how are you enjoying it so far?”

Now /there/ was a strange question. How was he enjoying reading a book that portrayed him as some sort of fratricide committing deformed villainous monster? Why yes, it was an absolutely spectacular read!

It then dawned on him that this woman, whoever she might be, would not recognize him by appearance alone; this body he was inhabiting was not his own. It was strange to have to recall that fact and it made the situation all the stranger. Richard should have known a rant was not the best way to make a good first impression, but he wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind at this point for pleasantries.

"I don't know who the hell Shakespeare thinks he is!" the former king snapped. "Under whose authority was he able to write such slander?"

ooc: They are and I'm so pleased. Speaking of which, I think he should discover the Richard III Society at some point in his research. XD
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 07:38 PM

Group Icon

Isabella frowned and crossed her arms over her chest as he began his triad. Who did he think he was, talking to her in such a manner? Didn’t he know who he was talking to?

Her internal flash of anger dampened slightly when she realised that of course he did not know who she was. Just as she did not know him. Although not the best way to for him to endear himself to her she decided she should just listen to what he has to say and then introductions could follow. From his words she concluded that he must also be a soul from the past, his ignorance on the subject of Shakespeare gave him away. She was under the impression from her reading that everyone knew Shakespeare and the bookcase next to them filled with his works was a testament to that.

"Under whose authority was he able to write such slander?"

Ahhh, there was the crux of the matter. This man obviously had not enjoyed what he had read in the play about Richard III, could he in fact be Richard the former English king? Was he a relative, maybe Edward, or someone else? Isabella knew that the Plantagenet’s were a vast and varied dynasty of rulers, he could be any one of them. Or was her reasoning being warped by her experiences, this could just be a man that feels strongly about the truthfulness of this particular play.

Still she knew the answer to his question and she answered him calmly hoping to find out more about the stranger. “I believe,” She said with a little annoyed sharpness colouring her words, “That Shakespeare operated under the patronage of Elizabeth, the last Tudor Queen. According to sources she was a great fan.” A fact taken directly from the book she had read but for all he knew she might be an expert. “Can I ask why you have taken such a dislike to the work?” She queried eager for him to inform her of his identity.

ooc: that will be a boost for his ego! <3
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 09:07 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

“I believe that Shakespeare operated under the patronage of Elizabeth, the last Tudor Queen. According to sources she was a great fan.”

The annoyance in the young woman's words did not go un-noticed by Richard, nor her defensive stance, in posture and word, on the matter at hand. He should have realized he wasn't exactly being endearing, but at this point in the proceedings he was too het up to care; as if discovering Shakespeare wasn't bad enough now this woman seemed to be defending him?

That and she had mentioned the Tudors to boot. The penny should have dropped then; Shakespeare writing under the authority of a Tudor monarch, but the name Elizabeth meant nothing to Richard, at least in reference to the Tudors. At the woman's mention of the aforementioned name, Richard couldn't help a tut of displeasure; though of course he should have realized she would have no idea what displeasure the name would cause him. After all it felt like mere days, not hundreds of years, since Henry Tudor had landed on the shores.

“Can I ask why you have taken such a dislike to the work?”

At this Richard gave a scornful laugh.

"I, my lady, am the subject -or, I should say,victim - of this....this... travesty!"

ooc: Indeed it will, though I won't have him discover it for awhile. Seeing his reaction to this negative view of him is just too much fun - it's too early for an ego boost. /is evil
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 09:49 PM

Group Icon

Did he just tut her? The insolence! Isabella had never been so insulted, she was a Queen after all, yes a 500 year dead Queen but Queen none the less. She should be treated with the proper respect. Even those horribly invasive scientists were at least polite. This man was not. Her brow furrowed further as he laughed harshly and she was almost ready to demand his apologies for rudeness.

"I, my lady, am the subject -or, I should say, victim - of this....this... travesty!"

Her mouth dropped open slightly in what she imagined was terribly un-lady like action but then spread into a smile. This was Richard III, King of England, she had known him of course through reputation alone as they had never met. She had at one time briefly been betrothed to his older brother through the machinations of her own brother Henry. Now here he was, trapped with her, in this strange land. She had to admit that she was a little bit pleased, however rude he appeared right now, to meet a familiar soul.

It all fell into place now, she did not know the plot of this play, or any of Shakespeare’s plays, she had only just begun to uncover 500 years of British history but from his reaction she could guess that the Richard III of this fiction was less than favourable. Of course it wouldn’t be. The first Tudor King had defeated Richard on the battlefield and taken the crown; that much she had witnessed. She had then made a deal with the new dynasty to promote positive relations between her country and the island kingdom. An act that, with hindsight, she regretted greatly.

“Oh dios mio!” She exclaimed with a smile, “Then I should introduce myself correctly, I am Isabella of Castile, one time Queen of Spain, currently trapped in this place.” She felt more at ease in the presence of this man now. He was her contemporary, he would understand her. “Am I to understand that you are not pleased with the play? I admit I know only the true story and not the tale spun by this Shakespeare.”
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 10:27 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Needless to say, Richard was surprised at the woman's reaction to his second outburst. He could understand the jaw dropping - unless she was someone like him she would have only just discovered she was in the presence of a king who had been dead for hundreds of years - but the smile? Why on Earth would she be smiling at this revelation?

“Oh dios mio! Then I should introduce myself correctly, I am Isabella of Castile, one time Queen of Spain, currently trapped in this place.”

Richard's eyes widened and he felt himself colour with embarrassment. True, he couldn't have known who she was until she said so (that and he was having trouble of his own coming to terms with Shakespeare) but she was a Queen, royalty, and he had treated her with such disdain...

"Your Majesty," he said, feeling this was the most appropriate title to give, considering the past altercations between them. "I know this is no consolation but I had I known who you were I would not have treated you as I have done. My sincerest apologies."

It was only then that the Queen's name, rather than her title, sunk in. Isabella of Castile? Had she not, at one point, been engaged to Edward? Richard would have tried to confirm this suspicion had Isabella not spoken again and his mind refocused on the volume of misrepresentation in his hand.

“Am I to understand that you are not pleased with the play? I admit I know only the true story and not the tale spun by this Shakespeare.”

"Considering that in the first scene of this 'play' I am determined to destroy my brother Edward's reign, beginning by imprisoning my brother George, I am glad you only know the true story." Richard replied, with a weak smile, unsure as yet if he was forgiven for his past errors of address in the conversation.
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 10 2011, 09:28 AM

Group Icon

Her smile slipped into a slight smirk, it was nice to know her name had an effect on someone, she almost felt petulant at how her story was treated in history. She had practically discovered this place! She deserved a little more credit. So his embarrassment at his rudeness was a satisfaction.

“My sincerest apologies."

“Apologies accepted, your Majesty.” She followed his lead on address, it was difficult to know how to act in this place but it was nice to slip into her previous formality. “Of course you could not know, this body is quite dissimilar to my original and there is little to give it away.” She dropped her gaze quickly down studying her strange and unusual dress, a blouse with buttons up the centre and a long pair of odd breaches made of awfully tough material that someone had told her were called jeans. This couldn’t be further from her traditional dress. “But please call me Isabella.”

"Considering that in the first scene of this 'play' I am determined to destroy my brother Edward's reign, beginning by imprisoning my brother George, I am glad you only know the true story."

“What a terrible fallacy.” She knew how easy it was to manipulate history; she had been a monarch of an empire after all. “Of course I was fighting my own wars at the time but that is certainly not how the news reached my own ears!” Their time had been a period drenched in such blood but she, and she imagined it applied to him as well, did what she thought she had to for her country. “Your brother Edward and I were almost to be married once, I do not know if you recall, but we both had other ideas for matrimony. I will admit that I am grateful for small mercies, and I mean no insult, but Spanish Queens on the English throne, it seems are shown little respect.” She thought of Catherine and felt further anger towards to the Tudor monarchy. “It seems that there is nothing too sacred for the Tudors to distort.”
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 10 2011, 05:58 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Apologies accepted, your Majesty. Of course you could not know, this body is quite dissimilar to my original and there is little to give it away.”

"Nevertheless," Richard replied, apologizing again despite the fact his previous words had been accepted. "Whether you are Queen of Spain or not I should not have acted so indecently. I am afraid discovering such untruths about myself hadn't put me in the right frame of mind for pleasantries."

“But please call me Isabella.”

Isabella. How strange to be addressing a fellow royal without their royal title, at least so soon after meeting. Then again, these were strange circumstances they were in, and such strange circumstances lent themselves to such unusual occurrences as this.

Richard nodded his acknowledgement of Isabella's introduction, of sorts, and replied in a similar fashion, saying without great ceremony that she could call him by his Christian name also.

“What a terrible fallacy. Of course I was fighting my own wars at the time but that is certainly not how the news reached my own ears!”

Richard's weak smile grew a little stronger at this; of course she had her own country to rule over, but he was glad to know when the news had reached her of his usurpation it had done so truthfully.

“Your brother Edward and I were almost to be married once, I do not know if you recall, but we both had other ideas for matrimony. I will admit that I am grateful for small mercies, and I mean no insult, but Spanish Queens on the English throne, it seems are shown little respect.”

So she had been engaged to Edward! Then again, it seemed she wasn't the only one. Richard didn't particularly wish to recall the Eleanor Butler scandal.

“It seems that there is nothing too sacred for the Tudors to distort.”

"Do you mean to say they have slandered your name as well as mine?" Richard asked, the anger which had been quelled slightly on Isabella's revelation of her title now returning.
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 11 2011, 12:44 AM

Group Icon

Isabella understood. It was not easy coming to terms with this new world let alone having to deal with that and the realisation that your person and your life’s work had been falsified. Richard’s repeated apologies were endearing, she smiled at him and wondered briefly what he must have been like as a King.

She was pleased when he reciprocated and said she could address him as Richard. It was strange yes, they were so use to tradition and formality structuring their lives, but this was not their past. This was the future, or the present, and you needed to adapt and Isabella was putting her best foot forward, as she always did in times of crisis. In her time she had been known for her iron will and wisdom, she was not about to waver now.

"Do you mean to say they have slandered your name as well as mine?"

“Not I, I was dead long before the supposed glory days of the Tudor reign, but my daughter Catherine. I have, admittedly, only read one book on the subject and I am sure there is more to know,” She spoke humbly of her knowledge, 500 years of history was a lot to learn from one book. “But it seems the Henry whom defeated you on the fields heir, Henry VIII, married my Catherine, then as a result of lustful immorality committed heresy and broke with Rome in order to discard her, god bless her soul.” Nothing about this revival of her being saddened her more than learning of the fate of her youngest daughter. Joanna, to her surprise, had fared well in Spain producing a Habsburg heir to the Holy Roman Empire but Catherine had died alone, trapped in a country that was not hers and burned by a broken vow.
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 11 2011, 09:59 AM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

It was strange, Richard thought, how Isabella seemed able to adapt with such ease to this current situation. Not only was she first to ease into her new title (or rather, name lacking its title) but she also had the precense of mind to try and discover more about what had happened in the future...the present...whatever this was for them. Richard had only been concerned with find out what had become of him. He wasn't usually this egotistical.

“Not I, I was dead long before the supposed glory days of the Tudor reign, but my daughter Catherine. I have, admittedly, only read one book on the subject and I am sure there is more to know. But it seems the Henry whom defeated you on the fields heir, Henry VIII, married my Catherine, then as a result of lustful immorality committed heresy and broke with Rome in order to discard her, god bless her soul.”

Richard shook his head in despair. Now he realized what Isabella had meant when she said Spanish queens on the English throne had little respect. And not just Spanish queens, it seemed, but God himself. This Henry Tudor had broken with Rome for the sole reason of discarding Isabella's daughter? Was there no low to which these Tudors would not stoop?

"I am heartily sorry to hear that Your M- Isabella," Richard corrected himself. "But on a more inspiring note, it is admirable that already you have sought to find out what has occurred since your passing," In the sense that she was technically dead, though she seemed wll enough alive here. "What else have you discovered, if you will forgive my curiousity? The world has changed so much since our time."

He paused, then, in almost a whisper; " Perhaps too much."
Isabella Castile
Posted: Nov 11 2011, 05:18 PM

Group Icon

Isabella was comforted by Richard’s obvious anger on her behalf. They were from the same time, they had lived lives similar in pathway but different in outcome, she was grateful she could speak to him like this. She smiled graciously when he complimented her ingenuity. In her lifetime she had believed fully in the importance of education and now it was time to put that into practice.

"What else have you discovered, if you will forgive my curiosity? The world has changed so much since our time."

She feared for a moment that she had over exaggerated her scope and that he was expecting her to be learned in details and dynasties. She overcame the momentary doubt, she had royal blood cursing through her veins she does not balk, she would inform Richard of what she had learned with the zeal with which she had learned it.

“I admit I have only barely breached the seventeenth century with British history, I was distracted by thirst.” She said remembering why she had walked this way through the library in the first place. “I began with Spanish history, of course, eager to see the culmination of my efforts.” She spoke wistfully of her homeland. “She had a turbulent time and England much the same. I shall tell you what I know but please forgive my areas of ignorance.” She hoped he would appreciate her knowledge however limited and began to give him her own cliff notes version of the past. “It seems that after your successor Henry, his son took the throne a Henry himself. He had six wives!” This stuck with Isabella as outrageous, no such thing would have happened when she was Queen. “Upon his death his son, Edward suceeded, a mere boy king he solidified the protestant faith in England but died young. Leaving no heir Mary Tudor, Henry’s first daughter and my granddaughter took the throne, reinstalling the Catholic faith.” She decided to skip the nastier details; Shakespeare was not the only one who would mould history. “Leaving no heir again her sister Elizabeth, another protestant was crowned Queen and it seems did a great justice to England but perhaps not your reputation.”

"It has indeed changed a great deal, when I first arrived I found it difficult to even see this as the same place I had left." She said solemnly.
Richard Plantagenet
Posted: Nov 11 2011, 08:01 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

“I admit I have only barely breached the seventeenth century with British history, I was distracted by thirst. I began with Spanish history, of course, eager to see the culmination of my efforts. She had a turbulent time and England much the same. I shall tell you what I know but please forgive my areas of ignorance.”

"Anything you can tell me will be of interest," Richard replied. "I would not expect you to know the full details as yet, considering how little time you have spent in this place and how long it takes to adjust to it."

He then proceeded to listen, both fascinated and alarmed at points, to the abridged version of history that Isabella was able to give him. He would have scoffed at her use of the word 'successor' for Henry VII (the man was clearly a usurper) had he not been so shocked by what she told him afterwards British? Surely she meant English; Richard had never heard the phrase 'British' used before - unless it was some 2015 term Isabella had found in her book. And then....six wives! And what was this Protestant faith she spoke of? And what justice has this Elizabeth done for England? It occurred to Richard he would need to do some research of his own.

"It has indeed changed a great deal, when I first arrived I found it difficult to even see this as the same place I had left."

"Thank you for telling me what you have discovered thus far, though I cannot say it gives me a favourable impression of England's fate. That being said, the time from which we came was not the most pleasant in history."

It was only then that Isabella's final few words seemed to sink in.

"Do you mean to say you have seen more of this world than-" here he gestured to the room about him, as if to indicate the Academy itself. "-this?"
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

skinned by kaka of caution 2.0 and atf

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1895 seconds | Archive