Translate this Page:

Share and Share Alike:

By: TwitterButtons.com
It Is Written, Where Creativity May Flourish

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to It Is Written, the perfect, family-friendly home for up-and-coming writers. Here you can safely, securely, and privately share all of your work with a tight-knit community of fellow writers. Short stories, poetry, fan fiction, RPGs, constructive criticism, it's all welcomed on our site! We also offer areas to share your artwork, photography, music, and writing tips and tricks. Don't hesitate to join now and reap the rewards of being a community member!

As a guest, we hope you enjoy your visit. Since you're currently viewing our board as a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections and use many member-only features such as sharing your work, viewing others' work, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our Community!

For technical support, or if you would like to affiliate your site with ours, please contact us at: 310down@gmail.com

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Announcements
Writing PromptNewsOur Associates
Fall is almost here! Let's express our joy for the season by sharing our Autumn poetry and artwork. The new poetry contest will begin soon... Wilderness Interface Zone,
a Nature Writing Site

The Universe Inside my Head

The Bizarre Files
Forum Rules Poll Rules
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Favorite Genre To Write

What is your favorite genre to write?
Sci-fi [ 2 ]  [28.57%]
Adventure [ 2 ]  [28.57%]
Fan-fiction [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Christian/Religious [ 1 ]  [14.29%]
Romance [ 1 ]  [14.29%]
Horror [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Suspense [ 1 ]  [14.29%]
Mystery [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Katie
Posted on May 9 2011, 08:48 AM

Editor and Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3

There are a ton of other genres out there, but these are eight prime genres.

This post has been edited by Katie on May 9 2011, 08:49 AM

--------------------
You may not cry or whine or laugh or giggle or sneeze or barf or fart! smile.gif
CAT
Posted on May 9 2011, 10:14 AM

Mentat

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Mine would have to be sci-fi, though I like to write in almost all the other genres as well.

--------------------
QUOTE (Seer)
In a world of predictability, it is the insane that give one the last glimmers of entertainment.
LiVenture17
Posted on May 10 2011, 12:56 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

Member No.: 2

I said sci-fi as well, although I actually write fantasy (which, mistakenly in my opinion, is considered a subgenre of sci-fi) There is no science in fantasy. Actually, much of what makes fantasy fantasy is the prominent lack of science! Science fiction would be technologically innovative novels like Star Trek or Transformers or War of the Worlds. Fantasy - with mythological creatures that were fantasized about before the concept of science was even introduced in many cultures, and set in worlds apart from ours where basic physics and biological rules are not altered or fictionalized but simply not there - should be in a completely different category in my opinion. Anyway, it was a difficult toss-up because I also enjoy a healthy splash of adventure in my fantasy and most of my books are so subtly fantastical that they could be prominently called adventure, and I love fanfiction as well!

This post has been edited by LiVenture17 on May 10 2011, 12:58 PM

--------------------
[marq=left]"Sometimes strength is being the last one left standing. And sometimes it's being the first to fall . . ." - Vuny[/marq]
Katie
Posted on May 10 2011, 01:04 PM

Editor and Moderator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ May 10 2011, 12:56 PM)
I said sci-fi as well, although I actually write fantasy (which, mistakenly in my opinion, is considered a subgenre of sci-fi) There is no science in fantasy. Actually, much of what makes fantasy fantasy is the prominent lack of science! Science fiction would be technologically innovative novels like Star Trek or Transformers or War of the Worlds. Fantasy - with mythological creatures that were fantasized about before the concept of science was even introduced in many cultures, and set in worlds apart from ours where basic physics and biological rules are not altered or fictionalized but simply not there - should be in a completely different category in my opinion. Anyway, it was a difficult toss-up because I also enjoy a healthy splash of adventure in my fantasy and most of my books are so subtly fantastical that they could be prominently called adventure, and I love fanfiction as well!

I knew I was missing a popular genre! Haha! Fantasy! How could I forget?!

--------------------
You may not cry or whine or laugh or giggle or sneeze or barf or fart! smile.gif
LiVenture17
Posted on May 10 2011, 10:11 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

hehe glad to have helped ;P

Sorry about going into a rant - that's a pet peeve of mine :P

--------------------
[marq=left]"Sometimes strength is being the last one left standing. And sometimes it's being the first to fall . . ." - Vuny[/marq]
CAT
Posted on May 19 2011, 09:01 PM

Mentat

QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ May 11 2011, 03:11 AM)

Sorry about going into a rant - that's a pet peeve of mine :P

I understand where you're coming from, but personally I don't mind the sci-fi/fantasy genres being combined. I always think of it this way: sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I know that's a nerdy way to think of it, but hey, it works for me :P

--------------------
QUOTE (Seer)
In a world of predictability, it is the insane that give one the last glimmers of entertainment.
LiVenture17
Posted on May 20 2011, 02:30 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

QUOTE (CAT @ May 19 2011, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ May 11 2011, 03:11 AM)

Sorry about going into a rant - that's a pet peeve of mine  :P

I understand where you're coming from, but personally I don't mind the sci-fi/fantasy genres being combined. I always think of it this way: sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I know that's a nerdy way to think of it, but hey, it works for me :P

lol yeah, I guess you're right in a way.

I'm like hardcore fantasy, interested in things like ancient mythology and traditional folklore. It's funny, but did you know that during all the ancient myths and folktales and everything, it wasn't even considered magic? The word just wasn't around. Like in the Celtic areas (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, etc.) fantasy was just another accepted part of reality. Very weird.

--------------------
Swiftflame
Posted on Jun 2 2011, 02:25 PM

4-Level Villain

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (CAT)
I understand where you're coming from, but personally I don't mind the sci-fi/fantasy genres being combined. I always think of it this way: sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I know that's a nerdy way to think of it, but hey, it works for me

Why CAT, you've just described my writing's magic system. :D

I unintentionally write a combination of sci-fi and fantasy. I am a fantasy writer at heart, but it's very satisfying to me when I'm able to combine practical technology and reasoning with my magic and fantasy. The emotion colors that one of my characters "sees" are based on actual emotional effects and associations that colors have on psychology and emotion. My magic system (of being able to manipulate reality) is based upon the advanced abilities of the human brain. Humans actually use a very small part of their brain's ability, so it's perfectly conceivable that our brains would have the power to achieve something that we otherwise consider as strange and other-worldly or impossible.

Ach, I have wandered deeply into the land of talking and talking. My apologies. ;)

--------------------
user posted image
CAT
Posted on Jun 5 2011, 07:32 PM

Mentat

QUOTE (Swiftflame @ Jun 2 2011, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (CAT)
I understand where you're coming from, but personally I don't mind the sci-fi/fantasy genres being combined. I always think of it this way: sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I know that's a nerdy way to think of it, but hey, it works for me

Why CAT, you've just described my writing's magic system. :D

I unintentionally write a combination of sci-fi and fantasy. I am a fantasy writer at heart, but it's very satisfying to me when I'm able to combine practical technology and reasoning with my magic and fantasy. The emotion colors that one of my characters "sees" are based on actual emotional effects and associations that colors have on psychology and emotion. My magic system (of being able to manipulate reality) is based upon the advanced abilities of the human brain. Humans actually use a very small part of their brain's ability, so it's perfectly conceivable that our brains would have the power to achieve something that we otherwise consider as strange and other-worldly or impossible.

Ach, I have wandered deeply into the land of talking and talking. My apologies. ;)

Haha, great minds think alike :P

I think it sets a bit more of realism into the story. While stories like the Lord of the Rings or the Chronicles of Narnia are great, everything in the story is simply explaine as magic and nothing more, so there's always that thought in the back of your mind that the events in the books could never actually happen.

On the other hand, a relatively primitive society that doesn't understand technology and science, and so explains it as magic, is much more believable.

But like I said, even if you only use magic to explain a story, it can still be a great read. I just personally like the little added realism :P

--------------------
QUOTE (Seer)
nerual6
Posted on Jun 21 2011, 12:00 PM

The Scruff Ball

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

could someone tell me witch one would be
Geronimo Stilton?

--------------------
http://www.girlsgogames.com/profile.html
http://community.kibagames.com/account/dashboard
This are my accounts, you should check them out! and join them, too!(there is almost all games on these sites)
CAT
Posted on Jun 21 2011, 10:45 PM

Mentat

QUOTE (nerual6 @ Jun 21 2011, 12:00 PM)
could someone tell me witch one would be
Geronimo Stilton?

Probably fantasy/adventure.

--------------------
QUOTE (Seer)
LauraMae
Posted on Jul 12 2011, 04:55 PM

Member No.: 35

I'm the only person who voted romance :( not soppy romance obviously, but realistic, meaningful romance. Love love love. Vote Romance! (or Adventure) :D

--------------------
Utinam hoc perenne manere posset.
LiVenture17
Posted on Jul 13 2011, 12:44 AM

Gal with the Highlighter

A GOOD romance book is UNBEATABLE. Jane Eyre verified that for me :)

--------------------
LauraMae
Posted on Jul 13 2011, 10:26 AM

Member No.: 35

QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ Jul 13 2011, 06:44 AM)
A GOOD romance book is UNBEATABLE. Jane Eyre verified that for me :)

I LOVE Jane Eyre! I've read that book over ten times... and once for English class at school. Mr Rochester is unbelievably sexy, it's gotta be said.

--------------------
Utinam hoc perenne manere posset.
LiVenture17
Posted on Jul 13 2011, 11:57 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

Oh, man, you're telling ME XD And people compare him with Mr. Darcy . . . honestly, I see absolutely no form of comparison XP Darcy's good and all, but for sheer brooding masculinity, it's Rochester all the way lol

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

This Skin was created by Blade of InkDropStyles and RevolutionEon Productions.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5664 seconds | Archive
2010 - 2011 Editors of It Is Written. All Rights Reserved. The views expressed by the individuals of this board and its affiliates do not necessarily express the views held by this site and its staff.