Translate this Page:

Share and Share Alike:

By: TwitterButtons.com
It Is Written, Where Creativity May Flourish

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to It Is Written, the perfect, family-friendly home for up-and-coming writers. Here you can safely, securely, and privately share all of your work with a tight-knit community of fellow writers. Short stories, poetry, fan fiction, RPGs, constructive criticism, it's all welcomed on our site! We also offer areas to share your artwork, photography, music, and writing tips and tricks. Don't hesitate to join now and reap the rewards of being a community member!

As a guest, we hope you enjoy your visit. Since you're currently viewing our board as a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections and use many member-only features such as sharing your work, viewing others' work, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our Community!

For technical support, or if you would like to affiliate your site with ours, please contact us at: 310down@gmail.com

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Announcements
Writing PromptNewsOur Associates
Fall is almost here! Let's express our joy for the season by sharing our Autumn poetry and artwork. The new poetry contest will begin soon... Wilderness Interface Zone,
a Nature Writing Site

The Universe Inside my Head

The Bizarre Files
Forum Rules Writing and Publishing Tips & Tricks Rules

Writing Prompts, Writer's block, anyone?
MightyEm
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 03:38 PM

Normally Insane, and Insanely Normal

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

So, in the sad event that Border's is closing (Noooo!), I decided to buy a writer's idea book. Conveniently, the title of the book I bought is, The Writer's Idea Book, by Jack Heffron. In it are wonderful prompts that seem immensly helpful. Here are only a few, and if you want more, just ask. :) Hope this helps!!

Prompt:
Write a scene that is set at night. It should posses an element of intrigue or mystery. Write this scene at night. Push yourself to take risks with the language or the images or simply with the events in the scene. Allow the scene to end without resolution so that at least one more scene will be needed to provide some sort of closure. Write that scene [closure] in the morning.

Prompt:
Spend a few minutes looking in the mirror. Just stare back at your reflection. then write a self-portrait, describing yourself in detail. Try to imagine that you're looking at a stranger. What assumptions would you make from this person's appearance? (Tip: Try thinking of your character instead of yourself.)

Prompt:
Create two or three characters from the facets of your personality. Put them in a car, driving to the coast. Who takes the wheel? Who navigates? Give them a topic of conversation, such as the best route to take or what they should do when they arrive. (Hint: You can make this into a novella.)

Prompt:
Write about something you deeply dislike. It could be a trait, object, idea, "trend," or anything else. Feel free to let another side of yourself come out in your writing.

Hope all of this helps! :)

P.S. I picked most of the personal ones, because writing is one of the most personal arts there is. ;)

--------------------
*Em*
LiVenture17
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 10:08 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2

Wow, Em, this is great! Wow - what an awesome book, it sounds amazingly helpful. I have something similar called "The Writer's Block", and it's a tiny book in the shape of a square block and it has a word or phrase or picture on each page to inspire writing lol
Seriously, I am going to try all of these!! I especially like the one about the three facets of my personality going on a road trip, and I'm actually doing something like that in a new book I'm beginning XD One of them is a bored, rather sarcastic and cynical person who wants to get out of the boondocks, and the other is an eccentric book maniac with a penchant for fantasy lol
Please PLEASE post more!! XD Thank you for this!!

--------------------
[marq=left]"Sometimes strength is being the last one left standing. And sometimes it's being the first to fall . . ." - Vuny[/marq]
MightyEm
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 08:55 AM

QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:08 AM)
Wow, Em, this is great! Wow - what an awesome book, it sounds amazingly helpful. I have something similar called "The Writer's Block", and it's a tiny book in the shape of a square block and it has a word or phrase or picture on each page to inspire writing lol Seriously, I am going to try all of these!! I especially like the one about the three facets of my personality going on a road trip, and I'm actually doing something like that in a new book I'm beginning XD One of them is a bored, rather sarcastic and cynical person who wants to get out of the boondocks, and the other is an eccentric book maniac with a penchant for fantasy lol Please PLEASE post more!! XD Thank you for this!!

No problemo :) OMG, your story plots seem sooo awesome!! Are you going to post them?

--------------------
*Em*
MightyEm
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 09:00 AM

Prompt:
Outline a story with enormously high stakes- a life-or-death situation. If you tend to write more internal narratives, take a chance here and put the lives of everyone in the world in jeopardy.Flesh out your idea, jotting notes about how this situation would develop. If you like the idea, begin a scene. If it's just not right for you, you have the benfit of working with an idea that involves very high stakes.

Prompt:
Try the cut and paste method. Find an unfinished piece or one that has never satisfied you. Cut your piece into sections or paragraphs and rearrange them. Look for interesting juxtapositions.

:)

--------------------
*Em*
LiVenture17
Posted: Aug 3 2011, 11:45 PM

Gal with the Highlighter

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2

More cool prompts :D Thank you!

Hey, I just got a new writer's book: The Fiction Writer's Silent Partner by Martin Roth - awesome stuff in there. Would you mind if I helped out in posting some writing prompts from it?

Oh, yeah, I'll post some of that story - I've only got the prologue so far, but tell me what you think!

--------------------
[marq=left]"Sometimes strength is being the last one left standing. And sometimes it's being the first to fall . . ." - Vuny[/marq]
MightyEm
Posted: Aug 12 2011, 08:17 PM

QUOTE (LiVenture17 @ Aug 4 2011, 04:45 AM)
More cool prompts :D Thank you! Hey, I just got a new writer's book: The Fiction Writer's Silent Partner by Martin Roth - awesome stuff in there. Would you mind if I helped out in posting some writing prompts from it? Oh, yeah, I'll post some of that story - I've only got the prologue so far, but tell me what you think!

Oh, cool! I wouldn't mind at all, lol! Anyways, I can't wait to see your story!! :)

--------------------
*Em*
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

This Skin was created by Blade of InkDropStyles and RevolutionEon Productions.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0865 seconds | Archive
2010 - 2011 Editors of It Is Written. All Rights Reserved. The views expressed by the individuals of this board and its affiliates do not necessarily express the views held by this site and its staff.