zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Haven Of Wiidom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Genghis Khan, The greatest person ever from Mongolia!
Wingman
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 12:30 AM

I'm better than you. That's all I know.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 7 2008, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Jul 3 2008, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 1 2008, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 1 2008, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Jun 30 2008, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jun 28 2008, 01:57 PM)
props dude nice essay, about one of my favorite military leaders

Mine too. Few have done so much in so little time. Perhaps Alexander the Great, and maybe Hannibal, also have rivaled his greatness in such short time. Hannibal pissed off the entire Roman Army for about 30 years before they finally got rid of him. Alexander, well, I don't have to say much. In about 11 years, he conquered the largest empire until that time, expanded it quite a bit, and conquered most of the known world... all before the age of 33.

hey khan v.s alexander would be a great battle to put in the history section, you'd be eprfect for writing it too.

oh and Hannibal did that when Rome, was just well rome. i highly doubt he could've done this when rome, was ROME ONE OF THE GREATEST EMPIRES IN CIVILIZATION. if you get my drift

You are correct. The empire was still developing. It was still a republic. Alright, scratch that with hannibal.

do you think napolean, as far military genius goes, is up there with khan and alexander?

Heck yeah, I totally forgot about him. Yes, he practically rewrote the rules or warfare overnight. There were three basic rules of 1750's to 1800 warfare:

1. Don't march at night.
2. Don't march or fight in the rain.
3. Don't march or fight on Sunday.

I don't know why these were rules, but they were. Napoleon broke all three of them, and it worked. He also immensely increased the use of artillery as a factor in battles, and he didn't worry about supply trains and such that could slow him down. His army lived off the land wherever they went.

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----
I don't smoke, I don't chew... and I don't date girls who do.

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 12:38 AM

Head Admin

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Wingman @ Jul 8 2008, 12:30 AM)

Mine too. Few have done so much in so little time. Perhaps Alexander the Great, and maybe Hannibal, also have rivaled his greatness in such short time. Hannibal pissed off the entire Roman Army for about 30 years before they finally got rid of him. Alexander, well, I don't have to say much. In about 11 years, he conquered the largest empire until that time, expanded it quite a bit, and conquered most of the known world... all before the age of 33.

hey khan v.s alexander would be a great battle to put in the history section, you'd be eprfect for writing it too.

oh and Hannibal did that when Rome, was just well rome. i highly doubt he could've done this when rome, was ROME ONE OF THE GREATEST EMPIRES IN CIVILIZATION. if you get my drift

You are correct. The empire was still developing. It was still a republic. Alright, scratch that with hannibal.

do you think napolean, as far military genius goes, is up there with khan and alexander?

Heck yeah, I totally forgot about him. Yes, he practically rewrote the rules or warfare overnight. There were three basic rules of 1750's to 1800 warfare:

1. Don't march at night.

I don't know why these were rules, but they were. Napoleon broke all three of them, and it worked. He also immensely increased the use of artillery as a factor in battles, and he didn't worry about supply trains and such that could slow him down. His army lived off the land wherever they went.

wasn't no winter campaigning one of them?

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 12:05 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 7 2008, 08:38 PM)

1. Don't march at night.

Well, he tried that in Russia, and look what it got him.

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 02:42 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Jul 8 2008, 12:05 PM)

1. Don't march at night.

well that's true, General winter gave a whoopin'

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 11:28 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 8 2008, 10:42 AM)

1. Don't march at night.

It is a good name. General Czar Alexander the III was great, Marshall Georgi Zhukov, along with Hitler's arrogance, saved Russian in WWII, but General Winter has always been there to save the Russian people from those stupid enough to send armed forces three thousand miles into the heart of Asia through the wasteland of Eastern Russia.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 02:33 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Jul 8 2008, 11:28 PM)

1. Don't march at night.

It is a good name. General Czar Alexander the III was great, Marshall Georgi Zhukov, along with Hitler's arrogance, saved Russian in WWII, but General Winter has always been there to save the Russian people from those stupid enough to send armed forces three thousand miles into the heart of Asia through the wasteland of Eastern Russia.

yeah entering russia from europe is a big no no, especially with ground troops

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 03:44 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Jul 9 2008, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Jul 8 2008, 11:28 PM)

1. Don't march at night.

yeah entering russia from europe is a big no no, especially with ground troops

Exactly. Either start your invasion RIGHT after the spring thaw, or come up through Central Asia. Hitler delated Operation Barbarossa till June. By the time he was outside Moscow and Stalingrad, the coldest Russian winter of the century had set in. And the rest is history.

--------------------

----

----

« Next Oldest | Non-Fiction | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0466 seconds · Archive