zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Haven Of Wiidom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

What if... Civil War (The real one)
super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 9 2008, 09:37 PM

Head Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

i have a what if... Civil war for all you military fanitics out there

What if Stonewall Jackson had never been shot by his own man?

What if great britain had become allies with the confederates?

What if the north had won antietam?

What if abraham lincoln had never issued the emancipaction proclamation?

... give your opinion on these, and feel free to add some more

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 9 2008, 11:46 PM

I'm better than you. That's all I know.

Member No.: 14

My parents are both born and raised Arkansans, and though I was born in New Jersey, and we now live in Pennsylvania, they, and partially, I, still have some loyalty to the Durty South.

1. North probably would have won, but at significantly more cost and more lives lost.

2. North would be screwed.

3. This was the weakest the Confederate Army was prior to about late 1863, and if the North had won this, we would have decisively crushed Lee's already weakened army.

4. We still would have won, but the slaves would have been in slavery a lot longer. Or, once we won, we could have just used miltary force to free the slaves. Also, this act might have not made Lincoln so many enemies, like, say, John Wilkes Booth. Think about it!! If Abraham Lincoln, one of the two greatest presidents of the United States, had lived, think of the effects on post war situations. That is an intersting thing to ponder!!

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----
I don't smoke, I don't chew... and I don't date girls who do.

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

Wingman
Posted: Apr 10 2008, 12:02 AM

BTW, I like your attention to military fights for all us military geeks, super_wolvie!

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 10 2008, 12:16 AM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 9 2008, 11:46 PM)
My parents are both born and raised Arkansans, and though I was born in New Jersey, and we now live in Pennsylvania, they, and partially, I, still have some loyalty to the Durty South.

1. North probably would have won, but at significantly more cost and more lives lost.

3. This was the weakest the Confederate Army was prior to about late 1863, and if the North had won this, we would have decisively crushed Lee's already weakened army.

4. We still would have won, but the slaves would have been in slavery a lot longer. Or, once we won, we could have just used miltary force to free the slaves. Also, this act might have not made Lincoln so many enemies, like, say, John Wilkes Booth. Think about it!! If Abraham Lincoln, one of the two greatest presidents of the United States, had lived, think of the effects on post war situations. That is an intersting thing to ponder!!

cool. nice points of view, so keep it going make your own Civil war what ifs

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 10 2008, 12:41 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Apr 9 2008, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 9 2008, 11:46 PM)

cool. nice points of view, so keep it going make your own Civil war what ifs

OK.

(1) What if General Joe Hooker hadn't been relieved of command?

(2) What if Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, commander of the 20th Maine Regiment which had been anchoring the extreme flank of Little Round Top, had been killed in action during Gettysburg?

(3) What if the Union had immediately mass produced Henry and Spencer repeating rifles at the start of the war, rather than waiting three years?

(4) What if Abraham Lincoln's bodyguard hadn't taken leave from his post on that night in Ford's Theater?

These are kinda tough, but they give you things to ponder.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 10 2008, 07:05 PM

Head Admin

HEY! what the heck happened to my reply. I posted answers to all of those questions! oh well i'll just do it again

1. wait hooker, was dismissed from duty after the battle of Gettysburgh and replaced by meade, right? If this is the case i think this was a wise choice, in my opinion, Meade was the second best general the union had, next to grant. Had Hooker never resigned, his agressive style of fighting, may not have been the most wise choice. I think the union needed somebody who was smart, and a little cautious, not Joe, who was attack attack attack.

2. It's amazing how people don't know what this is, I mean what of the most famous military manuevers of all-time, and in my opinion the dissicive (spelling) Moment, which gave the union the battle of Gettysburgh. To me that was the turning moment of the war. Had it not have happened i fully believe that, the Confederates would have won gettysburgh, and quite possibly the war.

3. I'm sorry i don't understand this question

4. I don't think that abes bodyguard may have been much help. I mean the only way out of the box was to jump down to the stage below. John wilkes booth was guarding the only other exit holding a gun, lincoln's bodyguard may have been able to stall booth for a moment, but with nowhere to run. Abe would have been gunned down eventually.

whew* alright let's discuss these for awhile.

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 01:47 AM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Apr 10 2008, 03:05 PM)
HEY! what the heck happened to my reply. I posted answers to all of those questions! oh well i'll just do it again

1. wait hooker, was dismissed from duty after the battle of Gettysburgh and replaced by meade, right? If this is the case i think this was a wise choice, in my opinion, Meade was the second best general the union had, next to grant. Had Hooker never resigned, his agressive style of fighting, may not have been the most wise choice. I think the union needed somebody who was smart, and a little cautious, not Joe, who was attack attack attack.

2. It's amazing how people don't know what this is, I mean what of the most famous military manuevers of all-time, and in my opinion the dissicive (spelling) Moment, which gave the union the battle of Gettysburgh. To me that was the turning moment of the war. Had it not have happened i fully believe that, the Confederates would have won gettysburgh, and quite possibly the war.

4. I don't think that abes bodyguard may have been much help. I mean the only way out of the box was to jump down to the stage below. John wilkes booth was guarding the only other exit holding a gun, lincoln's bodyguard may have been able to stall booth for a moment, but with nowhere to run. Abe would have been gunned down eventually.

1. Actually, Hooker was relieved of duty after the Battle of Chancellorsville, a strategic Union defeat, but it did little to improve the situation of the Confederacy, and was replaced by Meade BEFORE the battle of Gettysburg. No matter.

2. You're spot on. Joshua Laurence Chamberlain was one of the greatest figures in Civil War history, because of his amazing command as he held the flank of the Union army at Gettysburg. I'm heartened to see that you share my opinion of this man and his command, the 20th Maine.

3. Basically, the Henry and Spencer were some of the first lever action rifles, each holding between 8 and 12 shots, roughly. If they had started mass producing this weapon right when fighting broke out, many more Union troops early in the war would have had rapid fire weapons rather than old, single shot, muzzle loading weapons. Mass fire is the key to most firearms engagements, so this would have given an overwhelming advantage to the Union. The idiot who ran the US arms procurement bureau, I can't remember his name, was more than anyone else responsible for many of the dead in the Civil War. He repeatedly refused to buy these repeating rifles, because he though it would encourage the troops to "waste expensive ammunition". If I was Lincoln, I would have executed the SOB by firing squad, that's how much I hate him. I'll find out his name later and post it. Then you can look him up.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 01:48 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 11 2008, 01:47 AM)

1. Actually, Hooker was relieved of duty after the Battle of Chancellorsville, a strategic Union defeat, but it did little to improve the situation of the Confederacy, and was replaced by Meade BEFORE the battle of Gettysburg. No matter.

2. You're spot on. Joshua Laurence Chamberlain was one of the greatest figures in Civil War history, because of his amazing command as he held the flank of the Union army at Gettysburg. I'm heartened to see that you share my opinion of this man and his command, the 20th Maine.

3. Basically, the Henry and Spencer were some of the first lever action rifles, each holding between 8 and 12 shots, roughly. If they had started mass producing this weapon right when fighting broke out, many more Union troops early in the war would have had rapid fire weapons rather than old, single shot, muzzle loading weapons. Mass fire is the key to most firearms engagements, so this would have given an overwhelming advantage to the Union. The idiot who ran the US arms procurement bureau, I can't remember his name, was more than anyone else responsible for many of the dead in the Civil War. He repeatedly refused to buy these repeating rifles, because he though it would encourage the troops to "waste expensive ammunition". If I was Lincoln, I would have executed the SOB by firing squad, that's how much I hate him. I'll find out his name later and post it. Then you can look him up.

thanks for the interesting bit of info on general Hooker and henry and spencer.

hey wingman, how did you learn so much, cause i know it wasn't school.

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 01:52 PM

Head Admin

what's that you say you want some more

1. What if the union had initially followed General Scott's plan, rather than to allow General McDowell to do a direct advance leading to the battle of Bull Run.

2. What if Virginia Hadn't seceded from the union

3. What if the south had been allowed to break free from the union and the civil war never happened?

4. What if General Robert E. Lee was shot and killed rather than "Stonewall" Jackson

5. What if the Battle of Gettysburg never happened

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 01:59 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Apr 11 2008, 09:48 AM)

You want the long or short version?

I'll give you the long, since I ain't got anything better to do. tongue.gif

My mom, bless her heart, read to me alot when I was just a baby, too young even to read yet. But she was convinced in the theory that if you read alot to your kid when he's little, he'll be more eager to read when he is able too. She stuck with that, and it paid off. By the time I was four, I was reading fairly well, and I haven't looked back. That's the key to what I do. I read almost anything if I have the time. Couple that with my father's late blooming interest in all things history, warfare, and politics, and he introduced me to these insanely cool things. One of the first things I remember was him telling me about the A-10 Thunderbolt, which you can shoot the engine, part of the wing, a stabilizer, or a rudder off, and it will still make it home.

I am homeschooled, and have been so since second grade. That gives me more flexibility with what I do, and it keeps me away from alot of the crud in public schools these days, no offense. It pains me when I talk to some of my friends, including the girl I'm currently "interested in", and they say that the only time they read books is when the HAVE to for school. I feel sad for them, because I know how much great stuff they're missing. It also saddens me because it is fulfilling that age old saying, "Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it." I am determined to not be caught as someone who doesn't remember history.

Short version: I read alot, like to do it, and have parents who are fine with buying loads of books. I also have a well used library card. BTW, I just got done reading "Red Storm Rising" and "SSN" by Tom Clancy, and they were both awesome. Have you read any good books lately?

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 02:17 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 11 2008, 01:59 PM)

My mom, bless her heart, read to me alot when I was just a baby, too young even to read yet. But she was convinced in the theory that if you read alot to your kid when he's little, he'll be more eager to read when he is able too. She stuck with that, and it paid off. By the time I was four, I was reading fairly well, and I haven't looked back. That's the key to what I do. I read almost anything if I have the time. Couple that with my father's late blooming interest in all things history, warfare, and politics, and he introduced me to these insanely cool things. One of the first things I remember was him telling me about the A-10 Thunderbolt, which you can shoot the engine, part of the wing, a stabilizer, or a rudder off, and it will still make it home.

I am homeschooled, and have been so since second grade. That gives me more flexibility with what I do, and it keeps me away from alot of the crud in public schools these days, no offense. It pains me when I talk to some of my friends, including the girl I'm currently "interested in", and they say that the only time they read books is when the HAVE to for school. I feel sad for them, because I know how much great stuff they're missing. It also saddens me because it is fulfilling that age old saying, "Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it." I am determined to not be caught as someone who doesn't remember history.

Short version: I read alot, like to do it, and have parents who are fine with buying loads of books. I also have a well used library card. BTW, I just got done reading "Red Storm Rising" and "SSN" by Tom Clancy, and they were both awesome. Have you read any good books lately?

so basically you read like a maniac. hmmmmm good books let's see... no i can't say i have not on the historical topic anyways.

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 02:28 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Apr 11 2008, 10:17 AM)

so basically you read like a maniac. hmmmmm good books let's see... no i can't say i have not on the historical topic anyways.

It doesn't have to be historical. It can be anything. Good literature takes many forms. History is just one of them.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 06:53 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 11 2008, 02:28 PM)

It doesn't have to be historical. It can be anything. Good literature takes many forms. History is just one of them.

haven't had much time for reading of late sad.gif

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 07:01 PM

Head Admin

hey wingman what do you think of these

1. What if the union had initially followed General Scott's plan, rather than to allow General McDowell to do a direct advance leading to the battle of Bull Run.

2. What if Virginia Hadn't seceded from the union

3. What if the south had been allowed to break free from the union and the civil war never happened?

4. What if General Robert E. Lee was shot and killed rather than "Stonewall" Jackson

5. What if the Battle of Gettysburg never happened

i wish more people would reply on these historical threads.

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 07:47 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Apr 11 2008, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Apr 11 2008, 02:28 PM)

haven't had much time for reading of late sad.gif

Why the heck not? You know alot about alot, so where did you find out about it?

--------------------

----

----

« Next Oldest | Non-Fiction | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0550 seconds · Archive