zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Haven Of Wiidom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Soccer?????, Why soccer?>
hellbentnow
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 03:17 PM

The Manga Maniac of Haven

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Soccer? Football?

why do Americans call Football soccer? American football uses hands in their game. While Football or Soccer is a game where you are penalized for touching the ball with your hands.

Soccer or Football

American football.

What do you think?

--------------------
And I say HEY! (HEY!)
What a wonderful kind of day
If we can learn to work and play
And get along with each other.
Hey what a wonderful kind of day hey!
hamboy
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM

Unregistered

Yup. It's called footall, damn it. Calling it soccer is widely seen as an insult to the sport by anyone who is not american.
And American Football is Rugby with padding anyway.
DataSnake
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 03:41 PM

Emperor of Mankind

Member No.: 9

QUOTE (hamboy @ Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM)
Yup. It's called footall, damn it. Calling it soccer is widely seen as an insult to the sport by anyone who is not american.

No, football has different rules from rugby. For one thing, forward passes are permitted in football, making running speed more of an issue. Also, the game is broken up into plays, which calls for a completely different type of strategy.

--------------------
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
hamboy
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 03:47 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (DataSnake @ Mar 31 2008, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (hamboy @ Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM)

No, football has different rules from rugby. For one thing, forward passes are permitted in football, making running speed more of an issue. Also, the game is broken up into plays, which calls for a completely different type of strategy.

I meant that in the braudest sence. I suppose "More similar to Rugby than football" woiuld be a better way of putting it?
Buzz Line
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:28 PM

Voice of the CBUB

Member No.: 15

Because Americans had already been calling football football. Rather than tax the citizens with having to learn something new the powers that be in the US just decided to call this sport soccer because to soc is to kick, and you kick the ball in soccer.

Its the same reason why United States doesn't use metric system, get used to it.

--------------------

You know you love em
user posted image
Wingman
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:41 PM

I'm better than you. That's all I know.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Buzz Line @ Mar 31 2008, 02:28 PM)
Because Americans had already been calling football football. Rather than tax the citizens with having to learn something new the powers that be in the US just decided to call this sport soccer because to soc is to kick, and you kick the ball in soccer.

Its the same reason why United States doesn't use metric system, get used to it.

What he said. cool.gif Nothing wrong with soccer. I just hate how the international community keeps trying to ram the sport down our throats. The 2006 World Cup ratings were at an all-time low, and for the last 15 years, liberals and most non-Americans are demonizing us for not "being accepting and accept this great sport". I don't follow soccer that much, but I do understand and respect their athletes. You try running full speed for about 10 or 11 miles. But dangit, quite calling us "unfair" or "uneducated" for not enjoying the sport as much as American football, baseball, basketball, or hockey. Lots of kids play it (where soccer moms come from), but few continue if after about the age of 15.

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----
I don't smoke, I don't chew... and I don't date girls who do.

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

Wingman
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:43 PM

By the way, anybody know where Sharpshooter is? Haven't seen hide nor hair of him for about a month now.

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

hamboy
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:47 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (Wingman @ Mar 31 2008, 06:43 PM)
By the way, anybody know where Sharpshooter is? Haven't seen hide nor hair of him for about a month now.

He's still around over on the Electric Ferret forums.
Wingman
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:53 PM

QUOTE (hamboy @ Mar 31 2008, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Mar 31 2008, 06:43 PM)

He's still around over on the Electric Ferret forums.

Thanks.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Apr 6 2008, 03:59 PM

Head Admin

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (hellbentnow @ Mar 31 2008, 03:17 PM)
Soccer? Football?

why do Americans call Football soccer? American football uses hands in their game. While Football or Soccer is a game where you are penalized for touching the ball with your hands.

Soccer or Football

American football.

What do you think?

back in the earliest days of american football, i'm talking extremely early, the only way to score was to kick a field goal, and that's why that call it football.

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
« Next Oldest | Members' Zones | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.4830 seconds · Archive