Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Haven Of Wiidom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Mongol Empire v.s The Roman Empire
Wingman
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 06:35 PM

I'm better than you. That's all I know.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (hamboy @ Mar 20 2008, 12:25 PM)
Also Wingman, I have a feeling that you would have liked this.
It's a UK show that has been canceled, but if you can find it on-line, I think you would enjoy it.

Oh yeah, that kind of stuff appears to me. Thanks for the link, hamboy!!! You rock!

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----
I don't smoke, I don't chew... and I don't date girls who do.

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

The Ripper
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 01:10 AM

Knight of the Ivory Axe

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

I cannot decide!

--------------------

QUOTE ("Friedrich Nietzsche")
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you...
Wingman
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 01:41 AM

QUOTE (The Ripper @ Mar 20 2008, 08:10 PM)
I cannot decide!

Cool. That means that it's a good, close fight. If you need help though, Google the Battles of Adrianople, Cannae, or Carhae. It will show you the one weakness of the Roman Army when it fights on open, flat terrain: heavy cavalry archers.

--------------------
"Never in the course of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."- Winston Churchill, commenting on the heroic struggles of the RAF against the German Luftwaffe.

----

----

War produces classic remarks by military commanders; on February 26, 1991, the US 1st Armored Division, the famous Big Red One, encountered the allegedly elite Iraqi Republican Guard. The divisional commander, Major General Ronald Griffiths, radioed his deputy, who was riding with the armored spearhead. "I understand we are engaging the Medina Division?" he said, referring to one of the crack Iraqi Guard divisions. "Negative, sir," came the reply. "We are destroying the Medina Division."
Great proof that despite their quantity, the Soviet tanks that NATO planners feared above all else could be shredded by the M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, LeClerc, Ariete, and Merkava with ease. Patton would be proud.

Supera the Second
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 02:32 AM

Okami... Best Wii game I've played so far!

Member No.: 1

While the mongols were indeed badass, I'd have to go straight for the ancient Roman empire on this one, simply cause they were the greatest western empire to exist in the world, especially for their time, and their mythological gods are cool.

In a real fight, I think it's a toss-up in military strength, but the number goes to the mongols.

--------------------
super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 06:16 PM

Head Admin

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (hamboy @ Mar 19 2008, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Mar 19 2008, 08:06 PM)

where did you get those things above your sig, that say Captain america fan...or hulk fan and all that  huh.gif

Click on one of the bars. They come with a link.
Only through funky mojo can mine be animated

(And also because I can't remember how I did it.)

hey hamboy thanks a lot but i don't see the code oh well thanks anyways

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 06:25 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Mar 24 2008, 01:16 PM)

where did you get those things above your sig, that say Captain america fan...or hulk fan and all that  huh.gif

You're right. I can't get it to show up either. Hit one one of mine. The comic bars, showing "So and so fan" take you to one site. The LT, SS, and "Christian Gamer" bar takes you to another site.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Mar 25 2008, 01:52 PM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Mar 24 2008, 06:25 PM)

You're right. I can't get it to show up either. Hit one one of mine. The comic bars, showing "So and so fan" take you to one site. The LT, SS, and "Christian Gamer" bar takes you to another site.

that's what i did, but on that site, the code you have to copy and paste won't show up

--------------------

"The first shot rang out from somewhere and I heard a bullet wiz by my face. With my pump action shotgun ready, I shoot the first fool I see."

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 01:11 AM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Mar 25 2008, 09:52 AM)

that's what i did, but on that site, the code you have to copy and paste won't show up

Oh. Sorry then.

--------------------

----

----

super_wolverine_Man
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 12:07 AM

Head Admin

QUOTE (Wingman @ Mar 26 2008, 01:11 AM)

Oh. Sorry then.

hey it wasn't your fault wink.gif

--------------------

Grano's so gangster.
Wingman
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 12:33 PM

QUOTE (super_wolverine_Man @ Mar 26 2008, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Wingman @ Mar 26 2008, 01:11 AM)

Oh. Sorry then.

hey it wasn't your fault wink.gif

You're right. I AM VINDICATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't feel bad any more.

--------------------

----

----

boston_celtics
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 01:01 PM

The Bobby Fischer of the CBUB

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Supera the Second @ Mar 21 2008, 02:32 AM)
While the mongols were indeed badass, I'd have to go straight for the ancient Roman empire on this one, simply cause they were the greatest western empire to exist in the world, especially for their time, and their mythological gods are cool.

In a real fight, I think it's a toss-up in military strength, but the number goes to the mongols.

The roman gods were greek rip-offs.

The Mongols were known for their savagery, and they only ever stopped attacking whern their enemies were either all dead or were beaten into submission. They conquered a whole bunch of Europe in the 1200's when the Europeans were all bad-ass with their knights and all that. The Mongol empire conquered Russia.

Who else tried to conquer Russia?

Hitler

Naoleon.

The Mongols conquered the greatest Russian general of them all, General Winter (A term used to describe the Russian winter, whose ferocity has driven entire armies back)

The Mongols endured through Siberian ice and frost, in a time when there were no tanks, when winter clothing was primitive, and when food couldn't be preserved as well as during 1812 or 1942. They endure, and they conquer, and nothing halts their advance. Their cavalry is effective anywhere and everywhere, Korea, India, Russia and China, all kinds of landscape, the cavalry charged!

They were the greatest empire in terms off the sheer scale of the conquered land (I don't consider colonies as conquered land) They win.

--------------------
"History does nothing; it does not possess immense riches, it does not fight battles. It is men, real, living, who do all this."

-Karl Marx

Two words are enough!

BEAT L.A.
Wingman
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 03:50 PM

QUOTE (boston_celtics @ Mar 27 2008, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Supera the Second @ Mar 21 2008, 02:32 AM)

The roman gods were greek rip-offs.

The Mongols were known for their savagery, and they only ever stopped attacking whern their enemies were either all dead or were beaten into submission. They conquered a whole bunch of Europe in the 1200's when the Europeans were all bad-ass with their knights and all that. The Mongol empire conquered Russia.

Who else tried to conquer Russia?

Hitler

Naoleon.

The Mongols conquered the greatest Russian general of them all, General Winter (A term used to describe the Russian winter, whose ferocity has driven entire armies back)

The Mongols endured through Siberian ice and frost, in a time when there were no tanks, when winter clothing was primitive, and when food couldn't be preserved as well as during 1812 or 1942. They endure, and they conquer, and nothing halts their advance. Their cavalry is effective anywhere and everywhere, Korea, India, Russia and China, all kinds of landscape, the cavalry charged!

They were the greatest empire in terms off the sheer scale of the conquered land (I don't consider colonies as conquered land) They win.

While I agree with you on that, I want to draw your attention to the fact that cavalry is not, repeat NOT, a win all panacea in war. Check out the Battle of Tours. The Muslim cavalry were stopped cold in 732 by the heavily armored Frankish warriors. They had wasted every army that came across their path, but when the Franks finally got together and drew up a well thought out battle plan, the Muslims buckled. Read accounts of it. The riders repeated tried to charge the Frankish squares of infantry, but the "icy walls" of men held, partially because of their strength and discipline, and partially because the Muslims were unwilling to completely charge the spear walls with all their might. They were mostly probing and such.

--------------------

----

----

« Next Oldest | Non-Fiction | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0472 seconds · Archive