InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Fire Emblem Spritez. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Den Signal!

Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The 100 Most Critically Acclaimed VGs of the 2000s, What do you think #1 will be?
AdamNW
Posted: Dec 9 2009, 09:16 PM

Residential Vanille fanboy
Group Icon

Group: Role Play Mod
Member No.: 129

BTW, you are free to post in this thread at any time.

In this thread, I'm going to be counting down the 100 most critically acclaimed video games of the current decade (2000-2009). I've shown some people the full list prior to this, so if you guys could avoid spoiling it for everyone else I would appreciate it.

I'm going to list 4-5 games every day until we've reached game #1 on Dec. 31st. Keep in mind that bundles (such as The Orange Box), expansion packs, games that can be considered obsolete (annual sports games, etc.), and remakes of games released prior to 2000 are omitted.

Table of Contents
#94-90
#89-85
#84-80
#79-75
#74-70
#69-65
#64-60
#59-55
#54-50
#49-46
#45-42
#41-38
#37-34
#33-30
#29-26
#25-22
#21-18
#17-14
#13-11
#10-8
#7-5
#4-2

#100: The Sims 2

#99: Mario And Luigi: Bowserís Inside Story

user posted image
Release Date: September 14, 2009
Platform: Nintendo DS
Developer: Nintendo

"...the latest Mario & Luigi is quite simply the best Mario RPG to date -- and I say this as an ardent fan of Paper Mario. All the elements gel perfectly here: The characters, the combat, the game flow, the dialogue. More than that, this is a game that revels in simply being a game. It celebrates the best parts of both role-playing and Mario games while mercilessly lampooning their worst habits. It's absolutely brimming with exuberance." ~1UP

#98: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

#97: God Of War: Chains of Olympus

user posted image
Release Date: March 4, 2008
Platform: Playstation Portable
Developer: Ready at Dawn Studios

"The PSP hasnít yet seen a game with this much polish, this much visual punch, or this much bloody satisfaction. Everything feels meaty, be it the clash of weapon on flesh or the substantial amount of gameplay depth and environmental design. Not only is Chains of Olympus a worthy addition to the God of War franchise, it also stands on its own as a triple-A title in the PSP library." ~X-Play

#96: Viewtiful Joe
#95: Mass Effect

This post has been edited by AdamNW on Nov 1 2010, 07:24 PM

--------------------
AdamNW
Posted: Dec 10 2009, 11:14 PM

Group Icon

#94: Medal of Honor Allied Assault
#93: Metroid Fusion (will edit in info later)

#92: Mario Kart DS
user posted image
Release Date: November 14, 2005
Platform: Nintendo DS

"Mario Kart DS is a blast to play, online or offline. The game's graphics are silky smooth and the track designs are fantastic...If you're looking for the best Mario Kart game ever made, this is it. Mario Kart DS is loaded with unlockables, features excellent gameplay, and with both local wireless and Wi-Fi, it is the best multiplayer game on the Nintendo DS. You will be playing this one for a long time to come. Buy it. Buy it now." ~Gaming Age

#91: Dead or Alive 2
user posted image
Release Date: February 29, 2000
Platform: Sega Dreamcast
Developer: Team Ninja

Dead Or Alive 2 is a remarkable title. The presentation, graphics, sound are superb, and the gameplay is rarely short of spectacular. Anyone who still has doubts about the power of the Dreamcast need only look at this title. If you haven't played your Dreamcast for a while now, this is the perfect opportunity to blow away the cobwebs and invite some friends over. ~FUTURE GAMEZ

#90: Super Mario Sunshine
user posted image
Release Date: August 26, 2002
Platform: Nintendo Gamecube

"This game is simply wonderful. If you have been a fan of Mario for a long time there is no reason to not buy this game. It may not be as innovative as Mario 64, although I would argue the waterpack alone makes it innovative, but it is a challenging game. There are stages that will make you want to pull your hair out to continue in certain areas. This game has vast playability. If you really want to push yourself, go for all 120 shines or you can just go for the minimum and beat the game. This is what makes a game like this great, the playability and the overall fun factor. The graphics may not be the best, but this game is still pure gold." ~Gaming Trend

This post has been edited by AdamNW on Nov 1 2010, 01:00 AM

--------------------
hpty603
Posted: Dec 10 2009, 11:34 PM

Who the hell do you think I am?
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 571

I didn't know if we were supposed to post or not =/

Anyways, I'd agree except that FFX is one of my least favorite games of all time and Rome deserves a higher spot on the list

--------------------
Epic American Fire Emblem Project of America (We had to move boards because of ZOMG DRAMAZ)

Karth Forna, Lancer of Leora
TeeHRz
Posted: Dec 10 2009, 11:40 PM

Advanced FESer
Group Icon

Member No.: 981

I'd agree, except I believe FFX is way better.

--------------------
AdamNW
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 12:17 AM

Group Icon

#89: Pokťmon Gold and Silver
user posted image
Release Date: October 14, 2000
Platform: GameBoy Color
Developer: Gamefreak

You may need to hide it from everyone you know but itís worth it. There is so much to do and you wonít regret it. Itís simply the most depth ever in a hand held game while not too complicated to scare a casual gamer away. So unless youíre playing Majoraís Mask right now, Iím willing to bet this is better than any of those PS2 launch games. So put on a wig and sneak out to your nearest video game retailer and buy Pokemon Gold or Silver. ~Gaming Target

#88: Rachet And Clank: Up Your Arsenal
user posted image
Release Date: November 2, 2004
Platform: Playstation 2
Developer: Insomniac Games

"Up Your Arsenal is a phenomenal game and a great addition to the Ratchet and Clank franchise. With an expanded number of weapons, a humorous plotline and a tribute to side scrolling platformers, Up Your Arsenal is impressive as a single player game. However, itís the inclusion of a fully fleshed out multiplayer mode that truly sets this title apart from many of the other PS2 titles this year. Go out and blow up your friends this holiday season, thanks to Insomniac." ~Game Over

#87: Final Fantasy X
user posted image
Release Date: December 20, 2001
Developer: Square Enix

"The delivery is head and shoulders above any other console RPG, and the overall experience leaves you with such a feeling of satisfaction that it's easy to dive right back into the game once you beaten it just to experience all the big moments again." ~TotalPlaystation

#86: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages
user posted imageuser posted image
Release Date: May 14, 2001
Platform: Game Boy Color
Developers: Capcom, Nintendo

"Although Zelda might seem to be wearing thin over the years, and even though the GameBoy Color is fading into the mists of time, Oracle Of Seasons [and Ages] is a fantastic game that is packed to the brim with fun and adventure. Any Zelda fan, or any action RPG lover should thoroughly enjoy the game." ~RPGamer

#85: Call Of Duty
user posted image
Release Date: October 23, 2003
Platform: Windows (2003), Xbox 360, Playstation 3 (2009)
Developer: Infinity Ward

"Call of Duty is the most realistic war games I have ever played. Not only are the graphics stunning, the sound effects, music, dependence on teammates, weapons, and the overall feel of the game is amazing. In a war that changed everything you get the chance to partake in some of the most epic battles that took place throughout the European front. What really makes the game great is the fierce intensity. It just adds such a realistic touch that for a moment or two you might actually be able to picture what the men of "The Greatest Generation" were put through." ~PC Gaming

This post has been edited by AdamNW on Nov 1 2010, 12:54 AM

--------------------
l33tn3ss
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 11:47 AM

TEEM FOUR TRES TOO
Group Icon

Member No.: 973

QUOTE (hpty603 @ Dec 11 2009, 12:34 AM)
I didn't know if we were supposed to post or not =/

^this, I was SOOO CLOSE to posting, too.

Thanks for the list; it gives me Christmas ideas.

--------------------
That RP guy of mine
Come say hi by email (smashedfishyh@yahoo.com) or Skype (smashedfish76, or Stray Sheep, with this avatar). I'm also SmashedFish on Steam.
Zephiel
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 05:55 PM

Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not
Group Icon

Group: FES Veteran
Member No.: 23

#1 - Super Smash Bros Melee

callin it

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
ArchaiaSai
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 06:21 PM

^-^
Group Icon

Member No.: 919

QUOTE (Zephiel @ Dec 11 2009, 05:55 PM)
#1 - Super Smash Bros Melee

callin it

dont think it will be number one... but callin it in the top 5

hoping tales of symphonia will be in the top 70's or so... multiplayer with that style of platform was awesome even tho the AI sucked.

--------------------
AdamNW
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 07:46 PM

Group Icon

#84: Timesplitters 2
user posted image
Release Date: October 9, 2002
Platforms: Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox
Developer: Eidos

"While Free Radical is still quite young as an individual development house, it's already earned itself quite a reputation. Or rather, the team's history precedes it with a resonance and power few newbie developers could ask for, or for that matter, warrant. TimeSplitters 2 is the team's best effort of two titles, and it shows off its ability to create a finely tuned, highly customizable, intensely exciting first-person console shooter." ~IGN

#83: Shadow Of The Colossus
user posted image
Release Date: October 18, 2005
Developer: Team Ico

"'Shadow of the Colossus' succeeds not through the layers of complexity, hand-jamming combos or by show-off pyrotechnics and unfathomable, forgettable plot-lines. Itís a masterfully understated, beautifully simple, engrossing ride that's as palpitatingly thrilling as it is serenely calming. It's also one of the most consistently compelling and memorable games we've ever played (or witnessed, for that matter). Once you've finished it, you'll sit back and flick through the stand-out memories lodged forever in your mind's eye." ~Eurogamer

#82: Rome: Total War
user posted image
Release Date: September 22, 2004
Platform: PC
Developer: Activision

"Discounting those with short attention spans, any gamers with an interest in the strategy genre owe it to themselves to buy, beg or borrow this game. I'd honestly suggest you steal it if none of those other options seem to work for you but in these days of hasty litigation, I had better refrain from actually encouraging anyone to commit a crime to get hold of this game. Still, with a game this good, it'd be a crime not to play it." ~IGN

#81: World of Warcraft
user posted image
Release Date: November 23, 2004
Platform: PC
Developer: Blizzard Entertainment

"World of Warcraft delivers great atmosphere through simplistic stylized environments, suited music, relevant quests, massive PvP raids, and party adventuring. With their customizable user interface, chat channels, and guild system, it is easy to build strong communities for rich gaming relationships. There are still a few quirks, but none that are uncommon to MMORPGs. Blizzard has indeed raised the bar. The price point, while often tough to cough up, is expected, as few other games offer this level of content and depth. If you enjoy fantasy RPGs and can afford the monthly fees, then World of Warcraft is worth your playing time." ~PC Gaming

#80: Final Fantasy X
user posted image
Release Date: December 20, 2001
Developer: Square Enix

"The delivery is head and shoulders above any other console RPG, and the overall experience leaves you with such a feeling of satisfaction that it's easy to dive right back into the game once you beaten it just to experience all the big moments again." ~TotalPlaystation

This post has been edited by AdamNW on Nov 1 2010, 12:51 AM

--------------------
Isaac55
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 10:27 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Group Icon

Member No.: 945

I despise W.O.W.

I mean, it's alright if you play it, but there are kids in my school who play it 24/7, and is the only thing that is ever on their mind.

--------------------
[Insert awesome sig here]
ArchaiaSai
Posted: Dec 12 2009, 01:54 AM

^-^
Group Icon

Member No.: 919

QUOTE (AdamNW @ Dec 11 2009, 07:46 PM)
@Archai: I thought ToS was awful, :U

not if ur in 7th grade and cant find a better multi active vg.

i also agree with isaac, some kids are just W.O.W.

--------------------
Lubu
Posted: Dec 12 2009, 08:44 AM

The greatest warrior alive
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

I sad.gif at you guys, but then again thats really not what I'm about I enjoy the game, but it certainly doesn't take up any of my time anymore. btw I was wondering if this was all by your preference Adam or if you had gotten it from somewhere?

--------------------
user posted image
CuGAR
Posted: Dec 12 2009, 02:42 PM

Last man standing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 436

@Lubu: I dunno where he's pulling the list, but it's based on critical acclaim.

To everyone arguing with said list: Who the fuck cares about critical acclaim?

--------------------
AdamNW
Posted: Dec 12 2009, 03:27 PM

Group Icon

#79: Virtua Fighter 4
user posted image
Release Date: March 17, 2002 (Original), August 13, 2003 (Evolution)
Developer: Sega

"You can't tell right off the bat, but Virtua Fighter 4 is the best fighting game in years. Even if you've never liked the Virtua Fighter series before--and there's a reasonable chance that's the case, considering the series has never taken off in the US like it has in Japan--you should still give Virtua Fighter 4 a try. The quicker pacing, the perfected controls, and the great-looking character designs, along with the outstanding AI and the unparalleled gameplay depth, make this a fighting game that just about everyone will agree on." ~Gamespot

#78: Assassin's Creed II
user posted image
Release Date: November 17, 2009
Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC
Developer: Ubisoft

"Assassinís Creed II is one of those few games that manage to be both intimate and epic. Both poignant and light hearted. Itís even fun and educational at the same time. Most importantly, ACII is a game that doesnít insult the gamersí intelligence. This is a game that assumes you have an interest in one of the most interesting eras of human history, and a willingness to learn more about it. If not, I hear there are many budget first person shooters to play that wonít stimulate the senses even remotely as well as this masterpiece does." ~Gaming Excellence

#77: Jet Grind Radio
user posted image
Release Date: November 1, 2000
Platform: Dreamcast
Developer: Smilebit

"Jet Grind Radio is easily one of the best games to be developed for Dreamcast. This game just has so much personality itís almost sickening. Perfect graphics and sound, mixed with near flawless gameplay is the ideal recipe for a brilliant game. If this doesnít sell systems, I donít know what will." ~Gaming Target

#76: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
user posted image
Release Date: October 26, 2000
Platform: Nintendo 64

"Majora's mask is a gem in itself. It is a direct follow-up to Ocarina of Time, and the game feels very similar to the first. As stated before, Majora's Mask IS darker (in feeling and graphically) than Ocarina of Time, and has a feeling of urgency flowing through it. The puzzles and dungeons throughout this great adventure are VERY well put together. I'm amazed at the creativity showcased in every corner of this game; it really is amazing. With the new aspect brought in by the 72-hour limit, as well as a whole new world to explore, this game couldn't get any better. This one will keep you busy as long, or longer, than Ocarina of Time did" ~GameBoyz

#75: Mario Kart Super Circuit
user posted image
Release Date: August 27, 2001
Platform: GameBoy Advanced
Developer: Intelligent Systems

"...it's that randomness which gives Mario Kart most of its appeal. Races tend to be quick and absurdly frantic affairs, with the action so close that it's impossible to determine a winner until everyone's crossed the finishing line. There is obviously scope for bettering your skills both as driver and combatant, and the sense of achievement from outplaying the competition is immense, but ultimately Super Circuit's greatest achievement has to be how immediately and universally the game's exceptional thrills can be enjoyed." ~Pocket Gamer UK

This post has been edited by AdamNW on Nov 1 2010, 07:21 PM

--------------------
hpty603
Posted: Dec 12 2009, 06:42 PM

Who the hell do you think I am?
Group Icon

Member No.: 571

Jet Grind Radio was the most fun game I've ever played. It's a shame I can't remember much about it, but that it was just so much fun

--------------------
Epic American Fire Emblem Project of America (We had to move boards because of ZOMG DRAMAZ)

Karth Forna, Lancer of Leora
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1060 seconds | Archive
Affiliates
Fire Emblem Planet Fire Emblem Fusion
Kyrite by Nephos of the IFSZ