DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

CotM
LATEST NEWS
Quotes

Big News!
readmereadmereadme

Current Season: Winter

The Newbie Guide | Staff Info | Player/Character List | Rules | FAQs | Plot

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Steady as she goes, [Welkin]
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 02:01 AM

in and out of weeks

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Welkin relaxed now that the subject of Galia had been dropped. He'd been a little scared there, for a moment.

He paused with Zaman at the intersection and glanced around. Unfortunately he didn't really notice the old-Escovan charm of the buildings. They did seem cleaner and more ornate than most buildings in the Quarter, but that didn't say much. Welkin spent his energy looking for suspicious behavior or funny looks.

"Yeah, it's nice," he said distractedly.
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 03:03 AM

i was a heavy heart to carry

Member No.: 7

Zaman gave the boy a sidelong look.

“Something on your mind, friend?” His smile had eased back into something more neutral, but there were still something in his gaze; something scrutinizing. Yar Zaman Jaraei could have been studying the boy.
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 03:12 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin didn't notice the look. "Just looking out for anyone who wants to kill us."
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 03:20 AM

His smile was wry.

“Do people try to kill you here often?”
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 03:27 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin thought for a moment. "Well, two out of three times. This is my third. My odds don't feel all that great."
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 06:34 AM

At first it started as pursed lips. Then they trembled, flaring into a smile.

Then Zaman was laughing.

His laughter boomed through the little square, echoing off the limestone buildings. One arm went around Welkin's neck and shoulder, pulling the boy towards him in a brotherly sort of hug. “Are you talking about that time when that Refugee woman slapped you?” Zaman asked. He then jabbed the thumb of his free hand into his own chest. “Because I don't count that as a near-death experience.”

Lords of Escova.

This Welkin sure had an imagination on him.
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 05:16 PM

in and out of weeks

Welkin's frown grew steadily darker and a blush steadily more apparent the more Zaman's smile grew. When the man actually laughed at him, Welkin was ready to just turn and leave. Of course, Zaman gave him something of a brotherly hug, which was even more annoying.

"During the riot I ran into the man again," Welkin said. "He was going to kill me. I killed some of his companions and he ran off." He cast a glance around the square again. "I don't really want to run into him again."
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 11:03 PM

Zaman tightened his arm around Welkin, leaning on the lanky frame of the scout. This was rich, he realized.

This was hilarious.

“Man, some people and the chips on their shoulders, yeah?” He shook his head. Zaman then extended a free hand out to illustrate something. His fingers pulled in and then exploded it out. He made sound effects to go with the movements. “All that pent up anger. One day you're telling them to take it inside, and then next...boom! They want you dead in a riot.”
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 01:12 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin stood as still and stiff as he possibly could. His frown was one facial tic away from a glower. "Why do you find this so funny?" he snapped. "It's not."
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 01:58 AM

Zaman finally pushed away.

"The question is, why don't you find it funny? Why don't you find anything funny?" If Welkin thought Zaman hadn't noted the little attitude problem the Refugee scout had, he was wrong. Zaman hadn't seen the boy smile properly once.

Then again, he figured a lot of that could be attributed to Galia. She could rip the smile of a man's face with a few carefully chosen words.

And if that didn't work, she had that knife of hers tucked away in a boot.
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 02:12 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin stiffened, almost insulted. "I find things funny!" he objected. "Just not the thought of people trying to kill me, or even wanting to. I've spent most of my life with that feeling and I'm tired of it." He looked around again, at the mothers shepherding their children away, men haggling over food while glancing in the soldiers' direction, some people who just outright stared.

He dragged both hands down his face. Now that he thought of it, being a soldier didn't really alleviate the tension and anxiety he'd felt as a pirate.
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 02:18 AM

His smile faded gradually.

Peering closely at Welkin, Zaman took a few seconds to study the boy. "You know I won't let you die around me, right? Or have we not established that?" Zaman felt like he was trustworthy enough. He had that face, people said. That nice, handsome face—a face that you could rely on to keep you alive. Broad, open, honest. He wondered if Welkin understood that.

Probably not. His sense of humour seemed to be as dry as Galia's emotional capacity.
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 02:24 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin stared in silence for a few tell-tale moments. "I believe you'll try," he finally said. "But I don't really trust my life to anyone."

Saying it aloud made it painfully true in his mind. He wouldn't even trust Isa or Galia with it. Trust only went so far in the world.
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 02:29 AM

Zaman placed both hands on the boy's shoulder.

"Good. If I ever ask you to trust me with your life, run. Run fast."

And then he let go of the boy and turned to survey the little enclave again, his green eyes hovering over stalls and merchants. They seemed better dressed here. Better fed too. This place—Zaman wasn't sure there was a name for it—was the overlap between the Quarter and the city proper. Not poor, but not quite Escovan either.

Sometime later, he spoke again, his eyes still surveying the enclave with a mix of boredom and interest. "So what do you find funny, Welkin?"
Welkin Njordson
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 02:35 AM

in and out of weeks

Welkin stared, deadpanned, at Zaman. "I'll remember that," he grumbled.

They continued surveying the area, and Welkin thought maybe they would just finish the circuit in silence, but such a gift was not to be his. Unfortunately Zaman's question caught him somewhat off guard. He supposed he should have expected it, given their conversation, but it still surprised him.

His answer was even worse. "Uhm. I...don't really know. Funny stories. Jokes. The usual funny things, I guess."
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

topic options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4 

Zoom Zoom Log In

{ MEMBERS | SEARCH | INDEX }

cbox and information

ESCOVA is officially OPEN!.

Quick Links:
Information
Rules
Staff

Listed at:
Birthright RPG-D RPGfix

Skin © Uz, Dun & Alina

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3932 seconds | Archive
  • Q
  • W
  • I
  • C
  • K
  •  
  • L
  • O
  • G
  • I
  • N