MEMBERS | SEARCH | INDEX

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free

CotM
LATEST NEWS
Quotes

Big News!
readmereadmereadme

Current Season: Winter

The Newbie Guide | Staff Info | Player/Character List | Rules | FAQs | Plot

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

crime and punishment
Urien Madox
Posted: May 23 2012, 04:25 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

I am okay with just making this shit up as I go (as many of my decisions are made if you didn't notice already :P), but I just wanted to clarify a few things before I go ahead and just...you know...assume dumb things:

1) Where is the primary jail on Escova? I want to guess there's probably a holding facility for criminals within the Military district of Maristheum, and maybe a smaller place in Kyha. But I don't want to guess wrong. Should I also assume that these jails are not intended for long term incarceration, but more like temporary storage until sentencing?

2) Is there a solid judicial system in place, with a full out trial and hearing, or does that fall to the judgment of the local ruling authority, or...? Similarly, is there a separate system in place for military tribunals?

3) Are there federal laws in place in regards to determining appropriate punishment for a crime, or does that vary between towns and justice is to be enforced by locals? Can Refugees get away with punishing other Refugees in accordance to their own system (i.e. cutting off a hand for theft because that's how they do it in old country), without facing penalty from Citizen laws if they run into conflict with them? Do people just not...care?

4) Is capital punishment a big thing, or is Escovan society more lax on doling out consequences? What severity of crime warrants different types of sentences? Etc.

YEAH SO I LIKE DETAILS, SORRY. ANSWER AT YOUR LEISURE AND TO WHATEVER DEPTH YOU CHOOSE. I'm just...curious.
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: May 23 2012, 04:46 AM

i was a heavy heart to carry

Member No.: 7

NOPE ITS ANARCHY EVERYWHERE.
Galia Baryk
Posted: May 23 2012, 04:55 AM

miss hobbella mcgee

Member No.: 36

cool cool cool

sounds legit

brb going to send one of my characters on a murdering spree
Dun
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:04 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It's a stupid hour for me to try to be making sense, but I'm gonna try because I think you're great. wink.gif

Since I'm the government guru 'round here, I'm going to try to get a lot of this stuff settled for ya.

1) There's a dungeon beneath the castle, but that's not where the petty thieves and such end up. The big-time criminals are held there along with those who have committed crimes within or directly offending those within the castle. Your everyday naughty guy would end up in a jail by the barracks (as the military handles the patrols of the city and most law enforcement stuff- they're Escova's cops). This would probably be a collection of cells beneath a building A similar jail would exist in Kyha. You're right in thinking they aren't really meant for long-term incarceration. I imagine there would be sentences involving a loss of property, a lot of fines, forced labor, exile, possibly death, etc.-- things that get people out of the jails and either back into society to be productive or out of everyone's hair.

2) Escova's largely comparable to a Feudal judiciary system in that the nobility is responsible for acting as judges outside the cities. For example, if a crime happens on a baron's land, he's responsible for hearing the case and determining guilt and punishment. A baron accused would be tried by the court of his duke. The nobles would be assisted by their vassals (knights, lower nobility, etc.), who would be called to help in the administration of justice (much like the King and his court). Appeals would be made to the King, if necessary.

Within cities, criminals are handled by the military. In the case of Maristheum, the high-ranking officers are tasked with the judicial process (captains, the High General . . .). Particularly severe offenses would be sent to the castle to be heard by the King and Queen.

The military handles crime within its own ranks, and the Mage's Guild is responsible for the punishments for magical crimes.

3) There isn't a lot in terms of written law. Much is decided based on a noble's judgment, precedents, and the like. Assume that the punishment for a lot of the common crimes is the payment of fines. Punishment may also be determined by the offender's personal means. After all, you can't say that the punishment for theft of X thing is to take a man's goat if not every guilty person even owns a goat! wink.gif Also, refugees can definitely run into trouble for administering their own forms of justice. The military may not always find out about that, but it's not permitted.

4) The penalty of death exists, particularly for repeat offenders of the more serious crimes, treasonous persons, etc. Because there isn't some massive code of law with predetermined punishments, I can't quite provide a chart of common offenses and their repercussions, but you could expect things to be a little on the harsh side but without a lot of "Well, you did something naughty, so stay in jail." The Escovans don't do a lot of sheltering and feeding criminals for a long time just to keep them from stealing or doing naughty drugs again. They're not quite so nice.
uzair
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:08 AM

That Guy

Member No.: 2

A+

The Mage's Guild has its own tribunal systems with the Master Mages holding court when a Magic Crime is committed. Since magic is dangerous and regulated, the penalties are probably harsher.

I think Barez once mentioned to Ari that the easiest way to rob a mage of power would be to cut out said Mage's tongue. So if a Mage does something horrible, expect a tongue cutting.

The end.
Dun
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:09 AM

Administrator

Gawd, that's awesome. >_< I want a mage character without a tongue. SOMEONE GET ON THAT.
Urien Madox
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:18 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76

...cutting out the tongue? WHAT ARE WE, THE QUNARI???

yay i love you guys thank you so much for your swift answers! i'm glad my mental interpretations prior to asking were pretty close to what you've said, but it is very good to know the actual facts so i don't say or do something really dumb or egregious

here is my heart you own it forever
user posted image
uzair
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:26 AM

That Guy

Member No.: 2

MINE. IM KEEPING IT BACK OFF DUN.
Dun
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:33 AM

Administrator

-ANGRY CHILDISH SHRIEKING SQUEAL OF DISPLEASURE-
Galia Baryk
Posted: May 23 2012, 05:59 AM

miss hobbella mcgee

Member No.: 36

oh no don't fight! here have two more

user posted image

ps -- this is unrelated and i'm just extremely excited about everything in these plots, kinda anxious like a doggy that needs to piddle, buuuut what's going on in ze kettlemarsh next? and can i contribute somehow.
Dun
Posted: May 23 2012, 06:12 AM

Administrator

After I sleep, I will PM you about Kettlemarsh things, biscuit. I'm sure you can has something fun to do in NEXT STEP of KETTLEMARSH FUN. wink.gif You know it's just going to keep getting worse before it gets better!
Andrezi Damask
Posted: May 23 2012, 02:21 PM

with the furies breathing down your neck

Member No.: 5

I AM AN ADMIN TOO SO I AM GOING TO CONFIRM WHAT ALL THEY SAID.

Thank you and good day.
Zaman Jaraei
Posted: May 23 2012, 02:44 PM

i was a heavy heart to carry

Member No.: 7

HELLO BUT GALIA AND ZAMAN CAN TAKE ANOTHER WATCH AT DAWN AGAIN.
Emiko Jaraei
Posted: May 23 2012, 03:05 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 174

--invades the awesomeness that is Lee question--

I was curious too how this differs for refugee's who commit crimes because they are not civilians. Would they just be executed?
Nyarai Khartuul
Posted: May 23 2012, 03:14 PM

who's to say

Member No.: 11

Nope.

Same process.

Probably a little harsher, but certainly not DEATH FOR EVERYTHING THEY DO. Probably just higher fines and quicker (also: less fair) trails.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

topic options Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Zoom Zoom Log In

{ MEMBERS | SEARCH | INDEX }

cbox and information

ESCOVA is officially OPEN!.

Quick Links:
Information
Rules
Staff

Listed at:
Birthright RPG-D RPGfix

Skin Uz, Dun & Alina

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1412 seconds | Archive
  • Q
  • W
  • I
  • C
  • K
  •  
  • L
  • O
  • G
  • I
  • N